1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

UnSpoiling the Spoilboard Afternoon

Discussion in 'The DIY Tool Shed' started by Jim_in_PA, Sep 22, 2020.

1. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

It was high time to "go nuclear" on my spoilboard as it was down to about a quarter inch and there have been some Z-height anomalies recently that I attribute to the same, including the factory table under it likely moving a little after over two years from moisture, etc. Since I'm not really able to do any kind of fine work yet while I recover from recent eye surgery, I took advantage of this "low tech, low detail" opportunity to run my machine. :)

Of course, taking bigger bites than normal surfacing to get rid of the old and make everything level again produced an overwhelming amount of nasty dust that didn't make it into the DC...darn, and I just cleaned the shop the day before my eyeball got dealt with. I guess I'm going to be cleaning it again sometime this week so I can get back to working on more interesting things next week.

IMG_8248.jpg

There in fact was a bit of a dip in the middle. It's gone now...and time to glue on a new spoilboard as soon as I can dig the sheet of material out of the rack. It should be no surprise that it's behind a bunch of other material. Go figure.

nickhofen, jkingma, RogerC and 3 others like this.
  2. old wrench

old wrench Tele-Afflicted

Dang, Jim!

That is a nice big machine :)!

Looks like you could fit a guitar cross-wise in it.

Mr. Neutron likes this.
  3. Jim_in_PA

George, the effective cutting area of that Camaster Stinger II SR-44 is 49" x 50". So yea, it can handle a guitar in either direction including neck-through if I ever get brave enough to try that. In hindsight, I wish I would have gone 4x8, but I was truly concerned with shop space and opted for the 4x4. For projects using sheet goods, I have to design for "half-sheets", but fortunately, I don't do much of that kind of work.

old wrench likes this.
  4. LeftFinger

LeftFinger Friend of Leo's

How long did it take for the actual surfacing?

5. Jim_in_PA

A single, normal cleaning pass (.01") normally only takes about 10-12 minutes with my 1.25" insert tooling that I use for the purpose. I can run that at about 300+ ipm so it zips right along. I was not in a hurry for this refurbishment job and had to take a lot of stock off followed by sneaking up on the final to avoid damaging the aluminum tee tracks I have embedded in the machine top. So I think I spent about two hours on the task total, again so I could take care in the end. There was a tiny dip mid-machine and I also wanted all old glue off so I could do a better job putting the new spoilboard on this time than the first time. The new board glued on beautifully today, so after a quick dressing pass in the morning, I'm now ready for some things I need to cut next week after I do my quarterly cleaning and greasing.

LeftFinger likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.