Unfinished Warmoth neck

King Diamond

TDPRI Member
Hey guys.

Got a question.
I live in Scandinavia and plan to order a neck from Warmoth.
The plan is to order it unfinished and finish it myself on arrival.
The reason for this is to reduce the ridicilous taxes you are inflicted with when you order something outside of the EU.
My question is, is this a bad idea?
Will the neck be able to withstand the adventure across the atlantic unfinished?

This text can be found on their site:

For a valid warranty, Maple, Mahogany, Walnut, Korina, and Koa necks must be covered in a hard finish, sufficiently thick to completely cover the entire surface of the wood. Oil finishes do not validate our warranty requirements.

All our necks are dipped in an oil based penetrating sealer which is compatible with virtually all secondary finishes. This provides enhanced stability; however, it is not adequate protection for playing. We strongly recommend you apply a hard finish to all Maple, Mahogany, Walnut, Korina, and Koa necks.

Correct me if I am wrong, English is not my first language.
As far as I understand it, they dip the neck in oil so that it doesn't break during delivery but it will not withstand being played on without a finish.
This way the customer has time to finish the neck before any detrimental damage can take place?

Cheers.

FuncleManson

Tele-Meister
I'm not an expert, so I can't give you a definitive answer, but I think that you'd be fine ordering it unfinished. I currently have an unfinished Warmoth maple neck for a project I'm working on. I probably won't get a chance to finish it until the spring, when I can work outside or in the garage. It's stored in my climate-controlled house, so I'm not too worried about it.

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
The neck will travel just fine. The penetrating sealer they use protects it from moisture, etc.

Warmoth wants a hard finish on many or their neck woods (some don't require it) because it allows them to warranty the neck from twisting and warping.

Your English is very good!

electroman

TDPRI Member
I know your question is about an unfinished neck, but I would also recommend Warmoth's roasted maple necks. They are light, look great, and feel super smooth. I have two of them and used a couple of thin coats of Tru-oil just to make them easier to keep clean. I can't see ever buying another neck that wasn't roasted maple. Also, they have been very stable for years. No problem with your English by the way.