Uncle Tupelo

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Dan R, Aug 25, 2019.

1. Dan R

Dan R Friend of Leo's

Uncle Tupelo was a band that launched the careers of Jay Farrar (Son Volt) and Jeff Tweedy (Wilco).

I read a comment that said: How did these guys have it so together at the beginning and then spend decades chasing that same magic? Not totally true but mostly. The band deserves some credit and recognition, IMO

When a fan expressed sadness to Jeff Tweedy that Uncle Tupelo broke up he said, 'Maybe you should've bought our records.'

BorderRadio and richiek65 like this.
  2. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

I bought a copy of Anodyne recently and really enjoying it. I suppose I have some catching up to do.

Dan R likes this.
  3. Nelg

Nelg Tele-Meister

Great band, just a little ahead of their time, IMHO

6stringcowboy likes this.
  4. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I saw the Bottlerockets open up for these guys back in the 90s. It was supposed to be Cowboy Junkies headlining, I had no idea who Uncle Tupelo was, pleasant surprise and nice introduction to "No Depression" or "Y'allternative"- Wave 5 or whatever (starting with what? Graham Parsons?) So I'd argue they really weren't ahead of their time at all, just riding that tide that comes and goes

Also don't forget that time when Ryan Adams wanted to be Uncle Tupelo

...or was that where Uncle Tupelo got the idea? They both came out real close around each other. I don't know, really, and I'm too tired right now to go chasing down the dates

richiek65 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.