Unexpected things about your guitars & other instruments

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by tbp0701, Mar 31, 2020.

1. tbp0701

tbp0701 Tele-Afflicted

As I've been able to play guitar again I've thought about some of the unexpected things about my instruments and wondered if others had similar things. For instance:

I have seven guitars, five electric and two acoustic. I also have a digital piano, a sax, and other woodwinds. (Sax was my major instrument in school).
    • The guitar I play the most, the Strat, cost the least.
    • The two on which I spent the most are the least-played.
    • The only two with shielding paint have humbuckers. The three single coil guitars do not.
    • Six of the seven are US-made. The CiJ Tele is the exception.
    • When I had to stop playing I tried selling the PRS Mira to GC, but the offer was absurdly low. When I could play again the Mira was the first I picked up. It's now my second-most played.
    • While I've often wanted a bright-colored guitar like seafoam green or Lake Placid blue, all of them are natural, brown, or dark red.
    • None are fancy or blingy. Even the PRS is about as plain as a PRS can be.
    • I've wanted a 335 (or equivalent) since before I began playing, but I've never bought one. Nor have I bought a Les Paul.
    • While I prefer buying from smaller shops, the two most-played guitars were bought at GC/MF.
    • Having a digital piano really helped get through some dark times, especially as I had to stop playing guitar.
    • I've considered selling my tenor sax several times, but I've never brought myself to do it.
    • I never really experienced GAS with woodwinds, although I could see myself buying a few keyboards if I had enough room. With guitars, though, I keep getting tempted to buy another.
    • I last bought a guitar in 2015. It looks like prices have increased quite a bit in just five years.
    So, have anything similar, odd, interesting, unexpected?

2. gitold

gitold Poster Extraordinaire

There seem to be more and more of them on the market. There are so many brands of decent and great guitars you can’t keep up.

tbp0701 likes this.
  3. TigerG

TigerG Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I just found out that the my 50's two-12 dual-6L6 Airline amp that I've had since I was 14 and that I thought must be one of the most obscure amps in rock n roll history (having never seen another and having only recently found pics of just two or three other specimens online) is likely the same circuit as the fabled Supro that Mr Page used on the early records of his very famous band.

4. Steve 78

Steve 78 Friend of Leo's

• My 12 string, played with distortion, sounds like a 6 string with a very very mild phasing effect on it. (I sold it).
    • Of my 2 most expensive guitars, 1 was ordered unseen via a shop. 1 was bought 2nd hand from overseas. They're both great. (and I realize I got lucky).
    • My cheapest guitar cost about 1/30th of my most expensive. The only thing wrong with it was the switch. It's a keeper.

tbp0701 likes this.
  5. Masmus

Masmus Tele-Meister

I can get so crazed with vintage gear that I bought a couple of 70's SM57's just to get the right sound for my 70's Marshalls but then on the same song I'll lay tracks down with a chinese Epi through a plugin.

6. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

That's a merry bucket list of wonders for a fella to be carrying around in his head at any one time.......o_O:eek:

I think we're going to need a bigger bucket here soon....:lol:

7. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

1. All of my dozen instruments (guitars and basses) have cutaways
    2. Both of my basses have 34 inch scales
    3. All of my instruments have pickups
    4. Four of my guitars have 1 3/4 inch nut widths
    5. Only one of my guitars (my gold top Les Paul) has single coil pickups
    6, Only one of my guitars, (my EJ Strat) has a maple fingerboard
    7. Three of my instruments have sunburst finishes (love the instruments, though I’m not crazy about sunburst finishes)
    8. Three of my ten guitars have TV Jones pickups
    9. Two of my three Teles have Hipshot Will Ray (B bender only) benders
    10. I have three Les Paul style guitars
    11. Only my Yamaha NTX-700 is un-modified
    12. Only my Gretsch has a Bigsby
    13. Only two of my guitars “live” in hard shell cases, the rest are in bags
    14. Nine of my dozen instruments are single cutaway
    15. Three of my dozen instruments are double cutaway
    16. Three of my dozen instruments are hollow
    17. Three of my electric guitar are strung with D’Addarrio XL Heavy 12-54 strings
    18. My Les Paul style guitars are strung with D’Addarrio XL Medium 11-49
    19. Only my EJ Strat is strung with GHS EJ11s
    20. Only my PRS Kestrel bass is strung with flatwounds strings (Thomastik/Infeld)
    21. Five of my instruments earn me money, the rest are more for fun/home use
    22. Only two of my instruments have ebony fingerboard
    23. Nine of my dozen instruments have rosewood fingerboards
    24. All of my instruments have large strap buttons
    25. Each of my instruments has it’s “own” leather strap
    26. Each has it’s own cord
    27. Only my Strat has a double straight cord, the rest are one angle, one straight
    28. Five of my electric guitars have phase switches
    29. Eight of my guitars have 25 1/2 inch scales
    30. Three of my instruments are black
    31. Seven of my instruments have bound fingerboards
    32. Nine of my instruments are US made
    Blah blah blah, eh?

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
  8. Modman68

Modman68 Tele-Holic

I’ve installed “trap door” frets on my #1.

If someone asks to play it, I activate them and random frets drop just below level, making it impossible to play in tune.

......and my guitar strap is directional.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ricky D. and verb boten like this.
  9. Downshift

Downshift Tele-Holic

Over the years, I've owned dozens of guitars. But the only three I own now, are the first three I got. In two cases, I had to hunt them down and buy them back at a premium, because I missed them so much. I don't think any guitar sounds quite as good as the first one you fall in love with.

10. WingedWords

WingedWords Tele-Afflicted

I still have my first pick from 1968.

20180911_095840.jpg
    The guitar I lusted over and saved and saved for while paying a mortgage and bringing up a family is my least played now. But will be the last one I sell. Such is the power of sentiment!

1990 EC Strat.

20180216_152847.jpg

My current favourites are an ESP Edwards (Esquired by me), an AO Jazzmaster, and a Mule resonator. For nearly 50 years I totally ignored the potential of single p/u, offsets and resonators and in the last 2 years each of them has taken my playing out of a very deep rut.

You never know what will turn up.

Oh and if we're talking of costs, this pedal cost me peanuts in 1976, I used it twice and sold it for a ridiculous amount earlier this year.

FB_IMG_1540013604656.jpg

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
  11. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

My Mustang doesn’t like spaghetti. What’s up with that?

stormsedge and tbp0701 like this.
  12. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I'm finding that any guitar through an amp plugin sounds freaking fantastic. Because when you think about it, nobody is making plugins of crap amplifiers.

tbp0701 likes this.
  13. gimmeatele

gimmeatele Tele-Meister

Went to a local guitar shop intending to purchase a champ 600, came away with a Champ II, that had been a trade in amp, I liked it, took it for the same price as the champ 600 and did not realise what I had till I looked on the web, result

stormsedge, verb boten and tbp0701 like this.
  14. Masmus

Masmus Tele-Meister

I recorded at Abbey Road a couple of years ago and was able to use a pair of Fairchild 660's, so I asked the engineer how much difference there was between the real thing and the waves plugin and he said it was pretty close. All we need now is a way to make an SM58 sound just like a U87.

3-Chord-Genius and tbp0701 like this.
  15. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I bought my 1989 Squier Strat "the Veteran" at my fifteenth birthday in June 1991.
    DSC02259.JPG
    I replaced EVERYTHING aside from the body on that guitar and now after putting a Dimarzio FS-1 in its bridge position, I feel like I finally got the guitar the way I always wanted it to be.

But still, if I could go back in time and stop myself from doing all those mods...

stormsedge, tbp0701 and brookdalebill like this.
  16. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

My first amp was a Peavey Bandit 65 purchased in 1986. I didn't like it, bought (and sold) some vintage Fender and Musicman tube amps and didn't really use it much for about 12 years. The modeling came along and the Bandit's clean channel and modeling were a perfect match so I've used it pretty steadily ever since.

Speaking of modeling and such, I was surprised by how big a game changer impulse responses are.

Learning how to setup, repair and modify guitars gave me access to a wider range of possibilities and what works and doesn't work and what should be changed and what is optional. Building cigar box guitars furthered this since there's something about playing an instrument that might implode at any moment.

While I like the Fender aesthetics a lot more than Gibson, over the years I've found that I like the 24 3/4" scale length and humbuckers (and P90s) better.

tbp0701 likes this.
  17. Unionjack515

Unionjack515 Tele-Afflicted

My first electric was a 1996 Strat Plus. I essentially knew nothing about what the specs on the guitar did to change the sound (and I still don’t...I just have 25 years or so of reading internet rumors under my belt now). I “ordered” the guitar at a local Guitar Center (which I found out really meant “transferred from another store”) and didn’t have a preference on rosewood vs maple fretboard. And they said “ok well whatever shows up, you’ll be happy with it.” And it was true, I had my first electric guitar...and 25 years later it’s still an awesome instrument—a workhorse, to say the least.

Anyway, long way to get to this, but now I’ve got a bunch of guitars including a couple non- weight relieved Les Paul R8s. I literally did not care about guitar weight until this year (and honestly, I still don’t really care about it but it is something I look at, probably just because everyone includes it on their ads). I had sold a LP Traditional and wanted to include the weight so I bought a postal scale. The LP Traditional weighed in at about 9lb 2oz. Then I got curious about my other guitars. Les Paul R8 #1: 8lb 6oz. Les Paul R8 #2: 8lb 7oz. And the shocker: Strat Plus: 8lb 7oz. Must be the TBX...ha! I had played all three for years and years and years and didn’t think for one second “ugh this is a heavy Strat...if it were lighter I bet it would sound so much better” and never regretted that I hadn’t sought out a lighter one. And I had never thought...”geez this Les Paul sure is a light one...I hope they didn’t lie to me about the weight relief, because I know those sound worse...”. The good news is that I still don’t think those things. I just love the things those guitars can do.

Moral of the story...buy guitars that you feel have a great sound and just play them. Sometimes you get lucky (as I did with my first electric) and despite “ordering” it and not knowing if it was a “good one” when picking it up, 25 years later it turns out...still an awesome guitar.

tbp0701 and Chuckster like this.
  18. Hobbo

Hobbo TDPRI Member

I spent months searching for a 335 style guitar because I felt I wasn't a proper guitarist (and there's nothing better than playing bb king licks) unless I owned a hollowbody. Tried every brand under the sun. Felt quite disappointed because I just didn't fall in love with any and I gave up the search.

Then I visited my local used record store and unexpectedly saw a Gretsch Electromatic hanging there, luring me in. Instantly fell in love with it.

And now I play my bb king licks on that!
    : )

tbp0701 likes this.
  19. Chuckster

Chuckster Tele-Holic

I can't stop buying guitars, but I like unique guitars... '57 Strats and LP Goldtops don't interest me at all.

I quickly sold the most expensive guitar I've ever bought - a Taylor 414CE. It played and sounded amazing, but I was terrified I'd damage it and kept it in the case.

The Hofner 500/1 CT I recently bought off craigslist for $400 with case now seems, according to many, to be one of the original 9 prototypes they made. I had no idea.

My Steinberger Spirit bass is surprisingly difficult to play; it's odd how the lack of a headstock affects your playing and positioning.

I have 23 guitars, and only 3 have maple necks.

An earlier post mentioned a Strat Plus... I have an '89 Strat Plus that I bought in '98 for $400. It is by far the best electric guitar I own, barring maybe the Rics.

I keep saying I'm going to sell all of my Squiers and buy a Gretsch 6120... then I go and buy another used Squier. Why?

Why do I love wacky, quirky guitars? They have to be quality guitars though, like MicroFrets, Goya, Mosrite, Wurlitzer, etc. I've had many Tiescos and Univoxs and they are generally garbage.

I have all of these guitars and amps, and yet I never leave my guitar room, I'm not a very good player, and I don't record. Is that normal? Am I normal?

...don't answer that.

tbp0701 likes this.
  20. darkwaters

darkwaters Tele-Afflicted

Hmmmmmm. Let's see:

1) I own 3 acoustics (Tak EF341C, Simon & Patrick Woodland Pro, and a Taylor 12-N) and 3 electrics (Epi Dot, Squier Tele, and a Gibson SG Special Faded). All have rosewood boards, except my nylon string, which is ebony.

2) All my electrics have humbuckers, except a Rev Jetstream, which sits in it's case in the basement and will be sold when things get back to normal. I already think of it as gone.

3) All 6 guitars were manufactured in different countries: Mexico, Japan, Indonesia, China, Canada and the USA.

4) My cheapest guitar is the Squier, but, if there was a fire, I'd leave with the Squier in one hand and the Tak in the other, though losing the others would be heartbreaking... Once I'd made sure Ms. darkwaters was safe of course. :)

5) I've never owned a Strat or a Les Paul.

6) I have zero interest in owning any other guitars. I know. Shocking! :eek:

Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
    brookdalebill and tbp0701 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.