Ultra Noiseless Vintage Tele Bridge Pickup

CoffeeAndGuitars

NEW MEMBER!
Hi All,

New member / just bought my first Tele - a Player Plus Nashville in butterscotch blonde. This model has a push-pull tone pot that adds the neck pickup to the bridge or bridge/middle positions on the 5-way. I bought it used and the previous owner had swapped out the stock Player Plus noiseless bridge pickup (it died apparently) that it came with and put in a Mexican standard single coil. I immediately noticed that any time the bridge was combined with either the middle, or middle and neck, I would lose volume and depth. I decided to change to a Fender Ultra Vintage tele bridge PUP. Unfortunately, after installing the new pickup, I still have the same issue. I have checked the wiring in all combinations using a multimeter, and everything looks solid. I am thinking a phase issue, although I am new to diagnosing issues like this.

I tried a few things. First I put a compass up to each pickup and in all three the south arrow pointed toward the magnets. From that I am concluding that the polarity seems to be the same among all three. Next I did the test where I placed a screwdriver on the magnets and quickly pulled it away while watching the change in resistance. The resistance across the bridge pickup increased when I pulled the screw driver away, whereas, the resistance of the other two decreased. This leads me to assume that the new pickup is wound in the opposite direction than the two original ones.

My question: is there anyway to fix this? I thought about swapping wires on the new pickup, but it has three wires - red, black and green. Currently, red goes to the 5-way switch and the black and green go to ground. Which wires would I swap? Black to switch, red and green to ground? Thanks in advance for any thoughts you might have. Thanks!

AAT65

Poster Extraordinaire
Swapping wires sounds the right way to go.
From the Ultra technical manual here, it looks like green is the baseplate, which should still be grounded, and red and black are ends of the signal coil — so swap red and black.
1661452838574.png

Or if you want to be very sure, since you’ve already got a meter, unsolder the wires and buzz them out to see what’s connected to what.

CoffeeAndGuitars

NEW MEMBER!
Thanks for the info AAT. I re-wired it as you suggested. Red and green to ground and black to switch. Sounds good now!

Cheers,
Sean