Unlucky ,or is fender amp quality rubbish

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by PeterVV, Aug 16, 2015.

1. PeterVV

PeterVV Tele-Afflicted

I recently ordered a drri from an Internet firm. First one had a noisy effects channel and non working reverb when it arrived. I fixed the reverb as it was a loose connection on the tank, but after going through the valves from v2 on the effects channel was still noisy so it got picked up and a replacement delivered.
    Second one just stopped working after half way through a gig. Powered up the end tube next to the power tubes but all others and the power light were not getting any current.
    Now I am sending this one back.
    Am I unlucky or is there a serious quality problem here?

2. 10thoufirst

10thoufirst Tele-Holic

Well, You're not alone. I bought a Hot Rod Deluxe MkIII and had trouble with V1& V2 ( over a few weeks), the covering started to peel off and the casing started to rattle. That was exchanged, but it was not long before trouble arose in the preamp valves and finall an output valve went microphonic. This amp was exchanged for a Blues Deluxe Reissue which also had trouble with its output valves. Not only that, the handle broke as I walked through the shop door to get the valves fixed. I came out with another Blues Deluxe Reissue ( boxed) and that one has just been returned as the FX loop causes buzzing when used.
    Normally I would have stopped using this brand of amp months ago, but it's just that, when they're working, Fender amps do just what I want.

3. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

I said it before & I'll say it again: I'd rather pay a premium over a DRRI. & get a quality amp, built with love by artisans , in the US or anywhere for that matter.

Builders who obsess over every last part of their amp, & who you can talk to on a direct contact basis.

FMIC basic amps are deteriorating in quality. It would be miraculous to have any quality left in the amp after the 5 years period. It is almost as these amps are built for a limited period of time.

4. sbpark

sbpark Friend of Leo's

I'm not a snob, and think the Reissues sound darn good, but given what they cost, I'd rather spend maybe a couple hundred more for a Silverface Deluxe and then have a reputable tech go through it and bring it up to speed. Then you have peace of mind knowing it will last a couple more decades before it needs anything. Just within the last week I've seen three Silverface Delixes from the mid to late 70's ranging from $950 to $1200, all working.

5. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

Silverface is a good route to go.

The best is to buy a product who can give you a lifetime of glorious sound & reliability.

Support the small builders. Soon they will be gone

6. tonejam

tonejam Tele-Holic

Unfortunately it seems that if you want the same quality you used to get in the older Fender amps (and still want a Fender), you now have to pay for a Custom Shop amp

7. kavalero

kavalero Tele-Meister

Fender recent built quality is appalling thus should be avoided at all cost, period.

8. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

You are unlucky in my experience.

9. macaroonie

macaroonie Friend of Leo's

It seems to be the way of the world these days Products from you know where just don't have the QC needed to have a worthwhile lifespan.
    You would think that a company with the resources and ' name ' that Fender does would implement the appropriate measures to catch these problems.
    Ir seems that as long as it looks as if it's the real thing then that's OK.
    From what I know of China manufacturing Fender are creaming it on these products ( ex works price v retail ) so there is no excuse for shoddy QC , just plain greed.

I bought a cheap keyless chuck for a drill recently. It was $15 roughly. It will not hold on to s 6mm drill bit without a wrestling match to tighten it up and then it will loosen off after a couple of holes.
    Useless and made in you know where. I SHOULD have known better.

10. tarheelbob

tarheelbob Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Sorry for your issues, but that has not been my experience with new Fender amps. I have bought a Blues Jr. and a Princeton Custom '68 in the past three years and both were well made with no QA problems. Liked my Blues Jr., LOVE the Princeton.

One big difference is that I had the chance to play both of mine thoroughly in the shop before purchasing them. Took the guesswork of potential internet shipping issues out of the equation.

I would recommend new Fender amps to anyone. Hope you get the support you need and resolution to your problems. Good luck.

- Bob

11. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

^^ Same here. In the last 5 years I've bought and still own a TRRI, Blues Jr, SCXD and Frontman 25R with no issues at all.

12. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

Curious as to why you are blaming Fender for a boutique builders problems. The DRRI has never had an effects channel unless you are talking about the vibrato channel. Please clarify.

13. BluesOwl

BluesOwl Tele-Holic

C'mon....lighten up....get a life dude.....quit being an annoyance...you know what the OP is getting at. You're what the ignore button is for.

14. RubyRae

RubyRae Friend of Leo's

There is definitely a quality issue, but your scenario is extremely unLucky.
    On the other hand, Beachbum is extremely Lucky to have so many amps with zero problems. I bought a new Fender VCXD amp about 5 years ago and it died within 6 months. I prefer old Fender amps anyway, but I would be hard pressed to buy any new Fender.

15. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

You need more vegetables in your diet.

16. Telepi

Telepi Friend of Leo's

I bought a "blem" Supersonic 22 from Zzounds a few months ago. Right after the 45 day return period it stopped working. Looking back, there were intermittent issues and if I had paid closer attention, I would have returned it. Probably like the person who bought it before me did.

However, it was now mine. Fortunately, it has a 5 year warranty. I called Fender and they helped me find a "Gold" authorized repair place in town. All that was wrong with it was a loose solder connection on the output speaker connection. They also cleaned the reverb connections at had some oxidation. Everything works great now.

It like everything else, there will be some items with "bugs" that need to be fixed. I saved a boat load of money on this one as a blem. Except for the tubes, it's warranted for another 4 1/2 years.

My thought is to buy a blem. Save some money. Factor into the savings, you might need a warranty repair. Once it's fixed, if that happens, you'll have a nice reliable amp.

17. bparnell57

bparnell57 Poster Extraordinaire

Got my floor model Excelsior Pro for $200 out the door. Best buy ever, and it never had a single issue. Knock on wood.

Only fender amp to come with a 1 year warranty, but its all good.

18. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

I owned a DRRI and an SRRI and they were reliable (or never caused me a problem) but I sold them because they did not sound as good as my silverface and blackface amps.
    I don't see production line circuit board amps lasting 40 to 60 years like their predecessors. There are better quality boutique PCB amps that might last longer.

For the OP, if you want a new production amp look at the Tone King Imperial.

19. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Part of the problem is that consumers have been brainwashed into thinking that "Saving money equals living better" (thank you, Wal-Mart). So the market puts price over quality, and the manufacturers oblige us by cutting corners and utilizing offshore production to meet the demands. As a result, people have gotten so used to lower-cost products that when something comes along that is built to last, the price seems extraordinarily high.

troy2003 likes this.
  20. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

A little bit of both.

Not to 'bash' but A LOT of name brand amps have gone to crap, IMO. They're produced cheaply, with poorly laid out, cheap PCB's with cheap component and priced way too high, for what they are...

Too much corner cutting, which is why, I'll often just pay and extra $300-500 to get a hand wired amp, with quality components and transformers. They tend to be more reliable and easier to work on, and can potentially sound a lot better.

It's not just Fender. You see this with a lot of the big name manufactures, just some are suffering more than others in their reliability. Honestly, I'm a little surprised that people pay how much they do for the PCB amps that were wired by robots. They must be making HUGE profits compared to the 'good ol days' when all amps were hand wired by a sweaty guy working in an American/British workshop. That takes hours, with soldering smoke going into your face eyes and lungs. Now we have a robot soldering cheap(er) components to a cheap PCB and pricing doesn't seem any more economical for the consumer, in many cases.

+10

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.