Unusual pot issue

regularslinky

Tele-Afflicted
I just put a TV Jones Classic in one of my Teles, and wired it with 500k pots per TV Jones directions. The pickup sounds great but the volume knob is acting weird. As you roll the know back, the change in volume is almost imperceptible until it’s 90% off, then it goes to zero very quickly. I wired it the same way I wire other Teles. Did I miss something? Is the pot broken? Thanks in advance.

boxocrap

Tele-Afflicted
I just put a TV Jones Classic in one of my Teles, and wired it with 500k pots per TV Jones directions. The pickup sounds great but the volume knob is acting weird. As you roll the know back, the change in volume is almost imperceptible until it’s 90% off, then it goes to zero very quickly. I wired it the same way I wire other Teles. Did I miss something? Is the pot broken? Thanks in advance.
could be the value of the cap(s)?

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire

What taper did you order? It could be a functioning pot with an out-of-spec taper. Have any others to try?

SixStringSlinger

Poster Extraordinaire
I don't know if this will affect your particular issue, but most of my wiring issues have been resolved by double-checking all my grounding.

regularslinky

Tele-Afflicted
Yes, I'd agree with @Boreas , it sounds like you used a 500k linear taper pot rather than a 500k audio taper pot.

The sellers description says audio taper, though I’ll confess I have no idea what that means. Is there a way to tell by looking? Im such a chump with this stuff that I was thrilled I got sound from the guitar!

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
Yes, I'd agree with @Boreas , it sounds like you used a 500k linear taper pot rather than a 500k audio taper pot.

And not all tapers are as expected. They are made within "tolerances" just like any other variable. What you receive is not necessarily a typical taper for that type of taper. This has been often noted with pots sourced or installed overseas. IME, the majority of the pots are good quality, but audio and linear tapers may be much different from manufacturer to manufacturer - hence they have been erroneously broadly classified as "junk".

Last edited:

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
The sellers description says audio taper, though I’ll confess I have no idea what that means. Is there a way to tell by looking? Im such a chump with this stuff that I was thrilled I got sound from the guitar!

A look at the back of the pot will typically show an A (audio) or B (linear). But not all manufacturers use the same coding. And even then, there is no guarantee it is within tolerance. Bad pots are not unheard of...

For the price of a pot, I would try:

1. Re-installing the same pot making sure your wiring is correct.
  2. Replace with a new pot.

regularslinky

Tele-Afflicted
ok... asking the POT smart people also.

does not sound like a linear taper pot.

sounds like and audio taper pot wired backwards.

That sounds like something I would do. By “wired backwards” do you mean that the wires from the pickups are soldered to the wrong places? Or something else?

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
Forgetting to ground tab 1 is a common mistake.

I've done it!

How-to-Wire-a-Volume-Control.jpg

schmee

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I've had weird pots like that and never figured it out. Pots seem to interact with other parts creating some strange results. I've had them basically "off" until suddenly they come on at about 8 also. Also had them be fine 0-9 but go dead at 10 on the dial! Defect I suppose.

I just went through replacing pots in a guitar 3 times. Ordered some special pots etc. Surprisingly, I heard very little difference in audio or linear on the tone pot. Finally just decided to live with it. Both varieties of tone pots take a big jump to bass rotated down to about 4 on the dial. I removed the Treble Bleed thinking that was causing it... nope.
I don't know where it is.... but there is a good writing on line how the tone pot function changes based on the volume pot type and resistance and where it is rotated to. All of which means it's a moving target...

PCollen

Friend of Leo's

So you are saying that the volume pot is behaving backwards from those in your other guitars..it gets more quiet (or more loud, if increasing volume) in the first 10% of its clockwise rotation (call it 1>2), and then there is very little change in the remaining 90% (2>10) of its rotation ? To me it seems that the volume pot is wired backwards, or it may be a reverse (anti)-log pot as used in left-handed guitars.

Are you a left handed guitarist ?

Did you buy your pots from TV Jones ? If so, which ones did you buy out of this selection....

https://tvjones.com/pots/

The CTS Left Hand 500K Audio Taper Pot , if installed in a right handed guitar, would act like a standard (right handed) reverse-log pot and give you indications similar to what you are describing. Conversely, a right-handed audio taper pot installed in a left-handed guitar will do the same.

Last edited:

EugeneWeemich

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter

Checking... single coil pickups? Generally 250k pots preferred.

The "it goes off" comment sounds like a no-load pot thing.

Confirm your wiring is per spec in above post.