schmee

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I think Zelinsky guitars in general fly under the radar. I had one of these Barschetta's and it was superbly built and played wonderful. They seem to have gone way up in price since then. Remember: If I sell something, prices will shoot up!

I'd like to try one of his "Tele" types but last thing I need is another guitar....

Zoot Zoot

TDPRI Member
TOKAI

They gained a poor reputation from the vast number of budget Les Paul copies they churned out in 70s which weren't that great (the name "Love Rock" on the headstock in a font that made it look like Les Paul from a distance was an hilarious touch) but they are no longer the same same company and now make very high quality guitars. Side-by-side comparison of one of their modern Les Pauls next to a Gibson will show that they win hands down and prove that (in the age of high tech manufacturing and quality control that can be scrutinised by the world in an instant) certain brands are best sellers only because of their name.
I don't actually own one as I love my old Gibson that I've had for many years, but if it were to disappear and I had to buy a replacement, I would be really spoilt for choice by the quality available from so many other makes.

bugtussle

TDPRI Member
Simon and Patrick, a Godin brand, makes very fine acoustic guitars. The brand is almost unheard of in the states. In fact, I’d never heard of the brand until I took what I now know as a Showcase Rosewood down from the wall in a little mom and pop in Claremont, CA and couldn’t put it back. Just an amazing guitar. An Adirondack spruce top over solid rosewood. Set up my way for easy finger picking, it’s just about perfect.
View attachment 879775

You must be talking about the Folk Music Center in Claremont. Its a very cool shop that's owned by Ben Harper, his grandparents opened it in 1958. https://www.folkmusiccenter.com/history

BlueGillGreg

Tele-Meister
Hey guys!

I hope you're all doing awesome!

I wanted to share a video that I just made and I also wanted to open up a discussion about underrated guitar/gear brands.

Lately, I've been playing guitars from this company called Stanford Guitars. They're a sister brand to the Maybach company and they make really solid instruments!

Not sure why this brand is not blowing up!

What's a brand that you like but feel they're highly underrated?

Here's the link to my video, cheers guys! :

Hey guys!

I wanted to share a video that I just made and I also wanted to open up a discussion about underrated guitar/gear brands.

Lately, I've been playing guitars from this company called Stanford Guitars. They're a sister brand to the Maybach company and they make really solid instruments!

I don't have wide experience with any of these 3 East Asian brands, but these 3 guitars are all solid.

The Cort "Joe Beck" hollow body has great bass and dynamic response. I played it a lot at work accompanying large student choral and string orchestras that benefited from more low end. Chords and melody on the middle strings and high strings stay articulate. Made in Korea.

The Yamaha RGZ 312 is made in Taiwan.

I call the Agile AL 2000 my Less Paul. Photos don't do the gold top justice. It often just shows as a blob of light. The ceramic P-90s make P-90 grind "Extra-Grindy." Korean.

In moderate or quiet settings the Peavey T-40 needs more dialing in than a Fender Precision, but when electric music gets loud or even louder, or especially loudest, it's a Monster. Made in Mississippi.

Attachments

• 30E608DB-DDFF-4098-836F-FD0C54180900.jpeg
    30E608DB-DDFF-4098-836F-FD0C54180900.jpeg
    212.1 KB · Views: 29
  • 4E6C1F6D-EED4-4484-AB86-007C872EEC77.jpeg
    4E6C1F6D-EED4-4484-AB86-007C872EEC77.jpeg
    224.9 KB · Views: 31
  • BC87112C-6A39-47AC-85E0-A0B1B9F057FD.jpeg
    BC87112C-6A39-47AC-85E0-A0B1B9F057FD.jpeg
    211.8 KB · Views: 36
  • 2D7CC2EE-78F0-46A1-A780-5799B973A9A8.jpeg
    2D7CC2EE-78F0-46A1-A780-5799B973A9A8.jpeg
    233.6 KB · Views: 31

brashboy

Tele-Meister
hey buddy, that is definitely not my goal. I ain't no guitar salesman. I'm a student, work a part-time kitchen job and I am very passionate about guitars. The YouTube thing is my main musical outlet at the moment and it's all for the love of guitars! cheers!
I hope you are gigging professionally, you definitely could have a career.

Maguchi

Friend of Leo's
Hey guys!

Goggled 'em, they're imported and they look like good guitars. My choices would be Godin electrics and Art & Lutherie acoustics from Canada. I also own several Kiesels (formerly Carvin) and they are custom shop quality guitars at half the price.

Art & Lutherie parlor guitar
20190405_170815 (1).jpg

Kiesels
20181123_195619 (1).jpg
20210703_122001.jpg
20180703_182856.jpg

Last edited:

Kweber

TDPRI Member
Douglas. This is my Douglas "Grendel" model (got it from Rondo) a really great guitar, no problems right out of the box, plays great, sounds great, made in China! This 7-string holds it's own against all but the most expensive 7's out there. 10 yrs and going strong.
Also, my Yamaha bass. Semi destroyed but stays in tune and plays fine.

Attachments

• IMG_20210723_165556.jpg
    IMG_20210723_165556.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 17

HootOwlDude

TDPRI Member
My first “real-ish” guitar was an Oscar-Schmidt acoustic-electric cutaway that there was really nothing wrong with. I later had another Oscar Schmidt dreadnaught that someone gave me after they’d snapped off the headstock. I repaired it and it was a serviceable beater for years until I threw it down the stairs like a twenty-something moron. I also had a GFS t-style thinline with p-90s that I bought on a whim for like $120 bucks and pawned a couple years later. It was a very nice cheapo guitar and I regret letting it go. My current go-to acoustic is an Aria AP—STD N which is a great guitar. $180 on eBay probably eight or so years ago—with a solid cedar top and nice maple binding. Every time someone picks it up and fiddles with it they’re impressed. Sounds and looks great and does well with a $50 Bill Lawrence soundhole pickup. I record it that way all the time and it sounds awesome.

Den6string

TDPRI Member
Hey guys!

Dean Nashvegas, tele style guitar, every once in awhile you can find a discount, G&L Tribute series are great too

KrenarCilku

Tele-Meister
I hope you are gigging professionally, you definitely could have a career.
Thank you so much man, I sincerely appreciate that. Unfortunately, I am not gigging atm since I've recently moved to Austria but I'm definitely interested in pursuing a career in music. Again, your comment means a lot so thank you!

GAS Giant

Tele-Meister
Korean made Schecter basses...can't give em' away, but they play beautifully, sound huge, and have never needed major adjustment or repairs.

LTD by ESP...these also punch so far above their weight...amazing fret work, playability and finish for a $1k guitar. Bought on a whim and it has become my go to over a couple Gibson Custom shop guitars.
These are associated with the baseball hat on backwards crowd, but they are superb instruments that have remained in the lineup as more expensive guitars have come and gone.

Tagima basses are about $300 and some (not all) are absolutely killer...great pickups even...no mods necessary and necks straight all day. (Does not hold true for their acoustics, however)

A larger debate...G&Ls are just excellent, but still have some kind of consolation prize stigma around them and they run into a brick wall of Fender snobbery. I enjoy both brands, but have owned more G&L guitars than Fenders over the years. Better batting average.

Aria Pro II - over the years...
I have played an old Aria Jbass copy that was astounding. Great basses and guitars in the 80s. REcently played some new stuff...really great for the money.

Willie D

Friend of Leo's
I don't think anyone is underrating G&L's.

I think it also includes the good but not popular. Or overlooked. Or thought of as being inferior.
(Emphasis mine)

That's how I feel about G&L. I think the USA G&L guitars are highly rated but only by those "in the know." Here we all know they're great, but we don't see them in the hands of well-known performers often.

I've never played a Strat that I'd trade my USA Legacy for. Not slagging on Fender at all. I simply mean I'm very, very satisfied with the G&L.

Erik Thomas

Tele-Meister
I had a Daion Headhunter, 335 style with the characteristic "bite" out of the lower bout, flame maple sunburst finish and humbucker pickups. It was an excellent playing and sounding instrument. I ended up giving it to a family member who was, at the time, getting into playing. Daions were great guitars!

Daion / Yamaki made the early Washburn Wing Series Electric guitars which are excellent. They share the same hardware and pickups and some features with the Daions. I have several HB-35s from the early 1980s made by Yamaki which are excellent 335 style guitars. I will be listing one for sale, a 1982 HB-35 in the next couple of days on Reverb and Ebay because I need to thin out the heard but I am keeping 2 of them. Here is my flock...I dont have my Teles and Strats in this photo.View media item 47025