Unboxing videos?

willsonline

TDPRI Member
Is it just me, or is this whole trend absurd? I can’t see the point in making a 15 minute video dedicated to taking a piece of gear out of its shipping carton. Is it perhaps some bizarre cardboard and bubble wrap striptease? When I go to YouTube to research equipment, I want to see and hear it in action. The moment a shipment arrives here, I can’t get it out of the box fast enough. Someone obsessed with wielding their favorite knife or box cutter while narrating their every slice seems to show that they need a tad more substance in their life. If I’m missing something, please enlighten me.

bgmacaw

Poster Extraordinaire
From what I've read, it got popular because of it got started with a very popular kid's toy review channel. And, of course, every influencer wannabe jumps on the bandwagon.

Another factor is that unboxing extends the time of the video to the 10 minute range. This is important for monetized channels because it allows them to have multiple commercials run instead of one or none.

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
"Ooooo, look at this packaging!"

I cannot remember the last time I bought anything based on its packaging.

Yeah, never.

I buy Underberg (gastronomic bitters) based on their annual collectible decorative can. But that still comes in a plain box...

omahaaudio

Friend of Leo's
yep, waste of time for sure. Just like the pedal or guitar video's where they talk about marginal stuff for 10 minutes..
How about those "new car" videos that consist of a guy walking around a new model pointing at things like lights or exhaust pipes?

Cyberi4n

Tele-Holic
Don't like them, don't watch them lol. Theres no need for anyone to understand why they're done and its not as though you have limited choice with what to watch on the internet :)

blowtorch

Telefied
Ad Free Member
y'all do the same often, with your NGD posts: "hmmm, wonder what's in THIS box?"

archtop_fjk

Tele-Holic
Unboxing is now part of the "guitar influencer" video production script along with...

* sloooowly opening the box/case to keep the audience in suspense...
* waving the item in front of the camera noting how shiny it is...
* showing the Reverb listing so viewers know what a great deal you got or...
* ...thanking the company for sending you another free piece of gear!

dsutton24

Doctor of Teleocity
In my opinion about 90% of the videos out there are unnecessary or waaaaay too long. Last week I needed to replace a solenoid valve in my wife's car, and just wanted to know where the stupid thig was located. I found a video easily enough, but you have to wade through 16 minutes of verbosity before you ever see the valve.

Just give me directions, I'll be fine.

Kandinskyesque

Tele-Afflicted
I've had one occasion where an unboxing video actually helped me.

I bought a set of those Bluetooth neckband headphones that had a faulty battery. The headphones came with a whole lot of peripheral nonsense and leaflets.
The box itself was like one of those Chinese puzzles, poetically matching the cheap, inferior MIC product.

I was sitting looking at it baffled as to how to repack it and send it back, then my son said.

"It's easy. Just find an unboxing video on YouTube and do the reverse"

These young folks and their newfangled fancydan millennial ways!!!

mindlobster

Tele-Afflicted
I don't watch them. I remember once I tweeted and made fun of unboxing videos, and a couple of guys (it was guys, naturally) got mad at me. I have a few followers on Instagram, but I just don't care if unboxing would boost clicks or not. I'm just not doing it.