1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Unusual Wiring Mod Help

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by nigenarceda, Mar 13, 2019.

1. nigenarceda

nigenarceda TDPRI Member

Hi guys! So I'm planning to modify my SX telecaster into something unusual for a tele. I intend to put dual rail PU for the bridge and pair it up with a P90 or PAF for the neck (haven't decided yet). I want to install a les paul style 3 way switch at the pickguard just at the bottom of the neck PU for it is easier for me to switch for my style of playing. And here's the catch. I still want to use the stock 3 way blade switch. I intend to use it as a parallel/split/series switch just like this esquire type wiring shown on the pic

[​IMG]

My question is would this be possible? Unfortunately for me, I'm a noob to electronics (I'm trying to learn though) and wanted to ask the assistance of wiring pros here. Basically what I need is a les paul style 3 way PU switch and the stock tele 3 way blade switch for the parallel/split/series for the bridge PU only. Thanks and good day! :)

ben smith likes this.
  2. ben smith

ben smith Tele-Afflicted

I was going to do something very similar to this, but i was going to make the tone pot another volume as i feel there is no need for a tone pot with a p90 or a hotrail, that was i can have my clean sound on the neck pickup with the volume down and switch to bridge for overdrive. of course it's possible, i can't help with the schemaic though sorry.

nigenarceda likes this.
  3. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

It should be doable. Draw out your circuit ahead of time.

I really like the P90 in the neck of my SX Tele. It's a GFS Vintage P90 that's been rehoused in a raw nickel-silver soapbar case. I also replaced the stock bridge with a heavy 3 barrel brass saddle one (not easy to do).

[​IMG]

nigenarceda likes this.
  4. nigenarceda

nigenarceda TDPRI Member

So I did a google search and found this awesome program by another user here at TDPRI named bancika and used his program to layout this. Basically I just copied the esquire wiring above and incorporated the PAF neck PU and the 3 way switch and wired it as what a 2 humbucker 1 vol 1 tone typically be. Based on the esquire wiring I would need to solder the green wire from the bridge PU and the wire output from the 3 way blade switch to the VOL pot. Instead I hooked it both on the PU switch which I assume would give the same result. Take it with a grain of salt though as I said I don't know much about these kind of things (but hey somebody has to start somewhere) but a confirmation would be truly appreciated. I'll be giving the result to my luthier as he will be doing it. Wiring 2019-3-13.png

5. ScottJPatrick

ScottJPatrick Friend of Leo's

Why not just wire the Dual Rails straight to the 3 way switch for series/paralle/split and take the output from that switch straight to the les paul type switch?

6. nigenarceda

nigenarceda TDPRI Member

Thanks for the reply. That's what I thought off but just had a little bit of confusion about the green wire from the dual rails as seen on this.

IMG_0249.JPG

And I wanted to make sure if it is really doable and won't produce unnecessary results. But yeah complicated things sometimes are solved with simple solutions. Hopefully everything would come out as planned :)

7. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

Connect the green wire to the 3 way switch as well as the white wire from the blade switch.
    The green is the hot from the pickup, when you're in parallel mode you will also get a signal from the white wire. In series mode or coil split there will be no signal on the white wire.

nigenarceda likes this.
  8. nigenarceda

nigenarceda TDPRI Member

Thank you very much for the input. In that case this would not be a pretty complicated mod after all. I'll post an update when all is done. Don't know how long though my parts are still on my cart waiting to get checked out. Thank you all again :)

warrent likes this.
  9. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

Here are a few alternatives to think about:

3-way on/on/on toggle switch (this is not a LP type) for the humbucker wired gives parallel/single/series
    3-way blade for pickup selector

4-way blade for the humbucker (neck-side/parallel/bridge-side/series) -- more useful if you have a humbucker with screw poles to make separate tones between the bobbins by lowering the pickup and raising the screw poles. I do this on an Esquire-H Tele.
    3-way LP toggle to use your neck pickup.

5-way blade switch wired as 3-single coils (2 separate from humbucker plus neck) for the usual Strat pattern.
    Concentric tone pot (stacked knobs) where one is tone and the other an Armstrong Blender. Then you can roll between SSS and HSH.

Brent Mason Blender circuit where the 3-way handles the neck and one side of the the bridge humbucker and the blender knob brings in the middle pickup. Nashville style Blender. Concentric/stacked tone knob or a three pot control plate.

10. ScottJPatrick

ScottJPatrick Friend of Leo's

Well, that certainly clears things up, no chance of the OP being confused now! :lol:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.