Unheard-of Strat Mod - Anyone?

AustinPaul

TDPRI Member
This thread is making me think about a strat’s three control holes being used (one with a concentric pot) to incorporate a V/V/T Jazz bass wiring system for the neck and bridge pickups and a Brent Mason-style blendable middle pickup.

Oh, wait, whoops...

I think it’s a cool idea and encourage you to do it.
Thanks man! We'll see how this experiment goes.

AustinPaul

TDPRI Member
The prices totally are unreal for pre-made. I had one made for 4x12's and another made for when I'm running dual combo amps.

The one for the combos was a little more pricey as I can split it into singles.

Can hardly wait to give it a rundown with the new sf super reverb and the tweed bassman
Did you have them use a piano hinge for either or both of them? That's what I'm envisioning so I can adjust in or out and then easily fold for transport.

Edit: I just had a thought <watch out! >, I'm betting that there are a bunch of unsold covid shields of all sizes that sellers are trying get rid of? I've seen them from flimsy plastic, to maybe 1/8 to 1/4" thickness. You've got me brainstorming now!

I'm going to see what's out there.

TunedupFlat

Tele-Meister
Screenshot_20220617-173644_Chrome.jpg

Here is like what I used for hinges on the 4x12's shield on the first iteration. The next one I'm going to do is to router out a channel and instead of the adhesive I'm going to use a interlocking slip fit that with a seal that will be able to be disassembled.

As long as it is tight and doesn't rattle at all I think that will be best option, as right now, it is as tall as the half stack and instead of 2 pannels for the front I used 1( makes transport that much more complicated)

I used 1/4 inch thick and that was almost overkill. I'm going to try 3/16 next time to see if I can the weight down a touch.

The cool part with a shield that you don't like is that plenty of others might want one too. My first 4x12 shield is already spoken for by someone who wants one for their home studio.

Good luck in your adventures in amp shields!
Screenshot_20220617-175407_Chrome.jpg

You could always try a hinge like this for easy assembly and disassembly

Last edited:

AustinPaul

TDPRI Member
View attachment 995103
Here is like what I used for hinges on the 4x12's shield on the first iteration. The next one I'm going to do is to router out a channel and instead of the adhesive I'm going to use a interlocking slip fit that with a seal that will be able to be disassembled.

As long as it is tight and doesn't rattle at all I think that will be best cause right now, it is as tall as the half stack and instead of 2 pannels for the front I used 1( makes transport that much more complicated)

I used 1/4 inch thick and that was almost overkill. I'm going to try 3/16 next time to see if I can the weight down a touch.

The cool part with a shield that you don't like is that plenty of others might want one too. My first 4x12 shield is already spoken for by someone who wants one for their home studio.

Good luck in your adventures in amp shields! View attachment 995108
You could always try a hinge like this for easy assembly and disassembly
Great info. Thanks brother. A lot to think about.