1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Underrated American sandwich

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Ribsspare, Jan 17, 2019.

1. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Awww nah, when you split them weenies and fry them they have a distinctly different taste than fried baloney, then Spam is an altogether different delight for the pallet. There is no bad among these heart healthy diet choices, only the difference in taste, all are equally tasty in their own right.

Zepfan likes this.
  2. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

In Pennsylvania we have scrapple. It’s basically what isn’t of a high enough quality to go in a hot dog, but it taste awesome with eggs for breakfast.

3. chauncy

chauncy Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I fry pickled bologna with swiss.

uriah1 and Nickadermis like this.
  4. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

Smoked beef balogna is highly edible. One can smoke it then slice off a good slab and sear it in a pan or on the griddle or grill it by the slice.

A good mustard is the right condiment to me, I like it on bologna better than barbecue sauce. But I have had it with slaw and barbecue sauce as well, and I did not leave any scraps behind.

5. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity

Nope.

boris bubbanov and Dan R like this.
  6. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I'd rather have a grilled Brat.

brookdalebill likes this.
  7. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

That right there just makes my mouth water plumb down to the top of my tennies.

8. Dan R

Dan R Poster Extraordinaire

OK, I have to break ranks here. I would be content if I never saw another piece of baloney in my life. Always hated that stuff, even as a kid. I'd eat it because Mom served it, but never liked it. There was a radio commercial for a local company where the guy would say, "I don't like baloney of any kind." Implying he could be trusted. I always loved that line.

I'll take a tuna melt any day.

Tell you what I did like was a livermush (like scrapple) sandwich with fried onions. I think livermush is mainly a NC thing. Can't find it in TN and pretty hard to find in SC. Neese's was the brand everybody got. They make sausage too, wrapped in wax paper. Beautiful.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
  9. Nickadermis

Nickadermis Friend of Leo's

That was my lunch today, and I had a sneaking suspicion that you were referring to this not so well known American Classic :)

tery likes this.
  10. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Growing up in Memphis,Tn we had Bologna, Hot Dogs, Spam, Chicken Salad, Tuna Salad and Ham Salad all the time. Any time Liver anything was served it got fed to the dog.:lol:

tery likes this.
  11. Finck

Finck Tele-Afflicted

Curiosity: are Bologna and Mortadella the same?

8barlouie likes this.
  12. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's

Better with mustard... I guess you have never tried ring bologna that has been smoked?

13. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

Quality beef bologna can be found, such as Boars Head. My favorite is Zeiglers. I was never a big fan of fried bologna, seemed like a kids idea, or desperate end-of-semester student food, till I had a sandwich in NOLA recently. Incredible. Some kind of local made hot sausage bologna.

BTW, I keep a "cracker size" stick of bologna, ~2.5" diameter, in the fridge at all times. Fav snack with cheese, and saltines.

14. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Mortadella is even better than baloney because it’s basically the same, only with big chunks of lard mixed in. Yum! You can also get the kind with pistachio mixed in.

chauncy and Finck like this.
  15. Redheadlvr

Redheadlvr Tele-Meister

Ring baloney fried,toasted bread with Duke's mayo (all other mayo is ****),and a fried egg either well done but over easy is better.
    Another great American sandwich is banana (sliced not mashed) with peanut butter or mayo,sometimes peanut butter on one side and mayo on the other side.

16. maxvintage

maxvintage Poster Extraordinaire

Philly bred here. Taylor pork roll indeed. It's probably got a months worth of sodium in it, but it makes a good sandwich

Jim622 likes this.
  17. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I always thought they went well with wiener water soup, the leftover from boiled wieners , MMMM savory grits

the heart attack special!

18. Finck

Finck Tele-Afflicted

Understood. So, here we call both Mortadella, but what you call "Bologna", here is called "bad Mortadella"... Fortunately, it appears that THE Mortadella ("the good version") is internationally known...

Here we have Mortadella with pistachios, olives and also black pepper seeds.

And I'm very happy now, because I have just discovered that my dinner will be... bread with Mortadella...

8barlouie likes this.
  19. OldPup

OldPup Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

That looks a lot like a typical Bavarian dish called Leberkaese. It's probably the exact same thing, just called something different stateside. Get you some German mustard if you can find it. If you find Senf you got the right stuff. Try it out. It won't piss you off.

20. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Roberts, I bet.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.