Unwanted, Unsolicited Mail

Chester P Squier

Friend of Leo's
I don't know if this has anything to do with anything, but since we quit answering our landline, we get less junk mail. And our mobile phones will show "Spam risk."

Or maybe the junk mailers know we're three-score and ten plus and living on retirement.

teleman1

Friend of Leo's
So whatever happened to the "paperless" society we were promised?
When corporations decide what is best for you, that is it. THe explanation can't be discussed here because it breaks the rules. Induced downward spiral is where we are at.

teleman1

Friend of Leo's
There is a place in Hyde park, London, I think they called it "Peoples corner" ANYONE can get up and discuss their beliefs about anything. That vibe has been and will be expiring soon. And, no one will realize it has happened and no few will welcome it.

Festofish

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I’ve been saying this for years. Do you know how much deforestation and pollution we could avoid simply by banning unsolicited mail.

Don’t get me started on the military industrial complex. We have missiles, hackers and drones. Why do we need billions of dollars of physical gear? Of course we have to keep making it so thousands of Americans have jobs. I’m sure they could do something more productive with the machines and labor. Make yugos or something. Tubes! Flip one of them plants and start making tubes!

RolandG

Tele-Meister
There is a place in Hyde park, London, I think they called it "Peoples corner" ANYONE can get up and discuss their beliefs about anything. That vibe has been and will be expiring soon. And, no one will realize it has happened and no few will welcome it.
Speakers’ Corner

RolandG

Tele-Meister
I get tax demands from the IRS, which is interesting since I haven’t been to the US since the week before 9/11. I also get political emails from both the Republicans and the Democrats telling me how despicable the other party is.

boris bubbanov

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
That works about as well as politely asking a solicitation phone caller to remove your number from their call list. That only prompts them to put your number on the "SPECIAL" number list.....they now know yours is a good, working number, and someone actually answers the phone when it rings. (Target Acquired, Sir.....)
I hear you.

My Mom will be 95 in August, and she diligently answers the land line as the same cadre of foreign sounding solicitors calls her over and over to try and sell her stuff. She's quite polite and takes up a lot of their time before she informs them, eventually, that she's not interested. So, she's not out any money. But the number of these callers seems to be multiplying - I think they sell her name and number to others, and it helps them pay their expenses.

I try to console myself, that Mom is staying tuned up on her interpersonal skills. But there are more important things she could be doing.

RetiredUnit1

Tele-Meister
Make paper airplane. Sail it over the cats heads. With shop vac, vacuum up shredded junk mail half an hour later. Izzy and Vida LOVE junk mail!!!

Stringbanger

Telefied
Ad Free Member
What gets my goat are the unsolicited spam calls. WTF!! I never answer numbers that are not familiar, and then I block and delete them. Those cowards never leave a voice message. Often times I am tempted to answer one of their calls, but I refrain for fear of the calls doubling.

Unsolicited phone calls are one of the stupidest things In the world! Can’t they use their time more constructively? Although I get it. They just hit a button and launch a hundred calls.

gimmeatele

Friend of Leo's
Doesn't seem such a problem in Spain, but in the UK if it came with an envelope it got ripped up, put in the prepaid envelope and sent back, let them deal with it