1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Unconventional Blonde Finishes

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by Swoop, Apr 16, 2010.

1. Swoop

Swoop Tele-Meister

Just wondering what folks have used other than the typical blonde lacquer like the stuff you can get from Reranch, to give their Tele an authentic, or close to, blonde finish.

I bought some Wattyl Wood Gel in Honey oak, as I thought it looked pretty close to the honey blonde finish on the Special Run Highway 1 Teles. There's one in my local guitar store, and I really liked the colour and satin finish of it. However, having applied it to a test piece, it's not at all close, and not what I'm after.

I wanted to do a dye finish, because I don't really have the facilities, skills, or patience to spray lacquer myself, but want to finish the body myself. So, what alternatives are there?

2. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I don't think you can get an "authentic" look and also use just dye.

I think the best recipe is grain filler, to which you can add differing amounts of color, and then some form of trans color lacquer or sprayed shellac. Leo Fender's products went out looking certain ways then evolved as they were played, left in the light, and left in smoky environs. There's a gazillion permutations all inbetween the colors from ReRanch or Mohawk (my poison) or in custom blended lacquer colors. And at some point we'll be using water based lacquers to the same effect although the recession seems to have slowed that process way down.

3. TNO

TNO Friend of Leo's

What I plan to try is some kind of whitewash coat, sanded back a bit to show the grain. Then spray freshly-mixed shellac with a preval to imitate ambered lacquer. I'm not sure exactly what to use for the wash coat though. Kilz?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.