under 500 bucks what's the best tube amp

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by menace, Mar 29, 2013.

1. swellsmd

swellsmd Tele-Meister

Champ XD

2. menace

menace Tele-Meister

Wow u think I could get a twin reverb that would be sweet I'm a have to look into that if I could get into that my whole setup would be under 1500 (69 tele 500 peavey t-15 $80 pedals around $300 then twin 500) oh ya tele was from an uncle hahaa can't sale upon pain of death

3. buckfuzzard

buckfuzzard Tele-Meister

Hard to beat a Blues Jr for the money

4. Televised

Televised Friend of Leo's

I think this is a good list. No direct experience but with the caveat that from what I have been reading:

Vox AC15C1
    Fender Excelsor
    Peavey Classic 30

5. nomadh

nomadh Tele-Holic

Just add to your list crate v15 or v30. Ripping voxy type tuber. One of my sound guys loves how it mic.s.

6. greggorypeccary

greggorypeccary Friend of Leo's

But easy to beat if you are willing to spend a little more. :p

7. brianswindall

brianswindall Tele-Afflicted

1960 Gibson GA-5. Single ended, class "A", 5 watts. This thing rips. It's basically a tweed champ...for a lot less...$450.:eek:

Attached Files:

8. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

ampeg gvt15

check out bonnie raitts guitarst, awesome tone

earl slick is using one now too.
    cheap, around $500 with a built in attenuator of sorts (1/4 power, 1/2 power switch)

9. menace

menace Tele-Meister

I was wondering how the ampeg sounded before and the gibson is interesting hmmm...... now I'm really confused on which to get lets narrow it down I like a clean sound that starts to break up I need to round up all these amps and have a sound off

10. Mike SS

Mike SS Poster Extraordinaire

If you're looking to use this with a drummer in the room, and still want some "clean" sound you might want to stay away from 5 watt amps. You will have to push them hard to keep up decibel wise, and this won't give you much clean head room, unless you plan on miking into the PA. If it's going to be "amp only" then I would stay with at least 15 watt and up.

11. Birdmankustomz

Birdmankustomz Friend of Leo's

I have a Champ 600 (the new one) that was $150 that I love using in my room. My Peavy VTM60 is massively loud with a basic Marshall 4x12 cab but loud cleans leave a bit to be desired (my dad bought it for me in high school, I think he spent around 400 on it for both head and cab). If I had to buy an amp setup for under 500 I would probably grab a Marshall cab and run a Champ into it. Very loud and crunchy but cleans up surprisingly well while still maintaining volume.

12. FMA

FMA Poster Extraordinaire

Just saw on Sweetwater's site that they have Ampeg GTV15 1-12 combos marked down to $399. Says they're on special order. I'm not sure what kind of lead time they're talking about, but it's be worth a call.
    If I were in the market for an inexpensive tube amp, I'd be all over that.

13. Jake D

Jake D Tele-Holic

Marshall Class 5.
    Fender Excelsior

I'd sell my Excelsior if you want to buy it. I am keen on getting another Blues Jr.

14. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

Yeah, dollar per pound Twins are the best deal out there.

There's an inverse relationship between the size of an amp and its price these days. Big ol' Fenders are cheap while lil' ol' Fenders are expensive.

My pick would be '73-'74 master volume non- ultralinear. If I could find a '69 or '70 for a good price I'd be all over it.

'69 Tele... SF Twin Reverb. And you're in Bakersfield already, right? :D

15. TexGoneNW

TexGoneNW Tele-Afflicted

Pro Junior

16. brianswindall

brianswindall Tele-Afflicted

It is true, if you are going to play with a drummer you will have to mic it or get a bigger amp. It should also be said that these 5 watt amps don't take pedals overly well or have any headroom. They don't do clean, either - my little Gibson starts to break up at 3 (out of ten) on the volume dial. What it DOES do is some of the best naturally overdriven rock and roll sounds of any amp that I have played through. It's a one trick pony - but what a trick. They can be hard to find, as well. But a great amp and good value. The Vox Ac15 is much louder, sounds great and can be had used for $500 or less - I love mine.

17. Sunrise Blues

Sunrise Blues TDPRI Member

I've had a pro junior. Great amp. Thought I needed a blues Jr. Got one. Sold the pro Jr to get the popular bill m mods. Then purchased for $500 a custom vibrolux reverb with no kickstands. Loud. Cleans. Early breakup....but loud. Tube reverb. Tremelo. 2 x 10s. Use it as a cabinet if that strikes you. Not light but heavy. Ill be getting rid of my green board usa blues Jr soon. People don't like this amp simply because fender gave it the wrong name.

18. bacongrease

bacongrease Tele-Meister

What do you all think of the epiphone valve jr?

19. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

I bought this Super 210 a few years back for 450 off a friend of mine...:D....

it's a frikken truck, heaps of grunt.... it spends as much time switched on as my PC and TV.... by itself or plugged into cabs.... quiet as a mouse ... or as loud as you want it to be...:twisted:

heavy as an elephant though.... it stays where I put it the day it arrived .... :lol:...

Attached Files:

20. glyn bob

glyn bob Tele-Meister

I ve got Pro jr and a champion 600 both really decent amps for the money.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.