1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Underrated 80's Metal Guitarists

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by ElJay370, Sep 30, 2020.

1. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Afflicted

It wasn't all hairspray and eyeliner. Some of these dudes were killer players...

Glenn Tipton. - 100%. Pure. Metal.

Jake E. Lee. - Jake's lead playing was hot s**t, but I actually dig the rhythm part in this song more.

Matthias Jabs - Nice fills during the verses, and some wicked Marshall crunch.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
  2. Nahtabot

Nahtabot Tele-Meister

John Sykes, Solid player and vocalist.

3. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

C.C. Deville. He got slammed a lot at the time, but listen to the solo on "Nothing But a Good Time" (or any of their songs, really). It's perfect.

Mick Mars. Slammed also for being basic, but never hit a bad note and his double-tracked rhythm guitar on the first two albums was tight as a drum.

4. Toadtele

Toadtele Tele-Afflicted

Vito Bratta and me.

lupowitz, gregulator450 and rockhound like this.
  5. gregulator450

gregulator450 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Thank you for sharing Hellion/Electric Eye. This is seriously one of the best intro composition --> metal song intro's of all time. All freaking time.

I have to agree with all these, although the Jake E. Lee years of Ozzy are my least listened-to years (I came into music during the Zakk/ No More Tears-era). Jake's recent Red Dragon Cartel has some awesome guitar work in it.

I may be off the topic a bit here, but I really like the guitar playing in Cinderella's and Great White's songs. Then again, they were emulating the Stones and Zeppelin more than pushing the 80's shred-envelope, I think.

In the last 6 or 7 years I have discovered the guitar force that is George Lynch. I was never much of a Dokken fan, but Lynch Mob's "Wicked Sensation" may be the best 80's hair metal record ever made. Solos were awesome, riffs were super hooky, and there was no talent or effort wasted on filler in that album. Every lick, every riff, every song slays.

I'd better limit it to this. I absolutely love the 80's metal and could talk about 80's metal guitarists and songs all day long and into the night.

lewis and ElJay370 like this.
  6. xtelesquirex

xtelesquirex Tele-Holic

Reb Beach

7. Loambiker76

Loambiker76 TDPRI Member

I get the OP premise but I wouldn't call any of those you mention "underrated": they are all pretty lauded in the rock and metal scene.

I'd probably venture Chris DeGarmo and Michael Wilton from Queensryche: they tend to get overshadowed by Tate's vocals but their playing and compositions were sublime.

No one seems to mention them these days, probably because DeGarmo isn't really playing much any more and the mess that Queensryche became.

8. buster poser

buster poser Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Agree on all three of these. Respect to K.K. Downing and Rudy Schenker on the ends... Jake in the middle... spent tons of time learning the title track's lead riff when it came out. Saw JP twice live. Glenn & KK never missed a note.

Man, I thought he was a chump when I was a kid and man was I super wrong. The Crue were terrible after two albums (for me), but that guy was a monster player. Wife and I played 'Looks that Kill' the other night... god that bridge with the sus chords. Tough.

My nominations: Dave Murray & Adrian Smith. I have bands I love more than Maiden... but this is probably my favorite metal song ever. Covers all the bases... ballad-y part, twin guitar part, fast part, production is utterly without flaw.

9. Engine Swap

Engine Swap Tele-Afflicted

Grant Estes

edvard and Festofish like this.
  10. Macrogats

Macrogats Friend of Leo's

I’ll give a vote for Adrian Smith from Ironmaiden. Whilst all the Hair Metal And shredder guys were being lauded everywhere, IM had their own style, and Smith provided some of their best music, not to mention a plethora of tasteful solos. Dave Murray was closer to the speed/shred thing, but Adrian had more feeling imo.

Here’s one of his best efforts from their second album - his first - and always been one of my favourites. You can hear the change when Dave Murray comes in. They never played this song live as it was a little different for them at the time, but still essentially Maiden.

Skip to 3 minute mark if you don’t wanna hear the whole song.

Nahtabot and 3-Chord-Genius like this.
  11. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Afflicted

I guess when I say "underrated" I mean anyone who isn't Yngwie Malmsteen, Kirk Hammett, or Randy Rhodes...lol

12. Macrogats

Macrogats Friend of Leo's

Haha. You beat me to the Maiden thing. :p

13. MatsEriksson

MatsEriksson Tele-Afflicted

Anyone remembers Michael Lee Firkins ?
    He later became a slide steel guitarist, with National Dobros and the likes as main instrument.

Thought he was one of the few shredders that had something else to it, too. Fell into oblivion as all the rest of them.

Nahtabot likes this.
  14. Danb541

Danb541 Friend of Leo's

15. Mexitele Blues

Mexitele Blues Tele-Afflicted

Nuno Bettencourt was a hero of mine BITD. He got decent recognition at the time but doesn't come up much anymore. Always enjoyed how he brought the swagger of hair metal without the silliness.

16. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

Tom Keifer from Cinderella was an excellent multi-instrumentalist...I dug their “Heartbreak Station” album.

17. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

The Screaming for Vengeance album came out my senior year in high school. I played that cassette so much I wore it out. The Hellion was awesome, and I always loved the intro to this one too.

18. Loambiker76

Loambiker76 TDPRI Member

Agreed.

19. M2roadwarrior

M2roadwarrior Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Oops he said metal Dave Mustaine

20. rockhound

rockhound TDPRI Member Gold Supporter

Skid Row's Scott Hill. That "I Remember You" solo is pure gold.
    Also Winger's Reb Beach.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.