Unicorn Bullet? E6 MIK

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by SJ05205, Jan 20, 2020.

1. SJ05205

SJ05205 NEW MEMBER!

So, I just took just took this guitar out of the closet last month, and was thinking about changing the pickups. While researching around for what other people are using, I came across this topic about MIJ and MIK Bullets.

Let me start by saying this is not a second hand guitar or picked up on Craigslist or in a pawn shop. I am the only owner, and it was my guitar in High School. I got it somewhere between 1986 and 1988. I played it for a year or so, then switched to acoustic and this guitar sat in a closet until about the early 2000’s when I took it out and changed the strings and played it again for a little while. Then it sat in the closet again until this month, January, 2020, when I took it out and changed the strings again.

It is 100% stock and exactly the way I got it. It’s only had three sets of strings. There is no mysterious history to it. Its never been taken apart. It’s been in my possession for over 30 years.

So anyway, after researching the MIJ / MIK thing, I’m stumped. Everything I came across with this guitar, from the neck, bridge, saddle, tuners, frets, the truss rod the design of the “Squier” logo and the E6 serial number say MIJ.... but there it is — a “Made In Korea” sticker right on the head. Now, I assure you, no mysterious person ever snuck into my house, went to the closet and put an exact style “Made In Korea” sticker on it and got away.

So, what gives?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
  2. Michael A.

Michael A. Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I have 2 of the exact same guitar, which is officially the Squier Bullet Contemporary HST. It is listed as MIJ in the Squier Wiki and most other places, but I've read some owners stating they were actually assembled in Korea with parts, at least some, originally manufactured in Japan. Your sticker may confirm that, but it may also still be true that is is essentially a MIJ guitar. Most seem to agree that the heel-adjust necks were MIJ, the Gotoh minis are clearly MIJ, and the bridge and saddles match earlier MIJ models. Where the body was constructed is an unknown.

There is a later version of this guitar with a more Strat-like body that is acknowledged to be made in Korea starting in 1987 (E7).

"MIJ" version
    http://www.squierwiki.com/Contemporary-Bullet-HST-(1st-Version)

MIK version
    http://www.squierwiki.com/Contemporary-Bullet-HST-(2nd-Version)

My examples below.

IMG_20180713_143946233.jpg HSSbullet1.jpg

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
  3. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

Once upon a time, there were two lads in a guitar shop. One said to the other "let's change the stickers on these guitars, it will be a right hoot in 30 years time, when the internet has been invented. People will get themselves in a right tangle trying to explain it".

The rest is rock 'n' roll. :lol:

stevemc and drewcp like this.
  4. Michael A.

Michael A. Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

5. SJ05205

SJ05205 NEW MEMBER!

Thanks for the reply. I took a quick peek over there. I figured an E6 with a Made In Korea sticker would get responses... but I’ve never been called an “internet troll with experience before” lol Anyway, The differences between the made in Japan in the made in Korea guitars are interesting. But, I assure you I have no silly agenda. What I have is what I have.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
  6. AndyPanda

AndyPanda Tele-Holic

The internet had been around for a few years already when this guitar was built. It was just for the geekiest of us back then with our 300 and then 1200 baud modems :lol: (I remember being so excited when I upgraded to 2400 baud)

7. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

I had a 300 baud modem too, but BBS in the mid 80s were not the internet.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.