Unusual Tele wiring request

Drone46

TDPRI Member
I have a telecaster that I am hoping to wire with a standard 3 way blade switch so that the up position is just the neck pickup, the middle is the just the bridge pickup, and the bottom is a blend. Knobs are volume top, blend bottom. Is this possible? If so does anybody have a wiring diagram?

Planet teleX

NEW MEMBER!
If I understand correctly (you want to swap the bridge and middle positions?), then I think this should work:

Edit: I re-read and I think I did misunderstand. Did you mean a blend knob? If so I've attached an alternate idea you could try...

...which might work better if you omit the diagonal wire between the blend outputs, gah o_O

Attachments

• IMG_0275.JPG
    IMG_0275.JPG
    152.7 KB · Views: 21
  • TeleSwitchBlend.JPG
    TeleSwitchBlend.JPG
    119.4 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

mixmkr 2023

Tele-Meister
yes...I'd like this too...but unfortunately not understanding the final schematic with the "B" and the two "Blends".
I'm not a jazzer, so I don't need the tone....and I guess the blend could consists of 100% neck and blending in the bridge...or visa versa would work too. (100% bridge and blending in the neck)
I assume a "balance" or blend control would need a different pot than what is already in the guitar?

Great idea @Drone46. Putting the two separate pups on "1 and 2" on the blade would also eliminate the tight volume knob squeeze when going to the bridge pickup as well. Position 3 on the blade (closest to the volume knob) would be used the least.

Planet teleX

NEW MEMBER!
Sorry it wasn't clear (and I messed up the second one, damn autopilot). The "B" is just the Bridge pickup connection, "N" is for Neck and "V" for volume.

The "Blend" outputs can then go to separate lugs on a potentiometer. A dual MN taper with centre-detent would be my preference so either pickup can be on full.

pipthepilot

Tele-Meister
I have a telecaster that I am hoping to wire with a standard 3 way blade switch so that the up position is just the neck pickup, the middle is the just the bridge pickup, and the bottom is a blend. Knobs are volume top, blend bottom. Is this possible? If so does anybody have a wiring diagram?

Here you are, I created two schematics for you based on your requirements, one blends the Neck, the other blends the Bridge. Two things to note, neither schematic has any tone control and both assume the pots are connected to ground via the control plate.

Blend Schematic.png

I assume a "balance" or blend control would need a different pot than what is already in the guitar?
No, you won't need a different pot you can use the existing one, assuming you have a standard 250k audio taper pot?

Last edited:

hornsmoker

NEW MEMBER!
Another way to do this would be to eiminate the 3-way blade switch altogether and go with a MN Taper Blend / Balance Pot. This will blend two sources and give one output. With that, you'll need a blank control plate and will be able to get your tone control back.

Attachments

• s-l1600 (4).jpg
    s-l1600 (4).jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 6
  • s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 4