1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Understanding Iron Man

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by edvard, Apr 14, 2021.

1. edvard

edvard Friend of Leo's

And today in mind=blown, we see the complex musical stuff going on in the Black Sabbath song "Iron Man" that were probably not done on purpose, but are there nonetheless, describing how the song "works". That simplistic riff that is every budding Rock guitarists 1st or 2nd riff ever (the other is "Smoke On The Water", but you already knew that) is actually a pretty minor (pardon the pun) part of the entire song.
    Fascinating.

Check out his other videos, they are a veritable rabbit hole, so strap in...

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
    PhredE, Matthias, Blue Bill and 6 others like this.
  2. Tele-friend

Tele-friend Tele-Meister

It is a really amazing song. When my daughter was almost 3 years old, we were headbanging together to it :cool: It is still her favourite rock song.

john_cribbin, swervinbob and edvard like this.
  3. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

When I started playing, my friends would sometimes show me how to play certain riffs. Iron Man and Smoke on the Water were among them, but I've always found those songs annoying.

They also showed me Sunshine of Your Love and Purple Haze, I liked those. A Forest by the Cure was another.

I don't remember if they showed me Cat Scratch Fever, but I found that one annoying as well and it was common to hear it in guitar shops.

edvard and Tele-friend like this.
  4. trouserpress

trouserpress Tele-Holic

So what's your diagnosis?;)

5. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Geezer and Tony are fans of jazz and blues. Certainly Geezer, and I think Tony too, know their way around populist classics. Geezer has cited Bach, Beethoven, Holst and Wagner (!) as influences. If you listen to a genre, it'll influence your playing, even if you're not conscious of it. Bill idolised jazz drummers, and you can hear it.

edvard and trouserpress like this.
  6. yegbert

yegbert Poster Extraordinaire

I have all my life had hooks and memorable snippets of songs getting stuck in my head. I remember music easily. I theorize that’s partly why music has felt natural, like an integral part of my life, and why I have been able to learn it and pick out the chords in songs somewhat more easily than some. I can hardly hear a song without thinking about the musical relationships, chords, and progressions. When I was a little boy I would walk and hear a rhythm in my steps, and would jump and stomp my feet to try to shake it loose. And as a teenager I realized I got bored quickly listening to any format/formula of popular music a radio station plays. Discovering FM radio stations was a godsend, especially ones whose DJs played lesser known album cuts, bucking managers and advertisers requests for following their suggested formats. I remember one of those DJs from a Myrtle Beach FM station (only one my tabletop clock radio would get) that was supposedly threatened to be fired if he didn’t play more of the pop they thought would attract the general public better! And I soon developed a love for collecting music albums so I could play my own music - and still do. I’ll play selections I like from my huge iTunes library over streaming stations any day! Some Sirius XM was okay for th e little time I spent in Five Guys, before the recent “unpleasantness”.

Those riffs that us guitarists loved to play in trying out guitars in stores like guitar centers? We liked them because they are memorable, and similarly got tired of them for the same reason.

I play and extrapolate snippets and advertisement jingles now! (But not those moldy oldies!)

Do others of you have similar feelings about music and your knack for playing?

Another intolerable one boomers may (!) remember that we tired of hearing played was Stairway to Heaven. More recently but I guess an oldie now I heard a guy playing in a GC, was RHCP’s Under the Bridge. What is playing most recently in guitarists riffs at music stores?

thunderbyrd and edvard like this.
  7. klasaine

klasaine Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

This kind of underscores a point that those of us that are under 70 years old tend to forget ...
    When these guys were kids (the original rockers and the 'classic' rockers), there was no "Rock & Roll" yet. Your music listening choices were classical, jazz, ethnic, folk and maybe if it was available to you - blues and "race music".
    Both Sabbath and Zeppelin have a 'swing' in their rock. I always liked that.

PhredE, Mad Kiwi, edvard and 5 others like this.
  8. _MementoMori_

_MementoMori_ Tele-Afflicted

A certain jazz guitarist with a disfigured fretting hand is the whole reason any of us can sit here today and talk about a band called Black Sabbath.

hepular, PhredE, edvard and 3 others like this.
  9. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

i listened to the whole video and all i can say is this proves Tony Iommi, Geezer Butler and Bill Ward were every bit the musical geniuses i thought they were when i was 13 years old.

PhredE, klasaine, edvard and 2 others like this.
  10. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

You can’t understand Iron Man.
    Nobody wants him. He just stares at the world.

11. duzie

duzie Tele-Holic

I’m confused :eek:

12. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

damn right.

edvard and Killing Floor like this.
  13. trouserpress

trouserpress Tele-Holic

THAT'S IT !
    We should have cared.

14. hepular

hepular Tele-Holic

you forget dancehall/tin pan alley/broadway/hollywood: which really isn't jazz not to mention gospel: apparently even Robert Johnson liked him a good tin pan alley tune

klasaine likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.