Undercoat For Touch Up?

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by boneyguy, Oct 22, 2021.

1. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

I won't go into all the details of how this tragic event occurred but during the final buffing of some Fiesta Red nitro lacquer I burned right through to the wood on the inside edge of the lower cutaway. I think I can repair it so it's invisible.

My question is this, even though Fiesta Red is an opaque finish will I need to re-spray the white undercoat that I sprayed on the guitar to begin with? If I don't put a coat of the undercoat down will it change the colour of the FR? As I've softened the edge of my burn through it has exposed a band of the white undercoat so the 'wound' now has a thin white perimeter around bare wood.

What's the consensus here concerning the need for the undercoat?

2. Sea Devil

Sea Devil Friend of Leo's

Sounds tricky! Ideally, you should have the white undercoat there, but not over any of the red. That's not easily done. If you can expose a bit more of the white around the affected area, you'll have a better chance of the repair being invisible. You'll need to mask the area, but not with something like tape that leaves a hard edge. If you cut a corresponding shape out of a piece of paper and hold it just above the body, it will soften the edge, but there's a risk of some white landing on the red, so additional masking with low-tack tape outside of the area may be helpful. Ideally, all of the red would be completely protected, and an extra 3/8" or so of white should show around the exposed wood so that you can blend effectively.

Once you start shooting the red again, keep in mind that the larger the area you paint, the easier it is to hide. Don't worry about fine, dusty overspray; it comes right off. Good luck!

3. stratisfied

stratisfied Tele-Afflicted

Priming may be the only way to avoid shading where the rub through doesn’t cover the same as the surrounding paint. I like to use an airbrush for both the primer and the color for the touch up. Then you don’t have to worry about trying to spray through a mask to control the spread of overspray.

Timbresmith1 and boneyguy like this.
  4. Sea Devil

I'm completely with stratisfied on the airbrush, but most of use don't have access to one. The approach I recommended is a good workaround.

boneyguy likes this.
  5. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

Thanks for the comments. Yes, I'm using my airbrush and the techniques that you have mentioned....I was really only wondering about the necessity for the undercoat which I do believe I'll spray. This touchup/repair is made much easier because of it's location, on the inner curve of the lower cutaway of a Strat...it would be much more difficult if not impossible if it was on either the front or back flat surface of the body. In this particular situation it will be not too difficult to blend the 'repair'. I've got it sanded very smooth at it's periphery...I'll build it up with undercoat and colour coat a bit in that area and then pull the mask off to reveal a larger area that I'll spray with the colour coat and then probably do the entire length of the curve with a bunch of clear coats. That's the plan.

Sea Devil likes this.
  6. stratisfied

stratisfied Tele-Afflicted

You'll be fine.

7. Sea Devil

Couldn't agree more. I think you have the situation well in hand. Don't forget to post the results!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.