Unexpected NGD - Melody Maker type

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by mkdaws32, Jun 18, 2021.

1. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Too many guitars, but another just dropped into my lap. My daughters boyfriend plays mostly acoustic and has a decent Squier for his electric needs. But he pulled this out of the closet and dropped it off to me a couple of days ago. He just wanted to get it out of his space and thought I could do something with it.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Talent is apparently a Gibson/Baldwin student brand - go figure. The neck is straight and solid and the body seems to be some kind of solid wood. Stock sealed tuners are smooth and seem really good. The bridge and plastic nut will have to go. I’m thinking of refinishing in pearl white and keeping the neck solid black - and of course keeping the black pick guard. But before the refin and replacing the bridge with a tube o matic, I’m just going to clean it up, install a nut and new electronics and set it up and play it for a while to see how it feels.

Ive thought about getting a melody maker style before, but have never actually had one - could be fun.

Anyone else ever run into a “Talent” guitar? It doesn’t seem bad at all to me.

Edit: oh, and of course the boyfriend-in-law will get a meal and beer on me ;)

Edit2: Oh - an for those that knew better than me, I acknowledged below that this is an LP Jr, and not a Melody Maker style ;)

Last edited: Jun 18, 2021
    DjimiWrey, Censport, JL_LI and 9 others like this.
  2. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

mkdaws32 likes this.
  3. mkdaws32

@sparky - Yeah - I saw that one. Not much of a collectors item, are they, LOL!

I guess it’s more of a Les Paul Junior than a Melody Maker (I don’t know the Gibson models that well). Should still be fun!

4. stormsedge

stormsedge Poster Extraordinaire

Cool! HNGD!

5. mkdaws32

It is kinda cool. I’ve said before I’m a bit of an irrational brand snob, myself, but I’m finding a lot of joy these days in some of these cheapies that seem to find their way to me - something about taking a mutt and cleaning it up and making it into something unique and special.

stormsedge likes this.
  6. mkdaws32

upload_2021-6-18_8-9-12.png

This will work better than what’s on there and will be easier than putting on a full tune o matic bridge and tailpiece. Should be much more solid than what’s on there. I’ve had good experiences with Wilkinson hardware on cheaper guitars.

I measured with my calipers and this is a drop in replacement.

Zepfan, Flip G, NoTeleBob and 2 others like this.
  7. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Tele-Afflicted

I would check to see if the guitar has any inherent value before modding it if it was mine. All it really needs is a good cleaning IMO ..

8. 1 21 gigawatts

1 21 gigawatts Tele-Afflicted

It doesn't. The Baldwin LP Juniors sell on Goodwill Auctions all the time. They are below the cheap Epiphone Juniors in hierarchy of value. Mod away.

I'd replace the lighting bolt bridge with a proper (modern) one or maybe the wider PRS-style Wilkenson one. You can drop a dogear P-90 into it with were minimal routing- a couple of minutes with a chisel.

9. mkdaws32

Lol! Nope - no value except to me. Used on Reverb this one is going for $95 Canadian dollars, and that’s probably considered high for this. The nut is cut very badly, so that the D string actually bottoms out in the first fret. Also, the finish is actually starting to peel from the neck at the edges of the fretboard. What is astounding is how good the fretwork is and how straight the neck is. Very low action and no buzz at all (other than the D on the first fret).

It needs some TLC, but it feels really well and plays well in the hands - I have a vintage PAF spec bridge pickup from Tone Emporium just sitting in my parts box - zebra style. It should sound amazing in this

2HBStrat likes this.
  10. mkdaws32

I thought of that (the dog ear). I’ve never tried to redo fit one into an HB route before. I have no problem routing it out, but would it completely cover the existing HB hole? I don’t have a dog ear pickup in my parts bin to check.

11. drf64

drf64 Doctor of Teleocity

I wish I had TALENT!

mkdaws32 likes this.
  12. mkdaws32

I always did too… and now I do!!

drf64 likes this.
  13. 1 21 gigawatts

Here is my project thread when I installed one into my Epi: https://www.tdpri.com/threads/project-dogear-p90-in-humbucker-route.1050273/
    The dogear cover itself will probably be just short of line-to-line (depending on how wide they cut the HB route). Not really noticeable, unless you look close. If you install a spacer to get the dogear closer to the strings, the spacer will cover the route completely. I simply cut a spacer out of a black sheet of craft foam.

I still think that the cheap P-90 that I used sounds good, even though I now have a Gibson Junior to compare it to. The Gibson obviously sounds better, but the $16 P-90 has no right to sound as good as it does and will completely transform that guitar!

mkdaws32 likes this.
  14. mkdaws32

That's cool! If you read my earlier post you will see I'm also going for a white on black finished product! I know nothing about P-90s, but I think this is the perfect opportunity to learn. Since it's getting a refinish, it will be easy cover up the original HB mounting ring holes.

15. 1 21 gigawatts

Throw a white Tusq nut on it. Cheap upgrade and will look more "correct".

16. NoTeleBob

NoTeleBob Friend of Leo's

Ding, ding, ding... that's the one to get. I had a similar Gibson and used one of those and it let me get the intonation spot on.

However, you should also order a set of locking posts. There are a couple different sets you can get for under $20. Those one piece wraparound's will tend to tilt otherwise and you will have some set up issues.

I also upgraded to used Grovers. The stock tuners were marginal. You need to ream to 10mm if you do that unless you luck into some vintage style.

Level the frats, set it up, and it's a nice little player.

17. mkdaws32

@NoTeleBob - Yep! Already ordered the bridge and the existing bridge is, in fact, tilted forward. I'll be replacing the posts. I'm going to leave the tuners for now - I don't want to put too much into this. If they tend to slip when it's all set up, they'll have to go, though.

@1 21 gigawatts - Hah! Great minds think alike! I love the TUSQ nuts and use TUSQ XL or Black TUSQ on my Strats for helping with tuning stability (I float non-locking trems). My local shop has a white Gibson style TUSQ pre slotted nut in stock - already checked!

An here's the dog ear I just ordered! 8.1K wind - seems to split the difference between "modern" and "vintage" output - should be awesome!

As an aside, the Tone Emporium PAF pickup set won't be wasted, though... I'll put those in a Schecter I need to upgrade. It had EMG-HZ pickups, which a lot of people like, but I find them very sterile and lacking any warmth. [​IMG]

18. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Poster Extraordinaire

Cool. Tear it up.

19. 1 21 gigawatts

The Gibson and Epiphone nuts are different. The Gibson nut slot is even with the bottom of the fret board while the Epiphone is cut into the neck deeper (= taller nut). I suspect that the Baldwin will take the Epiphone style.

20. mkdaws32

Good to know - they probably have both. I was going to take the original plastic nut in with me to verify the width and string spacing. Hopefully whatever they have will be more than deep enough so I can sand down to the correct height without having to shim it. Again - working on stuff in the "Gibson world" is rather new to me.

EDIT: Go figure - I just looked and it's level with the bottom of the fretboard.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.