Unusual Skills

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Steerforth, Feb 21, 2020.

1. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

I am a true Renaissance man in the traditional sense. In depth knowledge and hands on skills of lots of things ... master of none.

Yup, an inventor who finds many alternative ways to reinvent the wheel.:rolleyes:

Yeah, rode a unicycle for many years and still have bad timing playing guitar.:oops:

2. MattyK-USA

MattyK-USA Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Great story. Kudos to your better half.

3. Steerforth

Steerforth Tele-Afflicted

I remember hitchhiking in Australia the first time that I was there. I was in the Perth-Fremantle area somewhere, and I stepped out next to a big highway and stuck my thumb out.

The very first car, a Holden, came to an almost screeching stop. I thought, “Wow! It sure is easy to hitchhike in Australia!”

The guy in the Holden said, “Get in, mate!” Once I was seated and we were on the road, he told me, “Normally I wouldn’t have stopped. But when I saw you standing there with your thumb out, I knew you were a Yank. If you’re going to hitchhike in Oz mate, stick your index finger out like this. What you were doing means, ‘Up your arse’, here. That’s why I figured that I’d better get you off the road quick.”

So I learned something useful almost immediately the first time that was in Australia, LOL!

cat dude, flathd, Deeve and 7 others like this.
  4. Tomm Williams

Tomm Williams Tele-Afflicted

I was trained as a Handwriting Analyst and worked in the field for a few years.

5. flathd

flathd Poster Extraordinaire

Cool, too bad it's not your right thumb.

What's "stay off the bird feeder" in the squirrel language?

Wouldn't that be the right thumb?

uriah1, Steerforth and Greggorios like this.
  6. Nubs

Nubs Friend of Leo's

Along these lines, I can bend my index finger all the way back to touch the top of my wrist. Well, at least I used to be able to in my younger days. I just tried it and I can get about 3/4 there.

MattyK-USA, Steerforth and Greggorios like this.
  7. esseff

esseff Tele-Holic

I can't recall any of my partners having any inclination to do anything interesting with their free time. One or two were dab hands on the sewing machine for domestic purposes but the others seemed quite content to watch television or read romantic novels. None of them wanted to play a musical instrument or repair broken things.
    Me - I've always got something on the go and I'm quite satisfied with my skill levels.

Steerforth likes this.
  8. John Nicholas

John Nicholas Friend of Leo's

While my better half does not possess what you might call "unusual" skills, well besides putting up with me ( a full time job! ;))

She is certainly a woman of many talents, She is a fabulous cook, which she does after a 60 mile commute from her marketing job, she makes jewelry, baskets, knits sweaters, sock, vests, etc, bakes awesome artisanal bread and makes sure our teenage daughter stays on the straight and narrow.

Me? I can do guys stuff, like fixing the cars, building guitars, playing them very badly, can rebuild two stroke motocross bikes to the smallest pieces (even restored a 1980 Yamaha YZ125G in the early 2000's)

And laughed my butt off when I read about Steerforth's hitchhiking experience in Oz!!

This is an awesome thread!!

9. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I can squeek out the American anthem using only lower bilabial frickatives, down side is it smells like hydrogen sulphide, for a very long time

MattyK-USA, Dan German and Greggorios like this.
  10. Buckaroo65

Buckaroo65 Tele-Meister

I can forget stuff. In fact, i forgot what i was going to put as my special skill while i was reading this.

matmosphere and Steerforth like this.
  11. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

I thought I had a unique skill Matty. Actually it never occurred to me to try more than once at a time, but I can do it with either hand.

Actually I have two talents, but the other one isn't as good.

Greggorios and MattyK-USA like this.
  12. MattyK-USA

MattyK-USA Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

LOL! Yeah, I can do it with both hands too. Man, this post sounds REALLY bad taken out of context :eek::lol:

Greggorios and RodeoTex like this.
  13. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

My wife can carry an 850lb. grudge for weeks—months if necessary.

I am an exceptionally-talented novice at almost everything I try. In any “Intro to Something” class, I’m one of the best there.

I think my ninja/superpower though is lateral thinking about other people’s problems.

14. kafka

kafka Tele-Afflicted

I can get any stain out of any carpet.

I have an unusually high tolerance for house painting, although I'm not sure that's a skill in itself.

I can tolerate a lot of crap before I get mad.

Sometimes I'm lonely even when other people are around.

I wish I had something better to do with my life, but I don't know what that would be.

What was the question?

Steerforth and Jupiter like this.
  15. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

So, you don't put up with guys like us? :D

dogmeat and Steerforth like this.
  16. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

The only skill I possess that I doubt any of you do, (at least that I'm aware of) is I was a neon glassblower for twenty years. There are a number of us in existence, and it's not like advanced rocket surgery, but it's still somewhat unique. I was originally attracted to learning it in relation to neon art, but quickly learned you don't make a living at that. But I DID learn that the PROCESS is the same whether you are making "art" or commercial signage.....and THAT'S where the personal satisfaction was, at least for me. Taking the raw materials, applying developed skills, and producing a tangible product that someone valued was an incredible source of pride. The industry has not completely gone away, but HAS been largely replaced (at least for now) by LED lighting. While I no longer practice the trade.....I'm still proud of what I did.

17. cometazzi

cometazzi Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I'm sure I've got something, but I can't think of anything because one of my faults is I'm bad at 'selling myself'. I'll probably come up with a big ole list after this thread dies.

Steerforth likes this.
  18. TheDams

TheDams Tele-Meister

In my previous life as a sailing instructor in France (where I am from), I could tie a bowline knot, one-handed, in less than 15 seconds.

19. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I really try to make sure you go home. Resized_Resized_20200220_120004(1)[1].jpeg

20. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I can play some really skanky sounding guitar. and eat cookies. that's about it.

nvilletele and Steerforth like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.