Undervalued Amps to Buy Now

patriotplayer90

TDPRI Member
What amps are available for a bargain on the used market right now? Cult followings and word of mouth on the internet have caused the second hand prices of many amps to increase. With the uncertainty regarding tubes and (hopefully not) tube amps, I believe they're all set to become less common and more costly. Here are some which I believe make great investments:

Budda Superdrive 45 (not uncommon to find in $600-800 range)

A high-end amp US made amp for the cost of a midrange one. The quality of the tone just can't be matched at this price range, IMO. I think it's as much of a well-kept secret as any amp out there. Emulating the "brown sound" has been lucrative business for many, and once the word gets out that this has it in spades, and sounds amazing in general, they should become much harder/more expensive to find

Marshall Origin ($400ish for 50 watt)

Marshall releasing affordable amps is not new. Marshall releasing an affordable amp worthy of its badge is new and quite shocking. They are so easy to find and so cheap that it's hard to pass up if you're looking for the Marshall sound to add to your collection. I think people have been burnt by cheap Marshall offerings before, which is reflected in the low resale value

What are some other bargains?

Last edited:

northernguitar

Poster Extraordinaire
I bought a used VOX Night Train 15h G2 amp in 2020 for CDN$400. The crunch channel is a little modern sounding on its own; nothing I cant remedy with an OD or fuzz pedal. The clean channel sounds warm and chimey. Mine was like new, and came with a backup set of Shuguang power tubes.

kuch

Tele-Meister
Whoa. Picked one up 5 yrs ago for 250

I feel you....

Long story, but about 10 years ago while trading some gear I noticed that the guy I was trading with had a mid 70's VC in the corner. I asked him what he wanted for it and he threw it in for free. The funny part is that the guitar he was trading was worth a bit more than the amp he was getting. Score! It sat in the corner of my music room for quite a while and I finally started firing it up regularly about 5 years ago and it's become my fav along with my PRRI.
Hang on to the one you have if you like it. Or if you don't now's the time to make a killing on selling it.

;)
Catalinbread Topanga Burnside.jpg

Back at it

Tele-Meister
If you’re into Marshall/vox cornfords built in the uk are a bargain if you can find them.. super versatile low watt amps W 12 a loop and reverb,

hey also made some killer Marshall vox clones plus a Guthrie govan sig line

company is gone but the designer is doing victory amps

boutique features for reasonable $$ if you can find them

Maguchi

Friend of Leo's
Monoprice tube amps!

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
VHT D-50
Fender Champ XD
Fender Pawn Shop Excelsior
Marshall DSL40CR
Vox AC15c1

All of these amps are steady rising in price, as far as I can tell. Then again, everything seems to be so... maybe this is the reason? Dunno. Still... these are all great amps IMO and if you can land any of em for a deal, go for it I say ;)