Ultra Tele Production Defect

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by mlo0703, Dec 12, 2019.

Should I Keep the Guitar with the discount

1. Take the discount

66.7%
  2. Get a new one

33.3%
  1. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Tele-Afflicted

I voted to send it back because for that kind of money the guitar better be perfect. But then I read the thread and some of the posts and changed my mind. That's a good discount and there's no guarantee that the next one won't do the same. I have a few fenders that have that small crack. Doesn't bug me.

mlo0703 likes this.
  2. Cysquatch

Cysquatch Tele-Holic

Personally, I would keep it and take that discount. Those hairline cracks on the neck pocket are going to show up eventually just due to the construction of the instrument. If there are no signs of serious stress or drops elsewhere that would lead you to believe there is worse damage under the crack, no big deal.

However, that is one expensive dang guitar and I wouldn't begrudge you one bit for returning it for a flawless one. I would wager that if you were bugged enough to make this thread, you'll be bugged enough by it forever, so the refund route may make you feel better about how your money was spent.

mlo0703 likes this.
  3. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

If you didn't buy it at their virtually ever-present 15% discount, then they are only offering you 3% back really. So I'd return it outright, then call back and order a new one with the 15% off.

If you did take advantage of the 15% off, and they offered you a further 18%, take the discount and go play that thing!

4. old wrench

old wrench Tele-Afflicted

The best Tele I've ever played has a finish crack nearly identical to yours.

In my situation, the finish crack occurred when the guitar hit the concrete floor, hard ;).

You are the one who needs to be happy with the guitar. If a finish crack and $400 bucks makes you happy, go for it.

Musicians Friend doesn't want that guitar coming back, you can be certain about that.

I prefer round numbers, myself. More like an even 20% :).

g

mlo0703 likes this.
  5. mlo0703

mlo0703 TDPRI Member

6. mlo0703

mlo0703 TDPRI Member

That is a good point and one I am thinking about for sure. I honestly don't plan on selling it but thinks obviously change as new gear comes out and I develop new tastes and interests. I don't mind dealing with people haggling as I negotiate for a living (I trade commodities internationally), but I do question if the fundamental value of the guitar is depreciated a lot more than 18% because of the issue. From what the MF customer service person told me they will most likely sell it as a used open box item at 10% discount to the retail price.

7. mlo0703

mlo0703 TDPRI Member

I got 10% off my initially purchase, max additional discount they can do is 8% (they have a strict 18% max policy). The customer service rep said he can give me $100 discount on a separate $750 order I placed after I bought the guitar.

8. mlo0703

mlo0703 TDPRI Member

You bring up a good point about the finish eventually corroding in some way. Will I run the risk of that happening sooner rather than later since the crack is already there?

9. mlo0703

mlo0703 TDPRI Member

lol ..... full disclosure I only buy things I can afford :)

Chunkocaster and telemnemonics like this.
  10. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Friend of Leo's

Keep it! 18% is nothing to sneeze at and a heck of a discount for something that happens to probably 1/2 of bolt on neck guitars eventually anyway.

mlo0703 likes this.
  11. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

take the money

you'll forget the crack as soon as you put your own ding on it

mlo0703 likes this.
  12. Guitharley

Guitharley Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

I don't have a sway vote for you.... but your pics do a nice job of showing the beautiful sparkle in the white ultra ..of which I have always wanted an idea of....thanks for that anway

mlo0703 likes this.
  13. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The finish crack won't cause future finish deterioration as far as I've seen.

mlo0703 likes this.
  14. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

The guitar could have left Fender and MF perfect. It may not even be due to courier.

You could receive a new guitar, and 12 months after it develops a similar crack. It's made of wood and wood shrinks, swells and moves due to heat, humidity and usage. Even catalysed finishes change after drying. They're hard and have no give.

As soon as you start using it even if you wipe it down carefully after every use it will get finger marks and marks from the stand, even from the case.

Secondhand, the moment you take it from the dealer showroom it's dropped 30% value.

So - if dollars is that important return it for refund, buy secondhand and let someone else take the depreciation hit.

mlo0703 likes this.
  15. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Any guitar that I have owned for at least a month isn’t going to be flawless anymore, and this is something that doesn’t bother me at all. I buy them because I play them, and when they get played they get some wear & tear. I would take the additional discount and not think twice about it.

Besides, if future value is your predominant concern, you would be much better served investing in a Roth IRA.

mlo0703 likes this.
  16. OldDude2

OldDude2 Tele-Holic

Hey Y'all - Welcome to the Forum and a Sweet Guitar.

I bought an elite last year actually two and was going to flip one back to GC on a trade for a nice strat. They told me when I bought them they would give 80% back in trade, but in reality they only offered 60% so I took my mint elite back home and they kept the strat.

At the end of the day either one isn't worth close to what you paid so if this one checks all your boxes, keep it and play the finish off it. Otherwise send it back for a full refund - last chance.

mlo0703 likes this.
  17. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

So they have offered you an additional 8%, ($160). Hmmm.

My MIM Cabronita has the same crack. I have no idea if it was there from day 1, but it could have been (none of my non-Teles have one). What percentage of Teles develop these cracks? They seem pretty common... or not uncommon, anyway. Passing up the extra 8% means taking a risk that you'll pass up the $160 and still maybe have the same crack. If this crack is very likely or very unlikely, it would affect my vote.

If they will exchange it with the same 10% off, I'd probably do it.

mlo0703 and Chunkocaster like this.
  18. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I was reading through this, and thinking whether I should change my vote. Then I saw that their offer was only 8%. I’d be a bit offended, personally. They are going to be absorbing costs if you exchange it, so they should be more flexible. I work retail, so I know how this stuff works. That’s a high-dollar item, and it’s not unreasonable to expect it to be in new condition. Sure, finish cracks like that do happen with time, but it shouldn’t start that way. If it were me, I would insist on an exchange, and I would not treat them favourably when reviewing their service.

650thunderbird and mlo0703 like this.
  19. jman72

jman72 Tele-Afflicted

My 2005 American Tele has that same crack (had it when I bought it used in 2011). Eight years later it hasn't changed..it's just in the finish. That being said, I'd want it to look nice if it was new unless it was a really good deal.

20. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

IME that particular crack shows that the guitar has fallen over at some point.
    Not that it affects tuning, stability or anything except cosmetics, but that truly is a big putoff to any perspective buyer.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.