(Up to) 10 best guitar tones.

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by dlew919, Feb 4, 2017.

1. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

Brian may. Everything.
    I love the use of the delay pedal on jeff becks 'scared for the children' as well as the tone.

Eric Clapton, bad love.

2. W.L.Weller

W.L.Weller Tele-Holic

Grant Green - Miss Ann's Tempo
    Robert Ward - Hot Stuff
    Sonic Boom - Walkin' With Jesus (demo)
    Dave Davies - You Really Got Me
    Jimi Hendrix - Third Stone From the Sun
    Sister Rosetta Tharpe - Up Above My Head (the live version where she's standing in front of the choir)

boy I could do this all day..

3. Minimalist518

Minimalist518 Tele-Afflicted

Off the top of my head, in no particular order and kind of stream of consciousness:
    1.) Peter Green/Danny Kirwin on “Rattlesnake Shake” by the first iteration of Fleetwood Mac (The version I’m thinking of is a video on YouTube from old TV special, apparently at the Playboy Mansion – kinda weird – where they just kill!)
    2.) Tom Verlaine/Richard Lloyd on “Friction” (Anything by Television, really)
    3.) Paul Weller’s Rick-through Vox on “In the City” by the Jam
    4.) Mick Jones and Joe Strummer on “Tommy Gun” and/or “Clash City Rockers” by the Clash; it just peels the vinyl right out of the grooves.
    5.) Syd Barrett on “Lucifer Sam” by Pink Floyd
    6.) Robert Fripp on “Starless” by King Crimson; melodic/melancholy Fripp morphing into angular, muscular, wiry Fripp. (I’m also bending the rules and sneaking in “Fade Away and Radiate” by Blondie to get fluid, soaring Fripp in there.)
    7.) Mick Ronson on “Width of a Circle” and “Moonage Daydream” on the Last Ziggy Stardust concert album.
    8.) Buddy Guy, “I Gotta Try You, Girl” springs to mind, but anything from Sweet Tea. You could boil up a pot of black-as-pitch campfire coffee with his tone from that album.
    9.) Anything by Cliff Gallup with Gene Vincent and the Blue Caps; “Who Slapped John” comes immediately to mind because my name is John and I had a girlfriend who put that song on a mixed tape for me because the thought of slapping me amused her, LOL.
    10.) “Walkin’ the Boogie” by John Lee Hooker. The recording with the normal solo, not the sped-up one.
    Rounding out to fifteen because ten really isn’t enough:
    1.) Brian May, “Great King Rat” by Queen; his early proto-metal stuff is undeservedly overlooked
    2.) Pretty much everything Pete Townsend played on The Who Live at Leeds; that’s one of the great all time live albums
    3.) The same thing for Rick Nielson on Cheap Trick Live at Budokon
    4.) David Gilmour, all of it; I’m sorry, I can’t choose
    5.) Mark Knopfler, “Tunnel of Love”
    And, not strictly within the OP's parameters, maybe the best (or most memorable/impactful) live tones I’ve had the privilege of witnessing in person were:
    6.) Gang of Four at the QE2 (our old punk rock club here in Albany NY, closed years ago) and
    7.) Fugazi on a bill with about seventeen other bands at Saratoga Winners (a sweaty, drafty, dry as tinder barn/Cocoanut-Grove-waiting-to-happen presupposing to be a mid-level venue.)

basher likes this.
  4. coolikedat99

coolikedat99 Tele-Meister

1. Warren Hayes (in Gov’t Mule)- on a live version of Since I’ve Been Loving You

2. Brian May- everything

3. Jeff Buckley- Forget Her and Everybody Here Wants You

4. John Petrucci- Pull Me Under

5. Jimmy Page- everything

6. John Frusciante- everything

7. Nick Valensi (from The Strokes)- The Modern Age and Under Cover of Darkness

8. Eric Clapton (in Cream)- Sunshine of Your Love

9. Carlos Santana- Smooth

10. Jack White- Ball and Biscuit

5. cabra velha

cabra velha Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Grant Green, Idle Moments
    Mark Knopfler, really everything
    Larry Carlton, really everything
    Kenny Burrell, Midnight Blue
    Urge Overkill, I can rarely tell exactly who is playing what but Saturation, Enter the Dragon and R&R Submarine all work
    The Rev Billy G, up to Fandango but I haven't listened to much after MTV days
    The Smithereens, saw them live a couple times in modest sized venues and my ears are still ringing
    B.B. King, I was fortunate to see him live several times and he was the real deal
    Elliot Randall on all the Steely Dan stuff
    Wes Montgomery and his magic thumb

6. knopflerfan

knopflerfan Tele-Afflicted

Mark Knopfler - pretty much everything, but especially "Sultans Of Swing", "Down To The Waterline", and "You And Your Friends".
    David Gilmour - pretty much everything, but especially on DSOTM, WYWH, and Animals.
    George Harrison - "And Your Bird Can Sing"(although McCartney also played guitar and bass on it) and "Day Tripper"(although Lennon played guitar on it, also).
    Jimmy Page - pretty much everything, but especially on "Stairway To Heaven".
    Stephen Stills - a whole lot of tunes, but especially on Crosby, Stills and Nash and CSN.
    Paul Kossoff - "All Right Now".
    Dan Fogelberg - most of his acoustic stuff, but especially on "Changing Horses".
    Don Felder - "Hotel California", along with Joe Walsh.
    Joe Walsh - "Walk Away", "Funk #49", and "Rocky Mountain Way".
    Steve Lukather - "Hold The Line".

7. Snowbird

Snowbird Tele-Meister

I love the tones on Sister Havana

8. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

Frank Black and Lyle Workman both had killer guitar tones on the two albums "The Cult of Ray" and "Frank Black & The Catholics"

9. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

1-Robert Cray-'in the dirt'
    2-Ritchie Blackmore- Farmers daughter
    3- Mark Knopler- Sultans of Swing
    4-Keith Richards-Sympathy for the devil
    5- whoever played on Van. morrisons'- In the back room'
    6- Buddy Miller- Three Dollar Bombs
    7- Jimmy Page- Ten Years Gone
    8- Rory Gallegher- Hot Rod Ford
    9- Adrian Belew- Mata Kudusai
    10- Robin Trower- Long misty Days

That was the most random arbitrary list I could do ten others and the songs aren't particularly, particular...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.