Unusual Skills

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Steerforth, Feb 21, 2020.

1. Steerforth

Steerforth Tele-Afflicted

Do you, or your significant other possess any unusual, unexpected skills?

Mrs. Steerforth, besides knowing all sorts of medical stuff, is a top-notch plumber. As far as I know, she’s the best plumber in the area. If it’s plumbing, she can fix it. It’s a bit incongruous to actually see her doing plumbing, because she looks nothing like what you’d expect a plumber to look like, but she can stand with the best of them. We have the best plumbing that you could ever want.

This came about because she got mad. She wanted the plumbing out in the barn a certain way for the horses, and the well for the barn fixed. She hired three or four different plumbers, and they couldn’t do it. So her Norman temper kicked in, she declared the situation ridiculous, and then she took a college course in plumbing, bought every plumbing book that’s considered worthwhile and studied every one, bought a first rate plumbing tool kit, and went to work. She fixed the well, the plumbing in the barn, all the plumbing in the house, put in new sinks, toilets, a big jet bathtub, a new shower, and now she’s talking that she thinks that we ought to have a pool. And she’ll probably do it.

The first time that she walked into the plumbing supply place that she likes, the guys behind the counter were quietly amused and treated her like she probably didn’t know much. That was several years back. These days, they treat her like an expert and even ask her about plumbing problems with which they or their customers are struggling. If you stand there and listen to her explaining heavy duty plumbing stuff to men, in her pleasant accent, you start to wonder if you’ve entered the Twilight Zone. But they hang on her every word as she speaks, and no one gets that funny little smile on their face anymore. She gets respect. She’s never worked as a plumber, but she knows her stuff!

Comparatively speaking, I’m boring. I can fly anything, fixed wing or rotary, and I can build boats, make sails, rig a boat, make guitars and tube amps to some degree, and start a horse under saddle. I’m also a very good marksman and a good archer. And I’ve caught fish with every single fly that I’ve ever tied.

But that’s all nothing compared to Mrs. Steerforth’s astounding plumbing feat. If she decides to do something, there’s no stopping her, LOL!

So, what are your or your significant other’s unexpected skills?

2. MattyK-USA

MattyK-USA Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

The wife is possibly the fastest PL-1 programmer on Earth - it's like watching Edward Scissorhands when she's at a mainframe ISPF terminal. RPI grad, Computer scientist. She cuts her own reeds to play Oboe. She also played NCAA hockey for RPI, and still holds some swimming records at her high school (we graduated in 1979).

As for me, I can take pictures of distant galaxies from my driveway. I can operate planetarium control software. I have taken ballet, jazz and modern dance, and know my tendu from my dégagé. I was accepted at the Coast Guard Academy primarily for my gymnast skills. I didn't go. I am currently 6'3" and weigh about 300 pounds.

My favorite skill is that I can flip 100 stacked (thin) coasters from the edge of a bar with one hand, and catch them with the same hand after a full rotation.

3. Chuckster

Chuckster Tele-Holic

My wife can fake a headache like no other.

4. Steerforth

So you know what I mean. That reminds me, Mrs. Steerforth still holds the school record for some track and field running event back in her country. She was quite a sprinter in her day. I’ve never been that fast over a short distance, but I can go on and on over long distance and not feel it the way other people seem to feel it.

Greggorios and MattyK-USA like this.
  5. KT89

KT89 Tele-Meister

I can bend my left thumb backwards past 90 degrees.

You didn't say useful skills, you said unusual

6. Big_Ger

Big_Ger TDPRI Member

I’ve fitted an Ikea kitchen, nuff said! I’m not doing another one though...

7. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Holic

I can fully rebuild a 2-stroke vespa engine without a manual.

rz350 and Steerforth like this.
  8. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire

For my sins, I actually understood that.

OldDude2, MattyK-USA and Steerforth like this.
  9. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Is your wife an Aquarius?
    Mine is and she is indeed skilled with water management!
    We have a hundred house plants (gardening is one of my unusual skills) and she waters them in winter.
    Plus she waters my guitars, my amps, the stereo, the floor, my boots, and anything else in gravitational range!

MattyK-USA and Steerforth like this.
  10. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

My wife the educator can make both a conference room full of fellow professionals and a room of students (K-12 , any grade) squirm and fall completely silent :eek: , simply by talking low and slow and making eye contact with everyone .

It’s hysterical .

Me ? She yells LOUDLY at me and walks outta the room. :lol:

I have zero skills, except for boring professional ones (I can read a floor - big woop :rolleyes:)

However, I look like a swollen 56 yr old man but can ride a skateboard better than most millennials o_O

Toto'sDad, imwjl, matmosphere and 7 others like this.
  11. dogmeat

dogmeat Tele-Afflicted

my special skill.... I put up with guys like you.

ha ha... couldn't help it, just kidding

EsquireBoy, Texicaster and Steerforth like this.
  12. Steerforth

Cancerian, also a water sign, I think, LOL!

telemnemonics likes this.
  13. TelenTubes

TelenTubes Tele-Meister

I set the school record for skinning a cat in high school biology. 5 minutes and I had the pants off that sucker, while my lab partner stood there turning green. She was the valedictorian eventually.

14. MattyK-USA

MattyK-USA Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

It's still a valuable skill, man! :)

Steerforth likes this.
  15. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

I can talk to squirrels.

16. Steerforth

No, that is a skill, LOL! There are a lot of people who know me in real life who would nod vigorously in agreement.

Animals tend to love me on sight. I’m practically Saint Francis of Assisi, without the saintliness. People like me, but it takes them a little while to get over their suspicion that I might have scaled the fence at the state hospital and be running loose without my medications.

But once they get over that idea, they like me a lot, though they do tend to start grinning strangely before I’ve even said anything when they see me. I’m not sure what that’s about.

17. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Me too. Don't discount the skill, it stands out when trying to hitch-hike.

18. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Squirrels and other wild critters talk to my wife, mostly when they're hungry.
    Wildlife often talks to me when sick or dying and I make them a pallet on my floor.
    Or in a box/ cage etc, where maybe 1/3 of the time they eventually get better and leave.

uriah1, Steerforth and Greggorios like this.
  19. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

My wife is a very good public school teacher. She'd get up at 4am, drive 90 miles to school and teach 5 classes of 35-40 kids each, do the after-school meetings, hit the gym, get home and cook me a gourmet meal and then ask "Whatcha wanna do now?". She maintained a 2nd teaching job to help with the bills that had her working Saturdays and most of the summer. The letters of appreciation from her students regularly bring tears to my eyes with the most consistent comments being that despite being tough she cared about her students more than any teacher they'd ever had. All of this right up till she retired this year at age, er...let's say more than a year or 2 past normal retirement age. I'll always be in awe.;)

20. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

As an actor, I was told it was required to list any special skills on your resume, because you never knew when that would be the thing that put you ahead of other candidates for a role. Thanks to this advice, I had to ride a unicycle across 50 ft of stage, wearing white face paint, flip-flops with large daisies, a frock coat, and two dozen rubber bands in my hair. I no longer discuss special skills.

rolandson, nojazzhere, kafka and 7 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.