Unexpected New Cello Day

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by P Bill, Jun 22, 2021.

1. P Bill

P Bill Tele-Meister

After posting on the electric cello thread the other day, cellos have been on my mind. This one found me, it's very sound and solid timber throughout, maple fingerboard, AUD $180. It's new, no fb markers or signs of wear anywhere. It's one of the pawn shop's home brands.

The bridge only works out of position, closer the the fb. I'm adding some height. Bote-Cote epoxy paste, colored with ebony dust. A press fit for 24 hr.
    DSC06936.JPG

DSC06935.JPG

With the bridge in the right spot, the C and G strings are unplayable. The bridge must be from another instrument. I played it out of position at the pawn shop and the sound is very reasonable for an entry level instrument.

DSC06927.JPG

I want to tobacco burst this thing with a strong brown/black french polish over the existing polish. It's reversible on this one.

DSC06931.JPG

DSC06933.JPG

The pegbox and scroll particularly want some dark color.

DSC06930.JPG

2. Mojohand40

Mojohand40 Tele-Afflicted

Tobacco burst would look awesome. Keep us posted.
    I have a yamaha electric violin that when I want to fake cello on I use an octave pedal.
    Love the sound of cello but never took the plunge to buy one and learn it.
    (Fiddle is hard enough!)

3. 39martind18

39martind18 Friend of Leo's

Be sure to play it in your band- remember- There's always room for cello!:rolleyes::D:D

Harry Styron and brookdalebill like this.
  4. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Deleted

5. P Bill

P Bill Tele-Meister

Viola is a cello in a small package. I had a cello years back. I thought I knew a little about bowing because I play the fiddle. Completely different! On the day I sold it, waiting for the buyer, it dawned on me that I had to know up to the 5th fret blind. I was trying to watch my fb hand and the bowing. Now I know, lol.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2021
    Mojohand40 likes this.
  6. dougstrum

dougstrum Friend of Leo's

I've got a friend who is a cellist. Wonder if she's heard that one about always room for cello~

brookdalebill likes this.
  7. LuckyJinx

LuckyJinx Tele-Meister

It's something I was just wondering about: why do bowed instrument bridges have the grain across the bridge instead of running vertically? Surelly vertical grain would be less prone to squishing?

8. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The cello is one of my favorite "classical" stringed instruments for tone, etc. That one looks pretty nice and will be a nice project for you.

P Bill likes this.
  9. P Bill

P Bill Tele-Meister

Vertical grain would probably split up the middle. It's counterintuitive but they worked out long ago that a horizontal grain, narrow Y waist bridge will perform best. If the bridge is kept standing vertical (not allowed to creep a forward angle) it can last for years.

It's playable now. I'm convinced this bridge is from another instrument, now the feet want to be fitted better. This is as far I'll go for now.

DSC06940.JPG

achiii and Jim_in_PA like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.