1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Understanding UV Lamp or Black Light, NEW VIDEO!

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by Bobchill, Apr 11, 2020.

1. Bobchill

Bobchill TDPRI Member

In the last years the risk of fraud has dramatically risen... and forgeries are not the only threat when buying a vintage or used guitar.
    Some seller, whether in good conscience or not, might fail to disclose that the instrument suffered breaks, had repairs, modifications and restorations, has non-original parts or might have been entirely or in part refinished.
    All these issues are not necessarily deal breakers but all of them definitely affect the market value or selling price of the instrument. In every case that is something that every buyer would be interested to know before closing a transaction.
    Luckily when buying an used guitar, we can count on a precious partner: the black light.
    A few questions could arise: “Is there any particular recommended model or type?” “How is it used?” “What do I have to look for?” “What can the UV lamp actually reveal or prove?”
    Let’s shed some light on the black light! : )

2. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

...so many more vintage guitars, in recent years...
    LOL

a blacklight could reveal the repair history on a couple of my older guitars - do I wanna know?

Peace - Deeve

Bobchill likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.