Undervalued Amps to Buy Now

SanoTele

TDPRI Member
What amps are available for a bargain on the used market right now? Cult followings and word of mouth on the internet have caused the second hand prices of many amps to increase. With the uncertainty regarding tubes and (hopefully not) tube amps, I believe they're all set to become less common and more costly. Here are some which I believe make great investments:

Budda Superdrive 45 (not uncommon to find in $600-800 range)

A high-end amp US made amp for the cost of a midrange one. The quality of the tone just can't be matched at this price range, IMO. I think it's as much of a well-kept secret as any amp out there. Emulating the "brown sound" has been lucrative business for many, and once the word gets out that this has it in spades, and sounds amazing in general, they should become much harder/more expensive to find

Marshall Origin ($400ish for 50 watt)

Marshall releasing affordable amps is not new. Marshall releasing an affordable amp worthy of its badge is new and quite shocking. They are so easy to find and so cheap that it's hard to pass up if you're looking for the Marshall sound to add to your collection. I think people have been burnt by cheap Marshall offerings before, which is reflected in the low resale value

What are some other bargains?
Used Sano amps (of course). Another lessor known gem: The Alamo Fury. A "bass" amp that sounds far better as a guitar amp.

NikkiM

TDPRI Member
I've got a few Fender amps in different flavors..
I always keep an eye out for good condition ones..
especially at 2am on Reverb..
lately I've aquired a few British amps..
out of production..
got that tone..
I'm not gonna tell you guys which make and models..
because..
then the prices will go up..lol..

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I've got a few Fender amps in different flavors..
I always keep an eye out for good condition ones..
especially at 2am on Reverb..
lately I've aquired a few British amps..
out of production..
got that tone..
I'm not gonna tell you guys which make and models..
because..
then the prices will go up..lol..
I do prefer brutish, uh, British amps.
And it does tick me off when the prices go up above what my car is worth...

3188A0DF-923E-42A1-8A00-F25379107D92.jpeg

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Without much risk of driving prices up due to market myopia, I'd say Dr Z amps are a good option for less expensive top tier pro gear.
Mostly because there are tens of thousands in seemingly hundreds of models and all ages, while they really dont die when they get old.

1D0712E0-AD5D-4329-8EB7-4E566725C51D.jpeg

beyer160

Poster Extraordinaire
Without much risk of driving prices up due to market myopia, I'd say Dr Z amps are a good option for less expensive top tier pro gear.
Mostly because there are tens of thousands in seemingly hundreds of models and all ages, while they really dont die when they get old.

View attachment 988019
I used to have a sort of reverse snobbery against Dr Z because of their popularity with the Gear Polisher crowd. Then I ran across a MAZ 18 and gave it a spin to see what the fuss was about... I get it now. Great stuff, and there are always used ones around.

Doc Smotpoker

TDPRI Member
Monoprice tube amps!
Yeah, those are making a name for themselves. I’ve already got a 5w Bugera V5 Infinium as a tube amp, but I’ve been considering getting the 15w SR by Monoprice. They are out of stock at Monoprice, but you can find it on Amazon.

985plowboy

Poster Extraordinaire
Anything from the Tonemaster series obviously because they are so hot right now and, as an example, I bought a Mustang lllV2 back when they were so hot and now it’s probably worth at least……oh wait.

Never mind.

Willie Johnson

Friend of Leo's
Fender Super 60, two channels, good value. Usually overlooked and under rated.
Missed on one going for $250; went home to sleep on it and it was gone. Ungodly loud and nice clean and edge of breakup sounds when I messed around with it. Lots of lower gain tube swaps and simple tone circuit mods available on that one too.

Twang-ineer

Tele-Meister
If a bargain is defined as Value...... any Peavey amp. I just got a dead mint 2x12 Peavey Transformer for $200. The analog modeling works really well. The built in effects are just plain bad.... but the stereo loop makes up for any deficiencies. I do however doubt that it will aver go up in value.

zhyla

Tele-Meister
Anything from the Tonemaster series obviously because they are so hot right now and, as an example, I bought a Mustang lllV2 back when they were so hot and now it’s probably worth at least……oh wait.

Never mind.
Modeling continues to get better. Eventually it will plateau and those modeling amps will be valuable.

Tim S

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
I have to wonder if the Vox MV50 NuTube/Class D powered micro heads will be collectibles some day. Now that they’ve come out with pedals that have the NuTube preamp and 3 knob tone stacks, it’s possible the MV50s’ days are numbered? (If so, I look forward to completing my collection at close out prices)

Chicago Slim

Tele-Afflicted
My favorite tube amps were always less popular on the forums. I had a 2012 Vox TB18C1, designed by Tony Bruno, using 6V6's. It has a great Tweed sound. Last year I traded it at a guitar shop and got $600 for it. Five months later I bought it back for $480.

100_2089.JPG

The reson that I sold the Vox, was that I bought a Bad Cat Cougar 15, under $500. I love the amp.

badcatcougar15.jpg