Ultra-light gigging amps. No, really...

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Jakedog, Apr 1, 2018.

1. Lef T

Lef T Tele-Holic

I think you and @Jakedog need to team up and form a band.
    The Flying Gambales.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
    ucnick, Jakedog and MilwMark like this.
  2. LP26

LP26 Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

guitrr likes this.
  3. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Got to rehearse the Gambale tonite with my AV '52 Tele.

Really nice! I think it is a little easier to dial in with singles than buckers (kinda backwards for me). But I'll just need to run the bass lower and the mids lower.

Can't believe the power in this thing. I had the drive at 3 o'clock and the master at 9 o'clock and even with a Tele had to roll back 1/3 to not be too loud.

Great sustain with singles again. Nice growl.

Very happy with this guy. Will be even happier with its 23lbs when I schlep it up the twisty rehearsal space steps and through the funky back door of the club next weekend.

Jakedog and blowtorch like this.
  4. Tele22

Tele22 Tele-Meister

Do you use both channels - clean and lead?

5. MilwMark

I’ve only used Clean. Honestly it has enough gain for me. The Drive sounds quite good and remains dynamic turned way up. It can get overdriven even with single coils, which is all I need.

Maybe @blowtorch or @Jakedog can comment on the Lead channel?

6. MilwMark

Not to belabor this but tonite rehearsal was with the '69 Tele with vintage (but not original) Wide Ranges. Superb. I'm really learning how to dial it in.

Shows Sunday and then next week Friday.

At this stage I'm officially "giddy" about the sound, value and convenience.

blowtorch likes this.
  7. Tele22

Tele22 Tele-Meister

So you understand now when we said ‘Don’t worry about the volume.’? :)

Any tips on dialing it in? I’m struggling a little with that - just twirling knobs and hoping to get a good sound, but I basically have no idea what I’m doing.

8. MilwMark

Don't be afraid to set the knobs in unconventional positions. I would be curious what others think. But to me, part of the charm of the amp is that it rarely sounds best to me with everyone "at noon" or pretty close. I think the EQ is powerful and flexible without being crazy or extreme.

Tonite (from memory) it was something like:

Clean channel.

- Drive 3 o'clock. Master 9 o'clock. Again, LOUD. Volume rolled back 1/3 at least.
    - B - 10 o'clock. Mid 1 o'clock. Treble 2 o'clock. Presence 3 o'clock.

Pay attention to the differences between Treble and Presence. Normally I'm not a "Presence" guy but on this amp, the Presence sounds better turned up higher than the Treble. And it's somewhat of a "darkish" amp inherently, IMO. Treble above noon is pretty much unheard of for me (on most Marshalls I set it at zero and still find them too bright unless completely cranked).

Good luck!

Jakedog likes this.
  9. Plumber

Plumber Tele-Holic

Markbass Mini CMD 121P and HX Stomp
    Good for guitar, bass, keys

10. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Tele-Meister

These threads are educational. Around me, there just aren't that many venues that are too big for a smaller amp, yet don't have a PA to mic into. Clearly, that's a real need in many places.

The Blues Cube Hot is plenty loud for anything I do. I rarely even get it above the 15 watt setting. But no, I'm not playing for a house sized for 200 with no PA.

guitrr likes this.
  11. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I play a variety of spots, mostly microbreweries, and even though I can use a small amp one big issue is the spread of my sound. Is it dispersed evenly, or is it in a fairly tight
    beam where it is too loud on axis but not loud enough everywhere else? When playing outside there are no walls for my sound to echo off of, so beaminess is more of an issue.
    I have two solutions. One is to use my Fender Super Reverb. With the 4 10" speakers and open back I found it has pretty good dispersion, especially if I use the tilt legs.
    The other is to use a smaller amp such as my SuperChamp and then mike it through the PA. I know many of us just can't be bothered with reinforcing our amps through the PA,
    but if I had a sound guy I think I would do this at every single gig.

I think a reasonable case could be made that using a small amp through a PA is actually a better solution than using a bigger amp all by itself. One key reason is you can have
    lower stage volume for the players. This reduces ear damage, ear fatigue, volume wars, etc. Have more volume going through the PA, less volume on the stage. But I fully understand
    why this is often challenging for gigs where you just want to get in and out with minimal setup.

I think another viable option might be to have a speaker extension cabinet with a
    reasonably long speaker cord. Then you could use your guitar amp speaker and the extension speaker pointed in different directions to get better spread and coverage. I might have
    to try that sometime.

12. Lef T

Lef T Tele-Holic

I'm looking forward to trying the Fender Tone Master Twin Reverb when it hits the stores.

unixfish likes this.
  13. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I’m glad you finally got one! They’re the bees knees.

And no, you’ll never have the issue of not enough volume. Hahaha! The thing is a BEAST.

I generally only use the clean channel with pedals, to answer somebody’s question... but have used the drive channel on occasion. I find it’s a lot like the clean channel in that it’s very dynamic and responsive. It’s not super high gain. I’d definitely classify it as an “overdrive” channel and not a “distortion” channel.

When I first got the amp, I did a gig with a studio engineer friend of mine who’s also an amazing drummer. He was so impressed with the clean channel that he asked to hear the OD, so I fired it up for him. His mouth fell open and he said “that doesn’t sound cheesy AT ALL.” He was floored.

As far as settings, I tend to go pretty close to straight up. With either my tele with Vintage Noiseless pickups, or my Mustang with a VN strat neck, and DiMarzio Cruiser in the bridge, I tend to run the gain about 11 o’clock, bass either straight up noon or one notch higher, mids straight at noon, treble about 1 o’clock, and presence almost off. With those settings I’ve never needed to get the master even up to 9 o’clock really ever.

I find the tone to be inherently pretty mid-forward, which I prefer greatly over the scooped out traditional Fender amp sound. It’s definitely more along the lines of a Brit style or Mesa Mark series clean tone. If you’re after a Fender clean, you can’t really get it with this amp. That’s fine by me, and actually an advantage IMO, but if you’re a Fender style amp person, it won’t be for you.

blowtorch likes this.
  14. MilwMark

@Jakedog - I find your mention of the Cruiser timely.

I just got an ‘89 Strat Plus. Now, normally I hate and replace Strat single coils. Usually with 2 humbuckers or P90s.

But I absolutely LOVE the Lace
    Sensors in this thing!

So much so that I was eyeballing the Lace Tele pickups.

Never expected that.

Jakedog likes this.
  15. drmmrr55

drmmrr55 Tele-Holic

I'm going to gig with my new Monoprice 15 watter this weekend. I will have my DSL40C in the trunk of my car in case it fails. The venue I'll be playing is acoustically excellent, and it should handle it with no mics, and has a loud enough stage volume. The Celestion 12" seventy-80 is not my favorite speaker, but it still sounds pretty good with the pair of EL84's, and to me, the Accutronic steel spring reverb tank even sounds decent. ( I've read reviews about the older Monoprice 15's that had a plastic reverb tank that was awful!)

I also like that it has a tone knob, then also bass, middle, and treble pots, which makes for great tone shaping. The best part is, I got the amp, and a 2007 MIM Fat Strat, both basically unused, for $300. That included both the amp, and guitar!. If it's a reliable amp, it'll be the best $300 ready to gig rig I ever bought. Oh yeah, the amp weighs about 27 lbs.! Combo 1.jpg

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
    guitrr likes this.
  16. Tele22

Tele22 Tele-Meister

So MilwMark & Jakedog, what you you guys doing to boost your leads with the FGC 121 - do you use some kind of a boost pedal, or are you just turning up the volume on the guitar?

I'm trying to cut back on my use of pedals, but don't see a way around the need for some kind of boost.

Jakedog likes this.
  17. zeedoctour

zeedoctour Tele-Meister

I'll tend to just rely on my Bugera v22 which isn't that heavy (half the weight of my Blues Deville 212) and it's really quite a nice tone machine. The reverb isn't Fender spring quality, but most people in the audience can't really tell, and I can live with it.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
  18. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I realize this question wasn't directed my way, but when I use this amp, I've at times just kept my guitar vol knob set with some reserve for leads, and I've also switched between the two channels for a boost (was doing this last night at rehearsal) and yep at times I've used pedals as well. Just depending on what seemed best for the situation

Tele22 and MilwMark like this.
  19. MilwMark

Volume knob or SD1. Just like any other amp for me.

Tele22 and blowtorch like this.
  20. Jwalker99

Jwalker99 TDPRI Member

Kemper toaster plugged into the PA. Kemper weighs less than 7 LBs.

You want lite weight, stop using combo amps. split amp head from cabinet much easier to carry and each is less than 30lbs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ucnick likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.