Unexpected NGD - 2015 American Standard (Relic’d)

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Andy Summers, Nov 2, 2019.

1. Andy Summers

Andy Summers Friend of Leo's

Hey All,

So I went down to my local GC, as I do too often :) And decided to try out an Aerodyne Classic Strat. I found nothing redeeming about that guitar, personally. As I had my friend and GC associate hang it back up, there was this raggedy looking Tele next to it....with a super low price tag, so I figured I’d ask him to grab it while he was up there. He said it was “professionally” relic’d (whatever that means) and that they had to price it really low because of that. Other than that this guitar plays and sounds like what a Tele should inside my head. I’ve heard many recordings and watched videos of how I wanted my Tele to sound and have rarely found that exact “tone” in my own search. This one has it. And it fits like a glove. The way it vibrated against me when I was playing it was the final factor in my decision to grab it.

When I got home with it and researched that year, I see these came with Custom Shop Broadcaster and Twisted Tele pickups. No wonder it sounds so good, though I think there’s more to this guitar’s sound than just that...can’t quite put my finger on it though.

Now I know some of you will scoff at this purchase because of the “relicing”. I’m not looking for comments regarding that. I respect, understand and even many times agree with you, but please respect that this guitar just “spoke” to me and keep those comments to yourself. I’m a big boy, have had MANY guitars over the years, and know exactly what I’m doing. I guess personality can outweigh looks sometimes..haha. Though I think this is beautiful anyway.

There is one spot on this guitar though that I have a question about. As you go through the pics you’ll see the last one is a closeup of one spot. It’s more of a chip than a wear mark. Now I’ll never be playing in the rain or anything like that, but I’m wondering if I should cover that with a poly or anything? Again, no big deal, love it as is, just curious.

Also, anyone know if this pickup set can utilize a 4 way switch? (EDIT: Did my own research and see that this set can indeed work with a 4 way)

191C822F-17B1-481A-BB56-DBB01CB0C5A1.png BAF99381-EF6D-410A-A444-7931D417E030.jpeg 97D32C3E-BF35-44C7-ACA3-5C6B993B6EA5.jpeg 49B1AAE7-C421-4DD5-9982-FEE0D5F9315C.jpeg AA58AEB3-6EB9-455A-9C4F-CCC60D824EC0.jpeg 2626E4F6-07B1-4F26-BFFC-AEE3B62E632F.jpeg 6CAC9112-1E4E-45D9-A6C0-2EC79EBDB6B3.jpeg A7759E68-19B0-4218-A5EE-07222F6FFFCA.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
  2. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

Is the belly cut standard on that model and year?

Andy Summers likes this.
  3. Andy Summers

It is Durtdog. And that was one thing I was always against on a Tele. Didn’t matter with this guitar though. It’s really it’s own thing.

4. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah, I get it. Got my first Tele in 1969 and have all sorts of them over the years, old, new, American, Mexican, etc.

Imagine my surprise when a Mexican 72 RI Telecaster Deluxe (with the modern Wide Range Humbuckers everyone here seems to despise) became my #1 and only Telecaster.

You never know which guitar will speak to you.

TeleTex82, Flaneur and Andy Summers like this.
  5. Andy Summers

So true Durtdog. Like anything, it’s the chemistry between you and anyone or anything that takes things to the next level. Glad you found a good one.

6. ifallalot

ifallalot Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I love it

Andy Summers likes this.
  7. Toadtele

Toadtele Tele-Afflicted

I really like that guitar. I think the relic was done well. Congratulations.

Andy Summers likes this.
  8. Andy Summers

Thank you :)

And stop falling :) :)

9. Andy Summers

Thanks Toadtele! I do too. Whatever “professionally” done means in relicing terms, I believe that to be with this one :)

10. tele_pathic

tele_pathic Friend of Leo's

OMG that is beautiful. Nice score!

Andy Summers likes this.
  11. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

Like many a relic job, the important stuff has been left alone. Smart move, to judge a guitar by it's functionality....as an instrument. :cool:

I have a Tele with that pickup set. Hot Vintage.....and capable of making any Ugly Duckling fly like a Swan. :)

Andy Summers likes this.
  12. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

congrats! Glad you found one that fits. IIRC, that set of Broadcaster/Twisted Tele pickups is one of the things that folks love about the Baja. Good stuff. Even better that it's found a good home.

Andy Summers likes this.
  13. Andy Summers

Ahh! I forgot the Baja had this set. I’ve owned a couple of this over the years. I swear I didn’t get the same sound I get out of this one. But to be completely honest, I am now playing out of a great amp and have discovered a secret weapon in a 10 band EQ pedal. I’m sure this has something to do with it :)

And thank you!

teletimetx likes this.
  14. Andy Summers

Thank you!! Yeah, this relic job has no effect on playability. What they did to the back of the neck actually makes it better, in my opinion. And yeah, those pickups are magic! Glad you have your Swan as well :)

15. Andy Summers

Thank you tele_pathic :)

16. PixMix

PixMix Tele-Holic

HNGD! Nice find!

Andy Summers likes this.
  17. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

I think your point- about the great amp- was salient, here....:)

Andy Summers likes this.
  18. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I think it looks great! I wouldn’t seek out a relic finish, and even those who like them must admit that some are horrendous, but that’s pretty much a Goldilocks of relic finishing. As for bonding with something you didn’t expect to, well hell’s bells, I never knew I’d like telecasters. :)

Andy Summers likes this.
  19. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Congratulations!

Andy Summers likes this.
  20. Lef T

Lef T Tele-Holic

Great guitar.
    I have the same,but it is a 2016.
    The TT and BC pickups are a beautiful combination.
    I like the belly cut.
    The guitar is also lightweight.
    This guitar is perfect for me !
    I'm sure you're going to love it.

Andy Summers likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.