Unusual Epiphone SG. What is it... a fake Epiphone?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Strato50, Aug 18, 2019.

1. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Afflicted

A friend has this for sale. I looked all over the net and can’t find this model. It’s all black with zebra humbuckers. Coil splitting. The batwing pickguard and black hardware. Any info would be helpful. It has the Custom style inlay but only two pickups.

Attached Files:

2. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Afflicted

She sent this pic. No serial number and “Golden” instead of Grover’s? Hmm. They fake Epis to?

Attached Files:

3. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

That inlay is certainly over the top large and Golden tuners...

If they can sell factory direct they cut out the distributor and retailer pricing tiers.

4. Donny Osmond fan

Donny Osmond fan Tele-Holic

No they do not. But the Epiphone people say they do because they are so great. Do you want a Epiphone LP Or Gibson LP. Then think about what they would fake? Samick made Epiphone and others factories made Epiphone's. None was consistent in the same specs and made some rare models. Or had smaller headstocks etcc..

1 persone showed a Epipohone with a think neck plate like a Shecter that had some info on it. Someone said is a Bolt on LP Epiphone a thing? Ignorance is a real thing among Epiphone players. Why? Because of what I just said. Each factory that made Epiphone over the years did their own little touches. Smaller headstocks. Multiply binding etc.. But if they see a rare model or some unique designe feature they all say Fake!!!!

Piggy Stu likes this.
  5. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Afflicted

Only “Golden” brand tuners I could find are sold on Alibi Chinese websites.

jimash likes this.
  6. L.A. Mike

L.A. Mike Tele-Holic

deleted by poster

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
    Dismalhead likes this.
  7. stax

stax Tele-Afflicted

They most definitely do fake Epiphones, normally customs, Slash or Zakk Wylde Les Paul's as I found out to my cost, my one shared the same serial as a dozen others I sold it to a guy who didn't believe it wad fake even though I advertised it as such.
    Have a search on the Epi forum where there is a mega page thread on fakes and how to spot them.

bender66 likes this.
  8. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

Good points, but it does matter...when it matters to the person who buys it/owns it. It's a subjective thing, obviously. What doesn't matter to you or me could matter a helluva lot to someone else. Nothing wrong with that. We all have different criteria for what makes us enjoy an instrument. I think it not being fake is a pretty reasonable one to have.

9. Matthias

Matthias Tele-Afflicted

MrGibbly and tintag27 like this.
  10. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

From the pics I'm guessing it's a parts guitar. You can buy the LP Custom inlay sticker for about $15 on EBay. and it's got hinky tuners. Maybe it was cobbled together or the previous owner replaced the tuners 'cause the originals were junk (they may have been). Can you have her send more pics?

Like someone above said though, it's a only modern Epiphone. I picked up a LP Special II Epi in trade for a crappy amp a few back and the stock hardware, pickups, and electronics were literally all junk anyways. Tuners were literally plastic. Only good parts were the body and neck. If it plays well, I say use it.

11. L.A. Mike

L.A. Mike Tele-Holic

Since he didn't indicate what his intentions are, then it was a mistake for me to comment in the first place.
    My mistake.

Dismalhead likes this.
  12. Donny Osmond fan

Well I will never believe that. But I have seen pictures of supposely fake Epiphone's. Most are Samick specs and different size head stocks and other things that they did. But other factories did not do.

13. Donny Osmond fan

Next they will be faking Fire Fly, Harley Bentons, Rouge etc.. :twisted::lol:

14. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Epiphones have gone up in price and that makes it more likely to be faked now by overseas guitar makers.

15. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Afflicted

I might go take a look. No serial number means selling it would be hard in the future. I didn’t mean to ruffle any feathers for sure. I just thought it was a little suspicious. She said the inlay on the headstock was in the wood not a sticker..so it could be one of Epiphones Custom type models that ran a short time. I just wanted a beater type SG for some outdoor gigs. I have a set of Gibson pickups I could put in it. Who knows. Lol

16. L.A. Mike

L.A. Mike Tele-Holic

I have a humbucker pickup I took out of a strange looking "Epiphone" SG style guitar. The body is squared off on the edges, no taper or bevels, and it's 1 5/8" thick. It has a bolt on neck with a open book headstock that is shaped like a tombstone.
    The pickup has Epiphune (not Epiphone) etched on the back. The pots are labeled Alfa (not Alpha). The body wood looks like Agathis.
    Gibson and Epiphone stated to me, after I sent them pictures, that it is a fake clone made in China. That it was not produced by them or their builders (like Samick). In fact, they wanted me to send it to them.
    I tune it to open E and play slide on it and it sounds good, so I don't care.
    But the point is, China will copy anything they think they can make a buck on.

17. Donny Osmond fan

I did not see or know you ruffled any. I personal think they will never fake a cheap guitar. Why? You want the expensive models. Not a fake of a 200 dollar guitar. Am I missing something?

18. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Afflicted

I think it’s been proven they do fake epiphones. I just looked at some Alibi. There are a lot of them.

bender66 likes this.
  19. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

if you like it and paid a fair price, does it really matter?

20. tweedman2001

tweedman2001 Tele-Afflicted

Was North of There, Now Way Way South of There

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.