1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Unexpected NGD- My First Strat!

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by 1 21 gigawatts, Oct 3, 2020.

1. 1 21 gigawatts

1 21 gigawatts Tele-Holic

Around 7pm tonight, I'm playing hide and seek with my two sons. My wife stops me when I walk by to show me a garage sale add photo with two Squire strats- a Blackie and a sunburst. I ask if the sale was tomorrow and she told me that the add was from 10 hours ago. Oh well-I figured that I missed out. She texted the woman, and the sunburst was still available. $60 with the cheap Squire amp and stand. Not that I want the amp, but that told me that it was an SE which is what I have been looking for. No questions, no haggling, I told my wife to text back that I'll take it. 20 minutes later I was on my way home with a dusty but otherwise good condition sunburst SE. Nice chunky neck, just how I like it.
    20201003_203954.jpg

Plans: Black pickguard, upgraded pickups and electronics, MIM trem

2. Toadtele

Toadtele Tele-Afflicted

Congratulations. On having an amazing wife.
    And the guitar.

3. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

Nice. Congrats.

4. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

If you're going for a black PG, then please put black knobs and PU covers on too. IMO, a black PG with white plastic looks as dumb as a tort one with white.

5. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

Nice. Congratulations.

6. Engine Swap

Engine Swap Tele-Afflicted

So you married an enabler...nice!

Steve Holt likes this.
  7. 1 21 gigawatts

Blasphemy! I love cream knobs/pickup covers on a black pickguard. ;)

rangercaster and 8trackmind like this.
  8. peteycaster

peteycaster Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Blue strat.JPG I also have an SE that I modded. Now my number 1 strat. I didn't realise until I read the specs but these have the same thickness body as the Fenders.

9. 1 21 gigawatts

Yep- that is why SEs are desirable. They are cheap, plentiful, and have full thickness bodies and nice necks. If modding, you will replace all of the cheap parts anyways.

10. Radspin

Radspin Friend of Leo's

I have one of those and did the same thing as you're planning on doing with the upgrades and it's a terrific guitar. Yes, large neck, almost too big for me to handle but on the other hand, WAY better than the skinny necks on some Squiers. It is absolutely worth it to upgrade the pickups, electronics and especially, the bridge assembly.

11. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Great price for an SE, as well. Congrats!

12. 1 21 gigawatts

I played it for a few minutes with the gross strings just to try it out. I actually don't hate the neck and middle pickups; the bridge is pretty thin sounding. Maybe I'll just replace the bridge pickup to start with??

Started to strip her down. Cleaned up the frets (they were just as corroded as the strings), cleaned and oiled the fret board, and removed the trem and loaded pickguard.

Researching trems...

Last edited: Oct 5, 2020
  13. 1 21 gigawatts

Still researching parts. Stratosphere has wired pickups/pots/switch from the new Fender Players series for $80. Unless I'm missing something, this sounds like a great deal. The pots, switch, and wires would cost me about $30 alone, and I don't know that I could find a better set of pickups for $50. Pre-wired is a bonus. While I can solder, I can't solder as well as whoever does it all day at the Fender plant in Mexico.

The Player series pickups get great reviews, and it is already wired for the second tone pot to control the bridge (my preference, unless I go half blender).

That and a MIM trem would get it up to spec with the Players series. Sound like a good plan?

14. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Love Tort, but Black is cool too. Congrats on the Strat. Floating trem or decked trem?

15. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

It is going to look super awesome with a black pickguard and black pickups. I had a sunburst Stratocaster like that.

16. Leon Grizzard

Leon Grizzard Friend of Leo's

What a deal! great

17. 1 21 gigawatts

No trem right now. ;)
    Still trying to figure out if I want to get the MIM bridge assembly or just replace the block with a real steal one. The MIM has a big block, but still zinc. Plus, to me, the bent Fender saddles don't seem to be an upgrade over the block design.

Once I settle on something, it will be floating. This is the only guitar that I have with a trem, so it will be fun to play around with.

18. Renegade

Renegade Tele-Meister

Congrats on a great deal, the only thing I ever find at garage sales is old clothes and non functional tools.

19. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Tele-Holic

Congrats on a good deal. Fix it up the way you want and play away.

20. 1 21 gigawatts

Ordered a MIM bridge and black pickguard. I'm going to swap the stock electronics over before deciding on what to replace.

I did complete the world's cheapest and ugliest shielding job. Aluminum foil and 3M spray adhesive.
    20201008_112526.jpg

EDIT: Plans have already changed. As I was swapping the electronics over to the new pickguard, I ran into two problems. 1- One of the screw bosses on the switch was stripped, 2- the pots have tabs that fits into notches on the pickguard to prevent them from spinning. While both are fixable, I don't feel like messing around with cheap parts. I could just order new pots and switch, but if I am re-soldering everything, I may as well change the pups at the same time.

Also, the new pickguard came with adhesive-foil shielding (almost exactly like the stock part). When I test continuity on it, it shows continuity but the resistance doesn't drop to "0" like when I tested my aluminum foil shielding. Good enough, or should I shield it with aluminum foil?

Last edited: Oct 8, 2020
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.