Undervalued Amps to Buy Now

VonBonfire

Tele-Holic
Buy all of the old Gibsons and Fenders you can find, '48-'57.
There are some really good Gibson and Gibson-Maestro branded amp models from the first couple years of the 1960's that are also worth a serious look and the prices can still be sane. Research on specific models is important though.

Neptical

TDPRI Member
Origin 50..have two of the (h)eads here.

Put an SD-1 and Tumnus in front and you have the warmest, punchiest tones with some glassiness under the fingertips. Output settings from low to high will give you everything from tight to some sag. Tilt and Boost take it over the top. Highly recommended!

bkmont

TDPRI Member
As expected, I have none of these used sleeper amps in my stable. I'll just go to bed tonight thinking that I overpaid for the used stuff that I have. Oh well, buy high, sell low staying in my comfort zone.
ps, i'm keeping the names of the used amps that I have a secret in case I need another one :)

Les H

Tele-Holic
Carvin. Especially the X-60C model. Is it true? Who knows. But this is internet and I have one, so I might as well talk it up like the rest of you guys. Who knows, maybe Johan Segeborn will do a YouTube video on them and the price will go up

Ever since Carvin ceased building amps in late 2017 the used prices have been creeping upward. Not always the bargain they used to be. They are still cheap because they had a relatively low asking price when new but I have a hard time paying more for a used Carvin than what they sold for new. But I don't know if they are getting what they are asking though.

I have had a Carvin Belair since 2006 and I know it receives mixed reviews but for what I do it has kept my Fenders and a Vox AC30 in storage out in my garage for years. Not every guitar and pedal I have works well with it but I have one particular strat and a couple Boss pedals that are like magic together with it.

GearGeek01

Tele-Holic
There was a lot of hype when the Marshall Origin series came out. I plugged in and to me it was a way too much trebly ice pick of an amp... blah...

Go find a Peavey Bandit 65 from the early 80s. A year or so I gave $100 for one, and it's clean as clean can be, loud as hell and/or quiet as you need it to be, takes pedals very well, and the "saturation" (solid state overdrive) isn't half bad, but I use it clean with pedals. They are somewhat on the heavy side of around 40-ish pounds, but not too back breaking.

1x12" 65 watt combo. Made in the USA.

They're more on Reverb, but I found this Bargain Baby on my local Facebook Marketplace.

Peavey Bandit 65 - 01.jpg

Peavey Bandit 65 - 01 - front panel.jpg

tfarny

Poster Extraordinaire
The premise of this, or maybe just the title, I don't get it. As an investment, the best used tube amp to buy is none at all, for sure. If you think the Origin 50 is going to become a rare collector's item in 20 years - well, good luck. I'm not stock picker but I imagine there is a tech or energy sector company out there that is a better investment. I can't for the life of me see why I would buy an amp because it's "undervalued" - maybe it's a good deal and I've always wanted it, or it meets my current needs, but those are the only two reasons I can see to buying any amp.

beyer160

Poster Extraordinaire
The premise of this, or maybe just the title, I don't get it. As an investment, the best used tube amp to buy is none at all, for sure.
I didn't take it as being about "investment" value, but "bang per buck". Traynors used to be the king of this when you could get the '70s tube heads for $100, but that time is long gone. A YBA-1 is never going to be worth big bucks compared to a Fender or Marshall from the same era, but if you were looking for a killer amp for short money, those fit the bill nicely. Even though they're more expensive now, they're still a great buy for what you get. I'd take one over a similarly priced modern PCB Marshall any day... and in fact, I have.

68goldtop

Tele-Meister
Hi!
The premise of this, or maybe just the title, I don't get it... the best used tube amp to buy is none at all, for sure. ...
I´ve been a musician, musical-instruments-geek, amp-fan/collector etc. for the last 25 years (or so) and every amp/instrument I had during this time has been a good "investment" (incl. used tube-amps).
Some of them I used for long periods of time (or still use them), some of them I flipped rather fast.
I had fun using the items, made music with them, I gathered experience, and I made money on every single item I sold (with rare exceptions).
Many of the items I kept - I see their value appreciating from year to year.

Just saying that my experience doesn't quite match with what you stated as "sure" ;)

cheers - 68.

Last edited:

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Remains UL Twins....remain dirt cheap and killer amps once you add a bias pot.