Under $100.00 Playable Acoustic?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by Wallo Tweed, Apr 28, 2017.

1. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Afflicted

I'd study guitar setup first. When you have an almost playable guitar prospect you can understand what is wrong if you've studied setup. If you have any tool access your setup studies might lead you to fix a minor problem.

Wallo Tweed and Tony Done like this.
  2. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

I met a guy a couple of weekends ago who pulled out a 1937 Epiphone Broadway that he had bought that afternoon for $50 at a yard sale.

Happy hunting!

Wallo Tweed likes this.
  3. FluffyDog6

FluffyDog6 Tele-Meister

For under $100 BRAND-NEW, no hoping for a Craigslist find:

Rogue RA-090 - Surprisingly good guitar, often on sale for $50.

Jasmine S35 - Jasmine is the budget brand of Takamine. This is another surprisingly good guitar, which I would place slightly higher in quality than the Rogue.

For just over the $100 mark (on sale this week):

Yamaha F335 Anything by Yamaha is my straight-up entry-level suggestion for someone looking at acoustic guitars, especially while it is on sale. (If not on sale, I would probably pop a little more to the Yamaha FG800.) But in any case, you can easily walk into Guitar Center and touch the exact guitar you are buying that day.

On the USED market -- where is, as is, when is. Hard to say other than anything like a Seagull S6, Yamaha FG730, Yamaha FS700, Fender CD60 (or CD100), Fender T-Bucket, Epiphone AJ-100, or anything in the Takamine "G" series that crosses your radar would be worth looking at IMO.

Note: Really old acoustics can be a crap shoot -- good deals if action is low, worthless if high action requires a neck reset. Unless you really know what you're looking at, avoid buying old stuff on Craigslist.

Wallo Tweed, syrynx and callasabra like this.
  4. syrynx

syrynx Tele-Afflicted

I agree with all of the suggestions offered previously. But my own most recent acoustic guitar acquisition is a Jasmine (by Takamine) S34C. The Music Go Round near me stocks these for $120 new. Over the last few months, I've played five or six of the new ones, and was severely tempted. All have been very well set up, played easily, and sounded very good. I'm glad I waited, though, because I scored my used one for $80 (from MGR), and it's every bit as good as new. And my record of not buying a new guitar since 1991 is still intact.

Wallo Tweed likes this.
  5. Kiwi_Neil

Kiwi_Neil Tele-Meister

Not sure what the price is in your neck of the woods, but I have an Epiphone DR100 and it's lovely........

Wallo Tweed likes this.
  6. Wallo Tweed

Wallo Tweed Friend of Leo's

Thanks for all the replies. We are thinking GC, because we live 40 miles apart. He has one in his town and there is one near my place.

It has been two weeks since he called me and I haven't heard back from him yet. I'm not going to spend much time on CL if he only had a passing interest. CL asking prices in my area are too high IMO.

I do have some basic set up skills, and I am able to tell if a guitar is savable or a total POS.

It's pretty cool that you can get a new playable acoustic for around a hundred bucks. I started playing an acoustic in the mid sixties, and cheap guitars were junk.

7. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

A beater Yamaha is probably your best bet. But for that price, you just gotta keep an open mind and be patient, and possibly willing to do some work on the saddle and nut.

8. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Afflicted

Yamaha FG800 is $169 right now at guitar center all 3 top finishes included in sale

Wallo Tweed likes this.
  9. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Afflicted

I had a FG180 I loved years ago foolishness resulted in letting it go

I looked at several for sale locally and every one needed a neck reset to make them playable for anything but cowboy chords. Very few techs will attempt a neck reset on red label Yamaha for a reasonable price if at all. Awesome guitars but most are junk now as a result. Research this topic there are countless posts on the www

Wallo Tweed likes this.
  10. Rob DiStefano

Rob DiStefano Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

i love cheap guitars. GOOD cheap guitars.

the following is my prioritized list concerning fretted instruments ...

1. PLAYABILITY - even if that guitar/bass/banjo/mandolin/ukulele/etc sounds amazing, if i can't properly play it to its full potential, it's worthless to me unless it can be "fixed". but can its playability be tweaked? you'll need to know what to look for and how to assess. most would be surprised at how a not-so-playable acoustic guitar with so-so tone that can be well set up will not only play better, but clearly sound better. then consider - how much will this "tweaking" for playability add to the price tag? first, can the guitar be worked on? MOST IMPORTANT - was the neck set at a proper angle? this will determine if the saddle can be tweaked for a lower string action. does it have an adjustable truss rod and does it work? how are the frets? will it require a level and crown? how is the nut relief, is it too high or too low and can that be fixed? lots to consider.

2. TONE / SOUND - with an electric, it's *ALL* about the pickup(s) and the onboard circuit it/they feed. with an acoustic, the tone is built in, and there might not be a direct relationship between cost and tone. i've heard many a so-so toned acoustic in the big $$$$ range. it happens.

3. AESTHETICS - color, shape, ergonomics, purely subjective matters.

4. COST - where the rubber meets the road.

good luck!

Wallo Tweed likes this.
  11. 5ofeight

5ofeight Tele-Holic

Yamaha f310 or a Squier SA105 acoustics, both are lovely playing guitars for their price range and build..

Wallo Tweed likes this.
  12. PhillyTele

PhillyTele TDPRI Member

+1 for Yamaha......even the cheap ones have decent necks once you adjust the action

Wallo Tweed likes this.
  13. cboutilier

cboutilier Tele-Afflicted

Used. Yamaha. /thread

Wallo Tweed likes this.
  14. 6stringman

6stringman TDPRI Member

Yamaha f310 used in the uk go for like £30-£50 so cheap this was my first acoustic which I still have . Had it now for 6 years.
    But what about a fender Sonoran mini used great little guitar

Wallo Tweed likes this.
  15. Tony Done

Tony Done Friend of Leo's

I played one of those recently in the local hock shop, and it was very good indeed. But you have to watch out for bad neck angles in all used acoustics.

Wallo Tweed likes this.
  16. 6stringman

6stringman TDPRI Member

Is that the Yamaha or the fender you are talking about?

17. Tony Done

Tony Done Friend of Leo's

The Yamaha F310.

18. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

I have the Jasmine, all cedar.

It is without a doubt the best sounding acoustic I've ever played. Neck is not too thin or thick, action just fine, but man oh man oh man:

Whoever heard of pure CEDAR!? I can't BELIEVE the sound on this thing compared to $1,000 plus Taylors. It totally stopped any gas for me as far as acoustics go.

I think I paid around $129 new when the Jasmine line just about came out, but I picked it up, and 5 minutes later, I was at the cash register paying for it.

Yamaha makes a solid build quality guitar, but for tone and residence, this Jasmine blows them out of the water. Long last build quality with heavy playing? I can't vouch for that.

I seriously love this guitar that much.

EDIT;

I'm not home now and don't remember my model #, but I don't see an all-cedar Jasmine now sold through Musician's Friend.

Last edited: May 11, 2017
    Wallo Tweed likes this.
  19. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

Granted, I haven't played them all, but I've played plenty (though not recently), and I can honestly say:

I never met a Fender acoustic that I even remotely liked.

Wallo Tweed likes this.
  20. NotAnotherHobby

NotAnotherHobby Tele-Afflicted

There were a couple that I saw and played. One had a traditional-sorta top. The other had a mahogany-looking top (I actually think it is a Japanese hardwood, not mahogany). They both sounded awesome.

And for the price, you could buy 10 of them compared to the price of some other guitars, and toss it when it got beat up.

And I'll tell you, I sorta regret not picking one up when I had the chance.

Edit: Just read a glowing review of the Jasmine S34 cutaway version that gave me a chuckle. It went:

"I'm still having a bit of a diffiuclt time reconciling the guitar I received with the amount of money I spent for it."

Last edited: May 12, 2017
    Wallo Tweed likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.