Um, what's the deal with 2019 Gibson Explorer? (I ask politely being a newb). Dean, PRS noted.

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by GreenMagicMan, Feb 7, 2019.

1. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Silver Supporter

A 2019 Explorer has a clear finish. You were looking at a 2019 Explorer B-2 with a satin black finish over a body that doesn't have the grain filled. The B-2 costs about $300 less because there are fewer steps in finishing it.

jvin248 and GreenMagicMan like this.
  2. GreenMagicMan

GreenMagicMan TDPRI Member

I thought it was seesawing a little there just checking it, but I might also have a high 14th fret or something. Got to find a better straight edge (using small keychain plastic store rewards card type thing).
    Also, this guitar neck appear slightly bowed back in the center - the center bellies down a little. Most of my guitars seem to have a little of this profile.

Ah, thanks for the explanation archetype. So I'm looking at a lesser priced B-2 Explorer. Still, I wouldn't think an average buyer would find it attractive or worth $1399 with many other more attractive products out there.

3. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I think the first thing you should do is check basic setup parameters. Truss rod tension and bridge saddle height, especially. It's normal to have a little bit of bow, but not too much. A proper setup gets that
    just right.

4. GreenMagicMan

Update: I test drove a 2019 B-2 Explorer down at Orlando, FL GC.
    The neck frets had no sharp edges. The neck was actually quite nice, so this guitar (Or Epiphone version) is back on my radar.
    However, that particular guitar was a buzzing monster. The 4th string buzzed open (!) 20%+ of the frets buzzed... the action was not quite as low as I've set my Washburn A20V either...
    The wood was still crap looking... lots of indentations / pock mark looking.
    This all said I did like the feel to the neck and body - I was surprised as I really didn't like the neck before.
    In fact... I did a major Pepsi challenge back to back to back with the Dean Z79 blueburst with a 'V' neck I thought I really liked. In fact I like this Explorer better now than the Z79. Working the whole fretboard my hand was fighting that 'V' neck of the Dean. It's great on the lower cowboy chord frets but that's about it for me.
    So, the Dean Z79 is out (good riddance stupid V shape headstock and off balance diving to the floor headstock), and I'll be looking at an Epiphone Goth Explorer with hard case sold locally next week.

5. GreenMagicMan

oops. duplicate post. sorry.

6. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

2018 firebird stock strait into amp

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
    SecretSquirrel and radiocaster like this.
  7. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

radiocaster likes this.
  8. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Find a used Samick Explorer-type model. The old Artist series is pretty good.

or grab a used Epiphone and use the money you save to get the frets leveled and a good setup.
    A good setup is $50 and a full fret level is only $50 more and includes the setup. Then you'll have a guitar that plays as well as a custom shop.
    Sometimes a used guitar has a better setup than new because the prior owner got it worked on or knew what they were doing (and sometimes it's worse for those same reasons, lol).

All the factories only 'rough in' the setup expecting the buyer to get a local setup to their specs -- some players play super light and want nearly zero action while others 'dig in' and strum hard needing a much higher action and some want to play slide with really high action.

9. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

The best Explorer I've had (and I've had four, Gibson and Epiphone) was an old MIK Epiphone. If you can find one, I'd give it a try. Those old MIKs are some great guitars for not a lot of dough.

- D

GreenMagicMan likes this.
  10. GreenMagicMan

Well, I DID pull the trigger on a MIK Epiphone Explorer '58 Goth. And I love it.
    I knew picking it up and hitting one note I had to have it.
    It's likely made at Saien factory in Korea in 2004 my research last night tells me ('i' is first on the serial number followed by 04)
    I'm really thrilled. The neck on this one is fantastic feeling. No sharp edges. The mahogany wood on the body looks amazing with the satin flat black paint - I did not think I would like this finish but I really do. I guess I will make a separate post on it now... I've got questions of course!

11. bo

bo Friend of Leo's

I just got a floor model 2019 Gibson (NOT Epiphone...) Explorer from Sweetwater. It's an excellent guitar. Light weight, very nice Burstbuckers. There's a little slop in the Grover Minis, but I still like those better than Gibson's cheesy Kluson copies.

12. Rufus

Rufus Tele-Afflicted

Try being lefthanded and wanting an Explorer...Gibson does make them, but they have never been in any GC that I have been in. Special order must be the way to go and I'm not fond of ordering guitars sight unseen.

I like assembling and painting my own guitars and wanted the Explorer body shape but with a bolt on neck, so I ordered an XPL body at this website

http://www.kneguitars.com/rad_bod.php#Xplorhome

@$248.00 for a mahogany body routed to my specs and shipped to my door.

I should receive it in the next week or so...I was quoted about a 2 week delivery time for an unfinished body. I'm not sure if the body shape is an exact copy of the Explorer but it looks much more accurate than Warmoth's version. (its made for 25.5" scale neck but I might put a Warmoth 24.75" conversion neck on it, to try the Gibson scale.)

Being a Southpaw is a never ending challenge.
    Picture below is their righthanded model, obviously. xplor_main.jpg

radiocaster likes this.
  13. GreenMagicMan

I am very glad I am not a lefty, I feel your pain. They seem almost impossible to find lefty although I've seen a couple used for sale in the past year.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.