1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Unique Wiring Diagram?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Luke1026, Jan 26, 2021.

1. Deaf Eddie

Deaf Eddie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

"Given a superswitch, and provided it can fit in the cavity, you can definitely do as you want. With two tones, id wire each one directly between the two main leads coming from their respective pickups, each with their own cap."

You can't do that, because the "hot" lead from the neck pickup gets swapped with its ground lead in the out of phase tones. That's been discussed. My solution was the only way to run two tones in that scheme.

"Because you are having a series option, this will give you really interesting tones as you fade down the treble off one pickup, letting treble from the other come through"

Nope, that's not the case. I have MANY guitars with the series option, and it's been my experience that the tone control on the "base" pickup - the one that stays grounded - has literally NO EFFECT on the tone of the combo. The tone control on the "secondary" pickup - the one whose negative lead was lifted to run in series - has the effect you would expect for a "master" tone. So, only one of the tone pots has any effect on the tone of the series combo.

2. Deaf Eddie

How's your soldering on the volume pot case?

3. johnDH

johnDH Tele-Meister

With great respect, no you are not correct here. i have myself built these arrangements into several guitars, with phase, as have others that who have built my designs, so they are definitely ok because they work just fine. If i didn't know that for sure i wouldn't have posted it.

The tone controls with pot and cap are hard wired across each pickup, before any switching. Out of that arrangement of pickup, cap and pot, two wires come out to go to switching, just as if they are two wires from a pickup. The watch-it is that in at least one pickup, the coil wires must not be grounded (unless through the switching) or to the cover. Then with two such wire pairs from two such tone/pu combos, the 4 poles of a superswitch will allow any series/parallel/phase option to be configured.

4. Deaf Eddie

"The tone controls with pot and cap are hard wired across each pickup, before any switching. Out of that arrangement of pickup, cap and pot, two wires come out to go to switching, just as if they are two wires from a pickup. "

Cool! Can you post a drawing of that arrangement, including a phase switch? I'm WAY old school, where the volume and tone came after the phase reverse.

As for the series/two tones conundrum, my experience has all been with humbuckers, and may not match yours... plus I'm old, and my ears are almost gone!

Last edited: Feb 1, 2021
  5. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I naturally think of the neck as #1. Left to right reading... I play mostly neck, not as much bridge, etc etc.

But when I talk wiring, I always refer to the rear-most position as #1, because that's how Fender does it, and it's good to have a common language so we can communicate, especially when talking online.

Deaf Eddie likes this.
  6. johnDH

johnDH Tele-Meister

ok great!

I've got a few schemes that have the key ideas, though not specifically for an SS Tele as on this thread.

This one is the closest. Its an HH with a superswitch and the same options as wanted here , including phase and the floating tone wiring . But I also use the tone pots to do coil cuts. Someone built it and liked it.

https://guitarnuts2.proboards.com/thread/5504/strat-hh-sounds-extra-controls

This one is my Jimmy Page version, again with phase and tones that follow each puckup. Here phase is before tone, and all that is before series/parallel.

https://guitarnuts2.proboards.com/thread/3159/jhs-jimmy-page

This is my own LP, it does as much as a JP mod but no added switches.

https://guitarnuts2.proboards.com/thread/4571/humbuckers-lp-modular-wiring-design

That should be enough to show what I'm on about. The first one above could be stripped back to SS and it would do exactly what is wanted on this thread. But probably better to draw again, and I'll do that if the OP would like. I think only 3 poles will be needed.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2021
  7. Deaf Eddie

Thanks for the links. In every case, the phase is reversed BEFORE the tone pot...
    But, I particularly like that first link, I haven't seen it done that way before.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2021
  8. johnDH

johnDH Tele-Meister

Thanks Eddie. Actually the third link above has phase after tone.

But for this thread, the following would be my suggestion:

SS-5way210203.png

Its using 3 out of 4 poles so there's one spare for any other tweaks that may be wanted. Id be tempted to use it to cut out one tone pot in parallel combo mode.

The order of selections is as the first post, but could of course be rearranged.

1. Neck
    2. Neck and Bridge
    3. Bridge
    4. Neck and Bridge series
    5. Neck and Bridge series/out of phase

moosie likes this.
  9. Deaf Eddie

Yeowsers. I'm out.

10. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

For those not comfortable with schematics, here's a translation of John's wiring, how it would look inside the Tele cavity.

In the interest of consistency (with my past statements and diagrams), I have followed the Fender numbering order, with the rearmost position as #1.

I also added the 'S1', 'S2', and 'S3' designations from John's, to help you make the connection.

Screen Shot 2021-02-03 at 02.53.51 AM.png

johnDH likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.