Unusually high call volume

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Art VanDelay, Jan 6, 2019.

1. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

The missing information in that message is that there's two customer service reps with an average call time of 14 minutes.

But, guaranteed if you take your phone and start taking a pee and set it down on the sink on speakerphone, you'll get through to a rep right in the middle of your pee.

2. O- Fender

O- Fender Tele-Afflicted

Just so happens I am scrolling through this post while on the phone with my bank. I'm trying to get through to the fraud department and report an unauthorized charge. Over $100 at a convenience store I have never set foot in. Had to look up where it is .

45 minutes on hold so far.

Heavy sigh.

3. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

Take your phone to the bathroom and try my trick - take a loud pee. Guarantee you'll get through right in the middle of it.

4. Kingpin

Kingpin Friend of Leo's

"Your call is important to us, but not important enough to hire more people."

Geo and Wildcard_35 like this.
  5. Nubs

Nubs Tele-Afflicted

"Your call is very important to us, please continue to hold" sounds like an oxymoron to me.

The other related thing I find fascinating is how everyone's menu options have recently changed.

Geo and R. Stratenstein like this.
  6. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Friend of Leo's

Return On Investment (ROI) = get minimum-waged-$ foreign-speaking responders seems to be normal in USA now.

7. Art VanDelay

Art VanDelay Tele-Holic

In all honesty, the worst part of being on hold (other than the waiting) is the music.

I don't know about other folks, but I put it on speaker phone. No way I'm holding a phone to my ear for 10+ minutes.

So I listen to loud awful music or turn it down so that I can't hear anyone pick up.

8. Special Tom

Special Tom Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I am retiring at the end of the month. I applied for Social Security benefits in Dec. and am supposed to start receiving checks in Feb. Because of the Govt. shut down I thought I should check on my application. When I made the call the answering robot told me that my approximate wait time was 45 minutes. Since I'm at work not doing much I did the time. Throughout the awful music time a voice would come on and tell me about going online to get answers or continue to wait. Every minute or so the message would apologize for me having to wait so long---Ok once or twice should be enough, but I continued to wait and almost to the minute (45 minutes) a SS representative answered my call. I picture a 44 minute break between her last call and answering mine but the robot also would say some time periods are busier than others but never said that they were experiencing high call volume.

9. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

I prefer the option where you can enter a phone number that they call back, rather than sitting online. More than once my battery dies during that wait :mad:

Peregrino69 and Art VanDelay like this.
  10. Nubs

Nubs Tele-Afflicted

We recently implemented this at my work. Our members love it!

11. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

You could probably put a stop to that by getting everyone you know to call the same business or service all day, every day for a few weeks. You could also give the number out to any scammers or charities that call you so they all start calling them too.
    Government departments are the worst for call waiting which is ridiculous considering they take obscene amounts of money for doing nothing.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
  12. bluesky1963

bluesky1963 Tele-Afflicted

I came to that conclusion a long time ago after listening to people whine and complain about ship times and tracking. They would have never survived the old days when you had to cut the coupon out of the magazine, mail it in with a check or money order, then wait anywhere from 2 to 6 weeks for delivery with no tracking whatsoever!

Ricky D. and DHart like this.
  13. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Yep. Nowadays the Amazon Prime driver will throw your order out on the driveway, in the rain, and not even blow the horn to let you know you’ve got a delivery!

bluesky1963 likes this.
  14. Peregrino69

Peregrino69 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Wait, what? I'm expressing a cynical view on the human behavior as a group, and you're calling me "gullible"??? Well that's a first :D

Of course modern history is full of examples where "bad service" has taken down multi-billion dollar enterprises. Microsoft and Apple are in their death throes, as are Comcast and AT&T. Verizon's practically a goner already. It's just a matter of time when people rise to the barricades. In protest they will en masse flock to Linux and close down their cable, internet and wireless phone accounts, not to mention their insurances. Because the companies are then faced with immense loss of profit, they will be forced to immediately hire a large number of new employees to improve their customer service operations, which obviously will boost the local employment. Right?

The all-encompassing goal is to eliminate human element from customer service entirely. Unlike sales CS provides no financial influx whatsoever, it's only an expense.

There are different approaches to this. One is instructing CS employees to upsell the caller. "Oh your internet isn't fast enough? Well we can upgrade you to our Premium Plus where you get twenty more TV channels and seven telephones. For a small monthly fee of $5 we can also link your wireless services to the same account.". Added benefit for the company is that sales work for commission, whereas CS usually works for fixed fee - no percentages to give incentives. The best upseller might be named "employee of the month" and get a handshake from the CS manager accompanied with free coffee and an apple pie.

Another, even more widely deployed method is putting more information in the publicly available knowledge bases. When you call CS, you will more often than not hear "Did you know that you can find answers to many common questions in our website?". A lot of companies also include "virtual assistants" you can "chat" with using common language. This approach is known as "Shift Left".

As AIs are improving your first point of contact, whether by phone, email or chat, will more often than not be a machine. Today some companies still do have first line agents whose job is "Please wait, I'll connect you to <department>", but these are actively being replaced by automated IVRs, increasing number of which don't anymore even provide the option to wait or press zero to talk to a living, breathing CS representative.

Quoting myself... "To publicly admit the real factors behind sub-standard service including long wait times would put any company in a very bad light".

Me too. Not a very common occurrence, tho. Outgoing calls are also an expense to be budgeted.

You're darn right. They sound foreign because they are. The service is either offshored or more commonly entirely outsourced. Customer service is not counted among core competencies of an ISP or a cable provider... funnily enough not really even for a retail chain. While US is certainly the leader here, it's very much a global phenomenon. Even company in-house IT services, HR or payroll are increasingly being loaded off.

At the turn of the century India was The Location. At the time you could get ten employees at the price of one in a high cost country (read: the "western world"). Lately they've been a bit of pricing themselves out, so services are moving to Malaysia, Philippines, Indonesia etc. US companies may also outsource closer to home, like Mexico or somewhere in Caribbean. Here the locations are most often somewhere in Eastern Europe.

I doubt that very much.

Taking calls isn't the only thing they do, the job includes data entry (calls are usually logged), responding to emails, creating reports... and you can be certain the govt shutdown hasn't caused a decrease of incoming calls. There's a good chance that a significantly larger-than-usual amount of the callers are also irate or downright abusive. It's a much more likely possibility that a significant number of this person's colleagues have reported in sick. Remember that while your benefit is being delayed, they aren't getting paid either. So while I do feel for you, I also feel for them. They also have bills to pay, food to buy, kids to school, commuting isn't exactly free...

I hope you have tax refunds due, IRS is apparently paying those off, shutdown or not.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
  15. telepicker52

telepicker52 Tele-Holic

I called the Peavey customer service line today and only waited for 5 seconds and a real human being answered my call and my question!! UNBELIEVABLE.....

16. Viejo

Viejo Tele-Holic

index.jpg They got their best man working on it.

Peregrino69 and Geo like this.
  17. Peregrino69

:D Well their heyday sort of was back in the 80s so I wouldn't expect their lines being overwhelmed... :p

18. Peregrino69

Yap, that's the guy who connects you to <department> :p

19. Special Tom

Special Tom Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I doubt that very much.

Taking calls isn't the only thing they do, the job includes data entry (calls are usually logged), responding to emails, creating reports... and you can be certain the govt shutdown hasn't caused a decrease of incoming calls. There's a good chance that a significantly larger-than-usual amount of the callers are also irate or downright abusive. It's a much more likely possibility that a significant number of this person's colleagues have reported in sick. Remember that while your benefit is being delayed, they aren't getting paid either. So while I do feel for you, I also feel for them. They also have bills to pay, food to buy, kids to school, commuting isn't exactly free...

I hope you have tax refunds due, IRS is apparently paying those off, shutdown or not.[/QUOTE]

I can have any picture I want <G>...Yes, I do know for the most part they are busy doing "service" work, follow-ups, etc. On the other hand in the private sector if our contract ends, is disputed, or is interrupted, there aren't any monies coming in at all until the contract is renegotiated or extended if it ever is. The difference here is that they will eventually get paid, whether they are forced to come work or not. The private sector most likely would not get paid for the furlough in similar situations.

For those refusing to work I have little to no sympathy. In the private sector we have to wait some times as much as 120 days to get paid with no guarantee. That won't happen to the govt. employees even though POTUS says he will put everything on hold until...Those Govt. employees should prepare for the shutdowns and not live paycheck to paycheck. The shutdowns happen infrequently but are easily predicted, so set aside the bad weather funds. Good news for them is that in addition to their regular PTO, many will get more vacation time as a result at the taxpayer expense. They just have to "tough" it out a bit.

For the tax refund, I appreciate you caring but truth is I haven't had a refund since 2003. I have owed every year, after having maximum amounts withheld from my paychecks, as little $4K and as much as $30K (due to alternate tax bracket). So some of the IRS employees are working to make sure they get the monies they need most refunds (my guess is) that they will be delayed anyway. The good news for me is all my bills are paid, IRS got their money, and I am retiring.
    If this post violates any of the rules I apologize and have no problem with it being deleted.

20. USian Pie

USian Pie Tele-Meister

Of course they blame it on call volume.

Do you really think they are going to say, "You are experiencing predictably poor service quality?"

Peregrino69 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.