Univibe suggestions?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Rufus, Jun 3, 2020.

1. Rufus

Rufus Tele-Afflicted

Anyone have a recommendation for a decent sounding, Hendrix style Univibe? or Univibe/Fuzz?

I plan to be using with a Marshall Vintage Modern 2266 head and 4x12. (It has a Master Volume and I also have an attenuator.)

The King Tone 1968 sounds pretty damn good...but $500 for a pedal I will only use occasionally is difficult to justify.

I guess I would say reasonably priced is $200 or below.

The MXR sounds decent. Lots of companies seem to make them.

Are you...Experienced? (pun intended)

2. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

Wow, I just did a thread on this over at the Burnt Fingers pedal builders forum. Guess its your turn down the rabbit hole.

But for the money you are willing to spend, I'd say JHS Unicorn. Real univibe circuits are tricky to shop for and expensive. In my research, JHS and Voo Doo Labs seemed to be rated best for that money. And the Unicorn seemed to be more adaptable (its got a tap tempo, which is a novel approach).

Although I didn't ask; do you mean real photo cell Univibe or faux digital Univibe?

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
    Jlwctn, Fretting out and Rufus like this.
  3. Rufus

Rufus Tele-Afflicted

I'm guessing that the REAL stuff would be cost prohibitive...so I'm really looking for something that sounds close, probably digital by default, not preference...@$250 or below.

4. JuneauMike

You can do the real thing for that. JHS is the best bargain, and it gets great reviews. Deja Vibe Mini can be bought new for $220, I think. There's a few out there. I bought an EQD Depths for about $150. It's Earthquaker Devices, so not exactly vintage sounding but its LFO tech.

All that I've read, digital can get close but not quite there. A guy recommended a Wilson Effects Haze, that looks interesting. Digitech Ventura Vibe looks pretty cool too. It does rotary speaker too and has stereo out.

Rufus likes this.
  5. JuneauMike

6. Switchy

Switchy Tele-Afflicted

Digitech Ventura Vibe. You'll never own a cooler pedal. Period.

7. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Out of all the digitals this is the one to beat. There are three modes:
    1. Vintage for the hendrix thing.
    2. Modern mode which is designed for stereo. I haven’t really warmed up to this mode. Does a great stereo chorus but I have one of those.
    3. Rotary mode to emulate a Leslie. Killer stereo image! Yuge! The one I use the most.
    If you are dead set on the Hendrix only thing maybe a good analog photo cell unit, but the Ventura Vibe hella versatile. It does a larger variety of sounds than this demo would lead you to believe.

edit: I got mine for $60 bucks used.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
  8. tedtan

tedtan Tele-Meister

The Roger Mayer Voodoo Vibe+ is my favorite, and you might luck into a used one in your price range (I think I paid $250 for mine used).

9. Vanzant

Vanzant Tele-Afflicted

I have the Deja Vibe, and it works perfectly for the Hendrix Univibe sound...

BGLeduc likes this.
  10. BGLeduc

BGLeduc TDPRI Member

I bought mine for Trower, and it nails it. Now if only I could nail the playing of Trower. :)

BTW, Fulltone has a discount program that I think is still active....use STIMULUS as a discount code, and you get about 15% off.

Rufus and JuneauMike like this.
  11. KW1977

KW1977 Tele-Meister

Rufus likes this.
  12. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Tele-Afflicted

I seconds these. I have the VV and it works great for what I need: occasional univibe sound. Can get that KWS "Blue on Black" sound easily (Dunlop Uni-vibe, UV-1) , and Trower (Deja-vibe) as well. Haven't really used it for Hendrix stuff.

I think its the digital vibe pedal to beat, and they can be had on the cheap.

4pickupguy and Switchy like this.
  13. Fretting out

Fretting out Friend of Leo's

Wasn’t this discussed again after your thread (or before) I feel like I’ve seen this question twice before in the last couple weeks

Now we just need a picture of the unmentionable bad penny telecaster

As far as univibes I’m happy with my mxr but I think I’m an outlier, it does the swirly phasey thing good enough for me

JuneauMike and tubegeek like this.
  14. monkeybanana

monkeybanana Tele-Meister

Deja vu I mean Deja Vibe

superjam144 likes this.
  15. JuneauMike

Something that kinda cranked me while I was searching was the sloppy use of the term "Univibe," and unfortunately you are just gonna have to navigate that like all the rest of us. Here's an example:
    https://reverb.com/p/dunlop-uni-vibe-stereo-chorus

The teenage me would have snatched this right up thinking I was buying a Univibe pedal.

So I think your first task is to decide for yourself what meets the definition of a "univibe" pedal. Then try to find out what circuit you are buying.

Lots of guys think the digital stuff is plenty good enough. If you do too, then $250 will get you a very nice pedal and you'll have money left over. If you decide, like I did, that a univibe has to have an analog photo cell-dependent circuit to fire the chewey univibe thang, then your options narrow, but you still can afford some really excellent examples at that price.

Good luck.

Rufus and KW1977 like this.
  16. JuneauMike

(Now I'm quoting myself, geez, what a blowhard!) Electro-Harmonix also has a cool looking photo cell Univibe pedal, the Good Vibes. Takes up a little real estate but it looks like a pretty cool deal if you can get it used. I think it retails for something slightly north of $250 new.

17. MojoTrwall

MojoTrwall Tele-Meister

JHS Unicorn, Lovepedal Vibronaut (I usually don't recommend buying Lovepedal but this one is an intersting design), Fulltone Déjà-vibe, Dunlop Rotovibe.

They're all LDR based, and you can build the lovepedal and the eqd via pedalpcb circuit.

18. MojoTrwall

MojoTrwall Tele-Meister

I've got a whitestone phaser by the way, and it's doing a pretty good job with the vibrato mode.

It's an OTA based phaser, I'll try to it record it and compare to my eqd build so you can get an idea of the two.

19. scooteraz

scooteraz Friend of Leo's

Mini Deja Vibe 2 is $220 from Fulltone (Custom Shop) right now. The Mini Deja Vibe 3 (as an expression pedal) is like ~$240 right now. Both are really nice representations.

JHS Unicorn is a good sounding product, and has tap tempo. ~$200 on Reverb right now.

I’ve owned and used all three. All very nice.

20. JuneauMike

Those are hard to find stateside and there is an important caution. There is two versions of this discontinued pedal with the same name. One is analog photo cell (the green one) and the other is digital (the black one).

I would have loved to have bought the green one when I was looking, but they were unobtanium at the time.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.