UNSUNG HEROES OF THE GUITAR. THE SIDE MAN/WOMAN.

Fiesta Red

Doctor of Teleocity
I never knew Stephen well but got to watch him play a bunch. My favorite memory was at Upstairs at the White Elephant where he sat in with Geoff Muldaur on acoustic. Stephen had some serious bluegrass/acoustic chops too.

Here he is with Don Was.

Something else Red-their Mom helped me a lot. She was all over music and had an amazing memory. She knew all the players on all the jazz/jump blues stuff from the 40's-50's and made lots of helpful suggestions on who to check out. I miss her!

Yes, Mrs. Bruton was a hoot! If I was researching somebody from that era, she was definitely one of my sources…

The knowledge that family had was invaluable…so sad they’re all gone.

VintageSG

Poster Extraordinaire
Calling Norman a 'side-man' is to do him a gross disservice. They may have been known as 'The Wilko Johnson Band', but Norman had as many fans in the audience as Wilko did. Dylan's no slouch either.
In the soggy corner, Norman Watt-Roy.

Soggy because by the end of every gig, he's literally dripping. Slightly gross.

Ed Storer

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
I scrollled through this whole thread and didn't see Paul Barrere mentioned. Unbelievable. Best known as the most durable member of Little Feat.

He also wrote Down on the Farm, Skin It Back, Feats Don't Fail Me Now, All that You Dream, and certainly more that Wiki doesn't mention.

Flyboy

Tele-Afflicted
Mick Ronson.

5279996c-90c0-49c0-b65f-9c151b6d8481.jpg
5279996c-90c0-49c0-b65f-9c151b6d8481.jpg