Gold Supporter
Carolina's (pick one - that's where I'll be) USA
PXL_20210723_203325793.jpg
PXL_20210723_171039842.jpg
PXL_20210722_233830965.jpg
G&L

tfarny

Poster Extraordinaire
I feel like this thread is just name checking all of the smaller "value" brands. Are there any brands with an actual bad reputation other than the normal hate that Gibson and PRS get around here? Who is making truly shoddy guitars these days?

The real problem with "blowing up" in this marketplace is there are dozens and dozens of great guitar makers to choose from already. One more doesn't necessarily fill a hole, it just adds to the pile.

mrblanche

TDPRI Member
Yamaha electrics.

I have a friend who worked in a guitar store for quite a while, and he said the same thing.

If we're talking electrics, I would suggest Alvarez. The problem, I suppose, is that they never stay in the electric biz for very long. The ASG4 could be the Telecaster Fender should make.

Last edited:

brashboy

Tele-Meister
Not much different from FMIC and all the brands they own.
I feel the cheapest of the D’Angelico guitars are consistently several cuts above their peers on the low racks of import guitars.

And the top of the brands there tiers is AFAIK small shop hand made by actual luthiers, so again, two cuts above most of that peer group.

I get the being cranky over a luthiers name being used by somebody else, but I mean in the 21st Century that attitude will make you cranky too damn often for a short life!

They are most certainly not “the same common....” as Epiphone and Gretsch sells as 335 and 6120 etc.
Better necks & fretwork, just much better guitars IMO after playing them for months with cash in pocket.

Never been able to bond with the new mass-produced D'angelicos, and i've played maybe a dozen. When I started playing in the 60s, John d'Angelico was still building, his guitars legendary. That headstock looked cool on the New Yorker and other huge guitars John built but to me look silly on 335-size or smaller guitars - - that's not a knock, just a taste thing. They feel really headstock-heavy to me. I would agree many D'A models are a step up from the Epi and Gretsch, but not really the ones in the same price range. The D'A 335-style for $1200 is better than a $600 Epi but damn well should be.

I hate the business practice of resurrecting old names for a different product. And let's face it: the modern machine-made guitars are totally different from the ones JD made by hand, though all are guitars.

It happens all the time, though. The most egregious example is the guys who formed Indian Motorcycles in the 1990s, bought the Indian name and started making "Indians" again - arrogantly claiming their [brand new] company was 100 years old b/c the original Indian company was formed in the 1890s, even though the original Indian company tanked in the 1950s, and even though the new Indian had no connection whatever with the old Indian except the name and art, nor did the new motorcycles.

I'm not offended by it, and I perfectly understand it is legal -- I just think it is scummy.

brashboy

Tele-Meister
I'm comfused about this post is this a legitimate post or is this spam ? I honestly can't tell, it seems like there's some self promotion and and add for a guitar company by a representative .
I don't care happen if yes, or if no, I just don't unnerstan'?
I don't get what you don't get.

Krenal reviewed a guitar for the builder and liked it so much he bought it instead of mailing it back. He was perfectly straightforward about it. He doesn't even use affiliate links and is not peddling lessons and such. Doesn't remotely look like a commercial or spam post to me. You could've figured all this out in moments, in less time than it took to make your post...

ping-ping-clicka

Poster Extraordinaire
I don't get what you don't get.

Krenal reviewed a guitar for the builder and liked it so much he bought it instead of mailing it back. He was perfectly straightforward about it. He doesn't even use affiliate links and is not peddling lessons and such. Doesn't remotely look like a commercial or spam post to me. You could've figured all this out in moments, in less time than it took to make your post...

Thank you for sharing your opinion. What is clear to one is not always clear to all,
the truth of the matter , so very holy grail glowing just of reach, calling to our delirium

zzzzzzzzz OddBodkins_Dan ONeill.jpg

Last edited:

GearGeek01

Tele-Meister
Most of their guitars on their website are acoustics. I don't even own an acoustic and have no desire to buy one of any brand... so there's that... times however many other guitar players feel the same way.

And there are no solid body options in their one electric guitar line (Crossroad). Again, they have focused on only a small niche of all guitar models, and I wouldn't be surprised if they blow out of business soon.

Between only acoustics, and then only hollow or semi-hollow choices, they have spent their time and money on probably the smallest niche of all guitars possible.

POOF they will be gone soon...

GearGeek01

Tele-Meister
I agree with poster #101... G&L... between having the only living REAL Leo Fender mojo left on Earth... they make IMHO the best production guitars barre none. Dial up their dealer(s), tell them exactly what you want, and they will build it to order... "have it your way"... minus the Fender custom shop price tag... or if you want something super fancy... they have a custom shop now, too.

Much more finer and reliable quality wise than Gibson or Fender these days... USA models with as good as or better quality than USA PRS models, for 1/4 the price.

The Leo Was There era G&L's (post him dying in 1991) will be the collector vintage guitars of the future...

I personally can't understand the "vintage" pricing on 1970s Fender these days. Fender made the WORST quality guitars of their history in the 1970s. Whoring out the name under the CBS management. Even the simplest G&L Tribute model is way better quality wise than any 1970s Fender...

Yes, truly under-rated... but I love finding them used in mint condition for an incredible deal because people don't know how awesome they are.

Put 3 guitars on guitar stands and tell me I can pick one...

Fender anything/custom shop Strat
PRS Silver Sky over-priced Strat copy
G&L Legacy (in any finish but pink, LOL)

I'll choose the Legacy every time...

teleforumnoob

Friend of Leo's
Cant comment on the new ones, but my old 83' Carvin can pretty much handle any genre. Just a solid well made guitar. I've had it 37 years(If my math is correct) and I've never had to touch the truss rod. Its all hard rock maple and really bright for a HB guitar, but hey, that's what a tone control is for.
IMG_0286.jpeg

GearGeek01

Tele-Meister
Maybe I am preaching to the choir... but I have several of the Epiphone "Inspired by Gibson" (IBG) models and I think if the world ever catches on, Gibson might go out of business (haha)... My latest buy is a brand new Epiphone (IBG) Les Paul Modern Figured. The fit and finish are perfect, and with all the push pulls (2-volumes, coil split, neck-tone, out of phase) it has 12 possible tones.

I also have the new Epi (IBG) 1959 Les Paul Standard (Gibson USA pickups) and unbelievable quality... their IBG Firebird, spotless quality, their IBG ES-339... also awesome...

All of these are "Made in China"... all I have to say to that is... the same place they invented Shoalin Kung Fu...

My new Epi LP Mod/Fig tipped my wallet for $699.00 the Gibson Les Paul Modern (not figured) doesn't have the out-of-phase switching, doesn't come with a flame top, and costs $2,799.00. I just want to play the guitar, not brag about all the money I stupidly spent for the Gibson logo and less features.

I think Epiphones were at best "OK" prior to the new Gibson/Epiphone management changes... but there were often times things lacking to make them sparkle. (AFAIK) all the IBG models have CTS pots, something that would have been the first thing to change on a previous Epi model. Changing out the pots IMHO gives the ProBucker and Alnico Classic Epi pickups more air to breathe.

I am disabled, living on a very puny less than $800/mo from social security disability, even on a 90-day layaway Gibson has pretty much out-priced me from their brand name. And if it was a choice between a USA Gibson Studio-something and one of the IBG Epiphones, it would be a no-brainer for me. Epiphone IBG all the way.

I don't know if the "Inspired by Gibson" line of Epiphones has been out long enough to claim much of any acclaim, but considering thus, I would say they are currently one of the most under-rated as yet guitars out there...

Here is my brand new Epiphone Les Paul Modern Figured (well, the exact model from a random online picture) The finish is called caffe latte fade... and it is as beautiful in person as in this online picture...

front.jpg

Last edited:

PlainAllman

Tele-Afflicted
I don’t know if they’re still in business anymore but the original early B.C. Rich’s were probably some of the most innovative and well made guitars of the 1970’s. Even after a long slump for the company through the 80’s and 90’s they sort of got it back together for awhile. I had a really great Korean made Mockingbird from around 2003. It didn’t have the head spinning array of tonal options they had in the early days but was still a fantastic instrument for a very reasonable price.

Last edited: