1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Upcoming guitar purge.

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by John Backlund, Nov 29, 2020.

1. John Backlund

John Backlund Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I've decided to sell off as many as a dozen of my guitars, eight of which are Eastwood 'Backlund' models.

My old MIM telecaster won't be among them.

2. 68Telebass

68Telebass Friend of Leo's

Ok....:cool:
    Listing them in classified??

John Backlund likes this.
  3. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire

I think I have said that same thing 3 times this year alone only to recant a day or two later. It is interesting how my mood can change like that, one day those things really inspire me and other days I could push them off a bridge for some cash.

If you do go through with it, be sure to post what you got to give us a jump on other buyers.

4. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

unsolicited tip - include right of first refusal for buy-back?

congrats on taking steps to a lighter footprint :cry:

Peace - Deeve

let me know when the bikes go on sale. . .

5. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

Life goes in cycles.
    A time for gathering.
    A time for selling off.

Seems like I read something about that in a pretty famous book.

6. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Friend of Leo's

It feel good to purge.

I had a huge guitar/bass purge about 5 years ago, and sold off 35+/- guitars and basses.

I no longer buy low-med good quality guitars/basses no matter if they are steals.

Not trying to be snobby, but I'll only buy good quality USA & MIJ guitars/basses if I can get steals on them.

I decided when I buy a guitar or bass, I want them to sound and play great,but I also want them to hold their value.

I'm at about 54+/- guitars/basses, and I think it's time for another purge myself.

Good luck with yours John.

7. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

As another who counts his guitars by the dozens- it's nice to see someone actually has more than I do.

And I totally empathize with your use of "about" and "+/-" :p

8. John Backlund

I just get tired of such a load of guitars hanging around that I really have no intention of playing. My excuse has been that I may have the opportunity to display my collection of creative guitar work someplace, sometime, but that sort of thing never materializes, and I don't put much effort into that sort of thing anyway.

It all just ends up being baggage that serves no purpose.

I'll still have more than enough guitars around here, and a much higher percentage of ones I actually use.

I'll post them here in the classifieds a few days before I throw them up on eBay and Reverb. Probably on Tuesday, then elsewhere of Friday.

SRHmusic and 68Telebass like this.
  9. Chuckster

Chuckster Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Would you be kind enough to sign them?

carpenter likes this.
  10. John Backlund

I'll be signing the back of the headstocks on all the Backlund guitars I sell, and also using an individually unique number that I put on any Backlund guitar that I owned.

I sold this red/cream model 100 earlier in the year, and signed it this way. The number is my birth date: 01/23/1951, sans slash separations.
    IMG_20201004_090545153.jpg

I still have this black/green model 100, and signed it the same way, but with a different letter next in the sequence, which is how I intend to do all of them,
    A, B, C, D....etc.
    IMG_20201004_091008467.jpg

I'd sign them on the front of the body if requested, but I hesitate to do that, preferring somewhere a little more discreet.

11. 68Telebass

68Telebass Friend of Leo's

Thanks, @John Backlund ! May be out of my means, but you never know!! (Just what I don’t need...:oops:)
    I’ll be looking!! Carl

12. percy

percy Tele-Meister

Oh how i wish it was easy to purchase from America.

13. Chevalier

Chevalier TDPRI Member

unsolicited tip - include right of first refusal for buy-back?

This is an excellent tip from Deeve!

14. posttoastie

posttoastie Tele-Afflicted

Does Bill Nelson need any more?
    [​IMG]

Treynor, buster poser, tery and 2 others like this.
  15. Nightclub Dwight

Nightclub Dwight Tele-Afflicted

It would be cool to display your collection before selling it. Don't discount the possibility. Here in Pittsburgh, one of our friends lives in the second floor of a small commercial building. The first floor is totally open, and he uses it as a practice space for his bands. But every year we put on an art show there showcasing female artists. We don't charge a commission for anything they sell. Its a great event every year.

There might be something available near you that would serve the same purpose. it doesn't have to be a dedicated art gallery. I think Backland guitars would appeal to a wide audience, more so than an exhibit of more traditional guitars. I'm serious, you really should look into this. You might be able to sell a few during the show.

The way we do it is that we have an opening night party with boxes of wine and snacks. We invite the whole arts community in town and hundreds show up. Most of the artists are there too and they sell quite a bit that night. Its really only open to the public that one night, but if someone is interested in buying something we'd accommodate getting them in there to look afterwards. Then, a week or two later we have the artists come back and pick up anything that didn't sell.

This would be so cool, and I think it would bring you some well deserved recognition from an appreciative audience. If we lived closer I would totally set this up for you.

StevesBoogie, Sybo and John Backlund like this.
  16. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

John

What cool designs you hv!

17. John Backlund

It's a little late to change my direction now, I could use the money from the sale of a number of them a lot more than I care about keeping so many of them that just hang here on a wall.

A couple years ago, I would have been interested in a display of them, which would have ideally also included some of the original prototypes as well as the original concept art that they were created from, but as the saying goes, 'that ship has sailed'.

Oh, hell, I'll probably just take whatever money I get from the guitars and go buy another motorcycle. I'll still have a bunch of guitars to play, and I can always use another motorcycle.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2020
  18. John Backlund

They'll still be available elsewhere if he decided to aquire a fourth JB guitar.

LPTyler and posttoastie like this.
  19. John Backlund

I currently have one in the marketplace here, and will likely ad a few more tomorrow, but my best bets are the local CL for the cheap ones, then Reverb and eBay for the Eastwood Backlunds.

20. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

I think Pete Seeger wrote a song like that

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.