Uni-vibe and/or Phaser....need both?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by bluesholyman, Dec 6, 2019.

1. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Tele-Afflicted

The differences between these, when thePhaser is set right, seems so close. Maybe its just the warble (un-evenness?) of the 'Vibes waveform that distinguishes it.

I like the Uni-vibe sound and always thought of phaser as that 80s Van Halen sound, until I started playing with one and discovered a uni-vibe-like sound in there as well as some Leslie-ish tones....

Just curious what your thoughts are on needing both or if one will serve double duty sufficiently...

2. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Nope. One is enough. If you need something to compliment one or the other, I would grab a tremolo that can do the brownface harmonic thing.

thunderbyrd and bluesholyman like this.
  3. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

oddly enough, if you turn the intensity up & the speed all the way down, the harmonic trem in a Flint will get pretty close to a vibe / phase thing.

nocastermike and thunderbyrd like this.
  4. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

I do more country stuff, so I prefer a phase pedal for outlaw-type stuff. If I was doing more Hendrix or psychedelic stuff, I would probably lean towards a vibe. Either one would work in a pinch, but I would choose the one that most suits whatever you play more often.

5. twangjeff

twangjeff Tele-Afflicted

It also depends how many stages of phase you are using. For instance, a Phase 45 will get really close to a Uni Vibe sound.

6. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Friend of Leo's

Uni-Vibes were s'posed to be Leslie or rotary speaker simulators, complete with a foot controller for ramping up the speed. The Uni-Vibe *is* a four-stage phaser. It's just a bad one, as the warble is not a conscious design decision, but rather a happy accident. You could decrease the intensity of the Vibe effect so it sounds more like a "regular" phaser, but that kind of misses the point.

7. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Tele-Holic

I like both, they are different and I use them front of dirt. Although I use the vibe much more than the phaser.
    Although, does the Internet care about my opinion? It's pretty clear than I'm not part of the in-crowd, pedal snob team.

Spark >Phase 90> Soul Vibe> TS9 > Tonelab> Amp

pedal board 2.jpg

8. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

In my mind, all modulation is good modulation with one glaring exception: chorus.

I just don’t dig chorus...

On my Big Ol’ Board of Sonic Bliss is both a Leslie/UniVibe simulator (Boss RT-20 does both) and a (vintage) MXR Phase 90; there’s a fantabulous tremolo/vibrato/whatever on my amps (‘63-reissue Vibroverb and a early 70’s Gibson G-20)...I also have (off-board) a killer Danelectro Cool Cat Tremolo.

...and of course, I have a Crybaby wah, too.

Although I’m considering paring down my pedals, I still want a flange...I don’t know why—I’d only use it on a couple of tunes—but I want one.

I just can’t stand chorus...probably because it (and digital delay) were omnipresent amongst rock/Metal guitarists when I first starting playing and I got burned out hearing my bandmates aping that particular sound.

So go get a good phase shifter and a good UniVibe and a good tremolo and a good vibrato and a good flanger and a good Leslie simulator and...

Rowdyman likes this.
  9. 41144

41144 Tele-Afflicted

Can't personally see how a phaser and Vibe work together? But then again not really an 80s kind of guy!.... .. Love a Vibe effect ... But not a fan of running more that one Mod ( Vibe, Delay, Flanger) at a time.

10. Rich_S

Rich_S Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I love the Phase 90 sound and have a Phase 95 on my board, almost always set to the Script 90 mode.

When my old high school band did our 40th reunion a few years ago, the other guitar player (a total Trower freak) insisted we do “To Rolling Stoned”. I am NOT a Trower freak, but wanted to sound similar. I switched my Phase 95 to 45 mode, played with the speed until it sounded right, an got a “close enough” Univibe sound.

11. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

I like my MXR Micro Flanger because it does a...
    sorta Phaser
    sorta Chorus
    sorta Leslie
    and something else too, oh yeah...Flanging. :lol:

12. lefty73

lefty73 Tele-Afflicted

Just stir the pot a bit more, let's not forget about Harmonic Tremolo, like what @KC was saying. :) I love the version of this effect in my HX Effects, usually after dirt and before delays and 'verbs.

13. nocastermike

nocastermike Tele-Meister

The flint harmonic trem is all you need.

FenderLover likes this.
  14. nic'o'caster

nic'o'caster Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I can use a phaser in a lot of situations and styles (reggae, funk, pop), while a vibe seems to be often too much. A harmonic trem is close but I prefer to have a standard trem and a phaser, it seems more versatile to me. Of course it all depends on the material you play !

15. jimilee

jimilee Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Yes, the answer is always yes. More=better, always. :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fiesta Red likes this.
  16. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Tele-Afflicted

wildschwein likes this.
  17. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

To my ears and IME they are pretty different sounds. I couldn't really get a Phase 90 sound out of a Univibe or vice versa.
    I prefer the Phase tone but I appreciate a Univibe sound, just don't use it with the type music we play.

Fiesta Red likes this.
  18. LKB3rd

LKB3rd Friend of Leo's

I survived that era too, and at that time felt the same way, BUT now I love chorus for the nostalgia of it. I have an old Boss CE-2 and it sounds great, and these days it isn't overdone.

duzie likes this.
  19. BBill64

BBill64 Tele-Afflicted

phaser and univibe can do the same job but they sound completely different to me. tremolo does a very different job, evokes something very distinct to other modulations.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.