1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Under My Thumb

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Bill Sheehan, Mar 6, 2021.

1. Bill Sheehan

Bill Sheehan Tele-Holic

If I had my 'druthers, I'd play strictly with my thumb. Both acoustic and electric. When I sit quietly in my living room I can do it just fine, and my good old thumb has a great sense of rhythm and dexterity and, especially, control, and that's a great feeling. And so liberating not to have to worry about the pick. I can't exactly "shred", but I never could anyway; with my thumb only, I can navigate any rhythm and most lead lines (for the material I usually do) without any problem.

BUT, when I go to play in any kind of setting where we generally need to project a little better, with or without an amp or mic-up, and it's time to use a little more aggressive attack, it just sounds so darn MUDDY! Especially thumb-strummed chords! I find this to be true, for instance, with the duo I have with a friend of mine. Personal practice is typically thumb-only, and I love it; but when it's time to play together, that just doesn't seem to cut it, and I'm fishing for the pick!

I often wonder, if I just keep at it, and keep at it, that maybe eventually that sweet spot on my thumb will develop into a rougher surface and start to sound more crisp, and less mushy? Any thumb-only players out there who might have any encouraging thoughts?

telestratosonic likes this.
  2. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Friend of Leo's

I think you’re on to something with the sweet-spot callus formation but that probably won’t ever sound like a pick. EQ/tone knobs can help make things less muddy.

3. buster poser

buster poser Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

My understanding is that Josh Homme didn't even use a pick his first couple of years of playing. Still doesn't sometimes like below, sounds pretty solid to me (esp for that little Gibson parlor box). I think you're always going to have a diminished attack even if your skin toughens up, but whatever you're most comfortable doing is usually always going to produce good sound.

4. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Afflicted

I haven't used picks in lots of years. Your hand and playing adapt, if you want to go that route. I can't go back to using a pick.
    Your knobs will be 8n different places without a pick, I've noticed.

Bill Sheehan likes this.
  5. fretWalkr

fretWalkr Tele-Meister

Playing with the thumb? Wes does things using his thumb that I can't believe is possible. I'm watching him do it in a live video and would never have guessed that sound could come from just using your thumb. Check out his solo around :40

6. WorkbenchJohnny

WorkbenchJohnny TDPRI Member

Thumb? I think Slim is on to something with the EQ thing. Especially with a +/=7 band EQ pedal to really taper those mids and reduce gassy-woof to cut through a noisy barroom.

There are pro-level guitarists primarily using a bare thumb in loud live bands, so it’s proven possible without a pick.

Bill Sheehan likes this.
  7. _MementoMori_

_MementoMori_ Tele-Holic

This handsome BASTARD.

Bill Sheehan likes this.
  8. WorkbenchJohnny

WorkbenchJohnny TDPRI Member

Also, which part of your thumb are you predominantly using?

If it’s not the flat side / 1st knuckle, but more towards the tip than you could grow your thumb nail out a bit. I used to do that for classical guitar. It does require a different arm position so I’d ignore this option if you don’t play the thumb tip already.

Another option are über low profile thumb picks. I like the bumblebee ones and similar. They’re just a small jazz pick attached to a thumb mount. There’s also banjo “speed picks” that are merely a slim tang. You could play one as-is or trim the tang shorter so it only sticks out enough to catch the strings

Bill Sheehan likes this.
  9. buster poser

buster poser Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Great call on Wes, was watching the below the other night, can't believe I didn't think of it first.

It's really annoying isn't it? Snapped this about 15 years ago in DC, dude's getting better looking with age.

upload_2021-3-6_10-59-2.png

Bill Sheehan and _MementoMori_ like this.
  10. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I thought you were going to talk about one of rock’s most sexist/misogynistic songs ever by none other than the Stones.

Onto the subject, I play better with my thumb, both rhythm and single note. I can play faster, with better rhythm etc. Yet, I still persist in trying to play well with a pick.

I’ve developed a technique that works for me to minimize the effect of the thumb on tones.

I should give up on the pick.

Bill Sheehan and WorkbenchJohnny like this.
  11. _MementoMori_

_MementoMori_ Tele-Holic

It's just not fair. Dude got all the talent AND all the looks.

Bill Sheehan likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.