1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Unexpected NGD- My First Strat!

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by 1 21 gigawatts, Oct 3, 2020.

1. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone Tele-Meister

Important useful thing to know: Squiers are not always the same as Fenders when it comes to pickguard layout. Check and make sure everything lines up, especially the screws. The the pickups. I got burned on this when I was upgrading my daughter's P bass. I had to send a life size tracing to Pickguardian to get her a cooler version than the plain white it came with.

2. 1 21 gigawatts

1 21 gigawatts Tele-Meister

I am really indecisive. I was about to order new pickups, pot, switch, etc, but couldn't pull the trigger. I ended up tapping the switch for bigger screws and clipping off the anti-rotation tabs on the pots in order to install the stock electronics on the new pickguard. I know that I will ultimately replace the pots and switch, but I want to experiment with the stock pups before buying anything. Pups are so subjective, and I'm really not a huge fan of the vintage strat tone anyways, so who knows...

I think that the main reason for not ordering is that I want to drag this project out longer. My favorite part of any project is researching parts to buy and looking for good deals. Once I order something, I'll have to move on to something else.:rolleyes:

3. reddy2300

reddy2300 Tele-Meister

Try wiring the bridge pickup to a tone control. It's free. Might just be what you'd like. Plus, it's free.

4. 1 21 gigawatts

Yep- already done. I moved the second tone pot from the middle to the bridge. Middle is wide open.

MIM trem assembly was delivered yesterday afternoon. It fit right in with no routing/trimming necessary. I think that I am ready to string her up and plug her in.

5. 1 21 gigawatts

Done. My first setup of a trem went OK. I couldn't decide between decking it or floating it, so I split the difference. It is floating but just barely.

Played it for a bit, and I am impressed with the way that it sounds. It doesn't have that vintage strat tone and positions 2 and 4 are "quacky", but I am OK with this. I can get a pretty good bluesy tone from the neck, and some nice bite out of the bridge. The middle pickup sounds fantastic! Maybe because it isn't going through either of the cheap tone pots???

Anyways, I'm going to roll with the stock pickups for a while. I will order the full size pots and switch to replace the cheap ones.

Here is the finished product. Not bad for under $100 total...
    20201011_124331.jpg

teletimetx, preactor and Zepfan like this.
  6. 1 21 gigawatts

Just an update now that I have had more time with her. I am still loving the stock pickups! They are ceramic, but only measure 3.2k of resistance. The low output allows me to use the gain and OD on the amp without turning to mush.

The only problem now is that after the P90 and single coils, the HB's in my PRS sound terrible now. Maybe I'm a single coil guy afterall...

7. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I use the aluminum HVAC tape for just under $ bucks a roll and do the cavities and back side of the entire guard. takes out most of the noise.
    I've heard a lot of people complain about the pickups in their PRS guitars. Maybe the heights need to be adjusted or wired different?

I couldn't stand single coil pickups with solid state amps when I was young, now I have a tube amp and can't get enough of P90's, Fat Tele bridge pickups, Gold Foils and real Firebird pickups. I like the mini-buckers too, Filtertrons and Dynasonics are cool.
    Variety is the spice of life.

8. preactor

preactor Tele-Holic

Nice guitar...But...I think you owe your wife a nice Supper (or Dinner) for her part in your story!;););)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.