Un-Modded My American Standard

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by slauson slim, Jun 12, 2018.

1. slauson slim

slauson slim Friend of Leo's

I own a 1995 American Standard Tele - sunburst with a rosewood fingerboard. Chasing tone and attempting to improve the instrument it went through a number of pickup changes - OVs, Broadcasters, Bardens, Muy Grande and finally Twang Kings, removal of the TBX, various pot and cap values, and the addition for awhile of three brass saddles. The TK bridge pickup in the AmStd had an unsatisfactory and annoying bump in the mids.

Following my own advice to others, a few weeks ago I returned the guitar to near stock. The American Standard pickups went back in, new 250k pots and .022 cap and wired as per Fender 1998 AmStd specs, and back to stock string retainer. The two changes from absolute stock were removal of the TBX and a black pickguard in lieu of white.

At present, the near stock guitar with original pickups and saddles and wiring, and at 22 years old, is a fine sounding and playing guitar, and well broken-in. It twangs enough, sounds very good straight into amps and takes to pedals well. It will never be a classic Tele or have the classic Tele sound, but as a modern example it does lots of things well.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    InkStained and blille like this.
  2. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's

I could never go back to the TBX tone control. Both of my TBX controls are in storage, waiting for the day I might want to put it back in prior to a sale...but I would make it a "buyer's option" or offer it as an incentive to the sale.

asnarski likes this.
  3. AndrewG

AndrewG Friend of Leo's

'Chasing tone'. I never understood modding and have never done anything more drastic than adding strap locks. When I'm looking to buy a guitar it has to sound good or it stays where it is, in the store. Chasing tone is a crap shoot at best, and I'm not about to start throwing money at pickups if I have no idea what, if any, improvement they might make. If I don't like them what do I do; throw £100 (or more), worth of pickup in a drawer and shrug my shoulders before moving on to the next pickup?

Fuelish and ultra80096 like this.
  4. Fuelish

Fuelish Tele-Meister

foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains, east TN
    Same here, but to each, their own … "tone chasing" can be a quest, or a hobby for many, I guess, and it's all cool. I do next to nothing to "mod" my guitars, and love 'em all for what they are. Only true "mod" I've done over the decades was wire a jumper on my Squier Strat so the neck tone controls the harsh bridge
    pup as well….easy enough....anything else, I just dick around with my Tweaker until it sounds about right to me....<disclaimer> I am a long-time amateur guitarist, if I got paid to play, my opinion might differ. Nothing wrong with folks chasin' tone if they have the time and the $$$, neither of which am I abundant in :)

PCollen likes this.
  5. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's

I caught a lot of tone by buying a 68 Princeton Reverb Reissue and a 68 Vibrolux Reverb Reissue. The Princeton tone is great and the SFVR if you want adds a fuller tone with the twin speakers.

6. jimilee

jimilee Tele-Afflicted

Isn’t it strange how our tastes in the toanz we chase changes with age.

Undone likes this.
  7. Undone

Undone TDPRI Member

Too true. In the last 10 years I have gone from all humbucker equipped guitars with high gain "metal amps" , no reverb, high wattage and big old 4-12's to neck single coils, no pick, edge of breakup in a small modeller with stereo 2 x 3"s. Yamaha THR10's. Just hit 50 last week and never played more or wrote more in my 42 years of playing/gigging. This older age thing isn't all bad.

8. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

Tone chasing with mods, pickup changes, etc is a hobby in and of it self. 20 or so years ago I was heavy in to it. I got tired of it as in most cases they aren't really improvements but more sideway steps. Just something different. I just started buying guitars that I liked as is. And with the time I saved over obsessing on how I could improve my guitars I got pretty good at playing them.

9. mrmousey

mrmousey Tele-Meister

Some people just "enjoy the journey" of modding
    It's fun to change things around and see what happens .....

asnarski likes this.
  10. trep53

trep53 TDPRI Member

I'm not too excited about tearing my guitar apart. I've been called a "caretaker" because I leave my toys bone stock, I hate changing things around. That being said if I was to modify a tele I'd start with a broken/non-working one. Put a Tele wide range neck humbucker in there, SC bridge PU, three barrel brass saddel, rosewood fret board neck, sunburst finish with a tortoise pick guard. I'd do all the wood working to get a right clean look.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.