Unidentified Telecaster

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Laney80, Apr 5, 2019.

1. Laney80

Laney80 TDPRI Member

Hi All
    I have a Fender Telecaster that I purchased second hand around 1995. Recently advertised it for sale and got inundated with offers and questions. I have since done some research in an attempt to identify the guitar. Took the neck off and the number in the pocket is TLC-62 B, there are no numbers on the bridge plate and the only markings on the neck are "fender telecaster" on the head stock and "made in japan" on the back of the neck down near the heel. There are no serial numbers where they should normally be and there is no date etc on the bottom of the neck. It is a very good quality neck and is super straight so I don't think it's a copy. Am hoping someone on this forum can maybe shed some light on why the neck has no serials or dates. Have attached some photos, thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. netgear69

netgear69 Tele-Afflicted

From the patina and the large font FENDER on the neck plate Made In Japan decal at the heel = mid 80's
    The original bridge is missing that is where you would of found the serial number

BobbyMac and nojazzhere like this.
  3. Laney80

Laney80 TDPRI Member

Thanks for that, any idea why the neck doesn't have a date?

4. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mid 80s MIJ Fender had the serial nr. on the bridge plate ,yours is missing (together with the original pickguard).
    I have never seen a date on a MIJ neck.

5. Laney80

Laney80 TDPRI Member

Thanks Nick, just trying to get an idea of what it's worth. What indicates that the original pickguard was replaced?

6. whoanelly15

whoanelly15 Tele-Holic

Between the neck and what we can see of the double-bound body, a Made in Japan TLC-62 reissue looks to be exactly what you have, minus the bridge plate.

I’m sure others who know these better than me can chime in - ever seen a tort guard come stock on these?

Cool guitar anyway. Have you had the pickguard off? Can we take a look at the electronics?

7. whoanelly15

whoanelly15 Tele-Holic

Also, here’s a link to a recent (though ended) Reverb listing, though it appears to have original bridge and to have spent more time in he case than your’s.

tonyj likes this.
  8. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

I was going to say that looks like a replacement bridge to me - kind of like G&L's ASAT Classic saddles.

9. Chris H.

Chris H. Tele-Afflicted

Quite alot of MIJ Teles from this era have the date written in pencil on the heel of the neck.

BobbyMac likes this.
  10. Laney80

Laney80 TDPRI Member

11. Laney80

Laney80 TDPRI Member

Here are some pics of the control pots etc. The pickup selector switch has Made in USA and Patent No 2503685 stamped on it, doesn't show up well in the photo. Have had the pick guard off but can't find any markings or such.

Attached Files:

12. MatthewK

MatthewK Tele-Holic

Yeah that's a CRL switch, it's been replaced (the originals on these are DM-30 or something like that). What you have is a MIJ Custom Tele (i.e. body binding) from about 1987 - that's the year they mostly used those FENDER neckplates. About 1 in 3 will have a pencil date on the neck heel. The serial would have been on the original 3-barrel steel bridge, but that has been swapped out too. Pickups may have been switched, but hard to say - different price points came with Japanese or US pickups.

13. Laney80

Laney80 TDPRI Member

14. Laney80

Laney80 TDPRI Member

I am looking to sell it as I don't play anymore. I advertised it for sale online and had a heap of people interested but couldn't tell them much about the guitar but thanks to the replies on this forum I can give some detail on the guitar. Would anyone have an idea of what it might be worth?

15. bravescoob

bravescoob Tele-Meister

MIJ are lovely beasts. I sympathize with the identification troubles. My allegedly MIK Tele (see profile pic) is incredibly hard to pin down history for...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.