Undervalued Amps to Buy Now

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
Carvin tube amps. Built like tanks and they sound fantastic. They're not a "name" like Fender, Marshall, vox, etc., so they can be had 2nd hand for peanuts.

Another good one is Peavey. The Classic 20 1x10 combo, to be specific. It's a killer little amp.

Si G X

Friend of Leo's
I’ve never seen prices on those even remotely close to this.

Then you aren't looking on UK ebay sold listings. 🙂

DSL401 - Listed for £235 (Best offer accepted)
DSL401 - Listed for £215 (Best offer accepted)
TSL602 - Auction finished £155 (torn grill cloth)
TSL100 head and 1960A - Auction finished £369
TSL60 Head - £132 (gig worn but working)
DSL100 Head - £250
DSL201 - £250 (sold buy it now)
TSL601 - £225 Auction finished with 15 bids
TSL60 Head - £300 (special edition Blue tolex and bluesbreaker cloth)

... I know because it's what I use and why I use them! As we say over here 'two a penny'

I've never seen Fender amps for anywhere near the prices you see them in the US, it's just the way it isn't it?

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member

DSL100 Head - £250

... I know because it's what I use and why I use them! As we say over here 'two a penny'

I've never seen Fender amps for anywhere near the prices you see them in the US, it's just the way it isn't it?
Well at least I now know that if I ever end up living in the UK, I’ll have endless supply of great sounding cheap amps.

patriotplayer90

TDPRI Member
In times of inflation, it’s foolish to buy what you don’t need. You do not get real value from your purchase and you keep prices high for everyone else. The amp to buy is one you need. Period. There’s no amp to buy just to have it.

DSL100 Head - £250

Are you sure about the DSL 100? The lower wattage JCM 2000s can be had for cheap, but the 100 watt head seems to go for $750+ in the US

Si G X

Friend of Leo's
Are you sure about the DSL 100? The lower wattage JCM 2000s can be had for cheap, but the 100 watt head seems to go for $750+ in the US

100% sure mate, it's a combination of nobody really wanting them and hundreds for sale.

JCM900's around £450 - £550.

JCM800's around £600 - £800

Don't get me wrong, these are 'local pickup' and 'auction' prices, not what someone might ask for on reverb or whatever, just what's possible if you shop smart.

Don't know if you can see this?

That's an original 1980's JCM800 50w head, pickup in Brighton... went for £570

That's why JCM2000's go for what they do, they are nowhere near as desirable and way more common.

Si G X

Friend of Leo's
here you go @patriotplayer90 100w JCM2000 head, perfect working order. collect from London, a single bid, sold £250

That's the same price as a new 50w Boss Katana II for comparison.

Last edited:

uriah1

Telefied
Gold Supporter
Carvin tube amps. Built like tanks and they sound fantastic. They're not a "name" like Fender, Marshall, vox, etc., so they can be had 2nd hand for peanuts.

Another good one is Peavey. The Classic 20 1x10 combo, to be specific. It's a killer little amp.
Never see them much on this side of the Mississippi. Cali thing.

ClashCityTele

Friend of Leo's
I’ve never seen prices on those even remotely close to this.
There's a JCM2000 DSL100 on eBay UK for £350.
And the same in an auction that is only up to £125 with 2 days to go.
There's also a JCM2000 DSL401 combo for £175.
Of course, these are UK amps in the UK. Everyone & their granny has a Marshall.

Si G X

Friend of Leo's
There's a JCM2000 DSL100 on eBay UK for £350.
And the same in an auction that is only up to £125 with 2 days to go.
There's also a JCM2000 DSL401 combo for £175.
Of course, these are UK amps in the UK. Everyone & their granny has a Marshall.

There was a JTM60 1x12 for sale local to me for £100, I know they aren't the most desirable amps to say the least but I was tempted just to buy it just because..... it's a Marshall Valve amp for £100.

I kind of wish I had now, but the band isn't doing anything and I didn't need it.

ClashCityTele

Friend of Leo's
There was a JTM60 1x12 for sale local to me for £100, I know they aren't the most desirable amps to say the least but I was tempted just to buy it just because..... it's a Marshall Valve amp for £100.

I kind of wish I had now, but the band isn't doing anything and I didn't need it.
My friend Gary said his girlfriend was at her brothers house once. She called Gary & said her brother had an old unwanted Marshall amp in the garage. Gary said how much; she said £50; he said buy it.
He didn't even find out what it was until she got it home. All I can remember it was 100W.

ruger9

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member
IDK what they are selling for, so IDK about the "bargain" part of the question, but undervalued? The Fender Super-Sonics. Stellar amps, one of the best amps Fender has ever made (no I'm not joking), goes from Princeton/Deluxe clean to Marshall to Mesa Boogie, and everything in-between.

kuch

Tele-Meister
I have a BFVC I bought about 16 years ago for $125.00 delivered to me at work. It was the most I ever paid for one, it seemed like they had always been about $50.00 forever. Then I got home and see they were on the bay for about $750.00 then. Also the Vibro Champs always seemed to be in mint condition with a slick sales brochure and schematic in the back. Mine has no extra drive when you crank it and I really haven't had time to figure it out, I have many small amplifiers to choose from. It sounds dull and lifeless, nice vibrato though.

Hey TD,
Have you tried replacing the tubes? My SFVC sounded good before, but I replace the tubes several months ago and it sounds even better. Another thing would be to have the bias adjusted.
My vc has almost a shimmery 3D sound when played clean with a little tremolo, and has a nice "crunch" when turned up past 4 1/2 or so...
A lot of VC's for sale in the last 10-20 years were in such mint condition because a lot of them just sat in the back of people's closets. I never even thought of having a VC in the past because it was just a
"practice" amp, not something a "real" guitar player would use.....
Good luck with getting your's set up. I'm sure there would be a lot of callers if you wanted to sell it.
:)

kuch

Tele-Meister
You can still get lots of great used amps for >$1000. I've been seeing loads of Twins, Pro Reverbs, Deluxe Reverbs Even Super Reverbs for that kinda money.

Hey CC,
Yeah some of the "larger" amps are available for reasonable prices. My theory is that a larger percentage of people out there are looking for gear suited for home use, small venues, or are performers who use PA systems.

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Every old Laney tube amp is a great deal.
It's such an underrated brand... until now!
Reported!
You will be banned!

True though, many cheap Laney amps are even made in England and just not that hip today.

markal

Tele-Afflicted
Every old Laney tube amp is a great deal.
It's such an underrated brand... until now!
I have a Lionheart L5t. Not old, made in China, but an absolutely killer amp. You can usually find them for around $600 (that’s what I paid). And it’s LOUD five watts. It can hang easily with a tame drummer.