Ultra-light gigging amps. No, really...

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Jakedog, Apr 1, 2018.

1. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

That thing looks awesome. I'm just now starting to get into that British style Marshall sound - used to be all I needed was a little light breakup.

Jakedog likes this.
  2. SolidSteak

Well I bought another Quilter; the Overdrive 200. Same size and weight as the Tone Block 200, but with a ton more controls, effects loop, and channel switching between a more Fender-ish flavor and Marshally-ish rock hammer of doom. I'm digging it. I think it's really 4 channels: 2 channels with the EQ, and 2 channels without the EQ. It's hard to describe but it makes sense in person.

I want to get a British-voiced 12" speaker and build an open-backed pine box for it... any suggestions? Eminence Red Coat Governor? Celestion 70/80? Or maybe a Neo 15" speaker of some sort and build a slightly bigger box, somehow keeping it under 30lbs.

bravescoob, Jakedog and Lef T like this.
  3. Lef T

Lef T Tele-Holic

Did you get it yet or is it in transit.
    I look forward to a report

Jakedog likes this.
  4. Lef T

Lef T Tele-Holic

I called up Matrix and the owner spoke with me for over an hour.
    Great guy.
    They are building the Matrix line in Idaho now,so are easily available in the U.S.

Jakedog and SolidSteak like this.
  5. SolidSteak

I've had it about a week now and I really like it. I watched all of the youtube demos I could find, and then took a drive and tried one out through a 4x12 at a store (brought my own tele.) It took me less than 5 minutes of playing it to decide to buy it :D I had read so much about it and listened to so many demos that I was just like "try this setting, try this other setting, this one, turn it up, turn it down, done."

It sounds very good to me through the 2x12 cab I use at home (loaded with some kind of generic "Fender Musical Instrument Loudspeakers"), but that 4x12 in the store was awesome! I think it was a Mesa cab but I can't remember for sure; I'm not really a 4x12 guy.

So far I've played a Tone Block 200 which I still own, an older model Aviator head (traded it), Aviator Gold Ultralight 8 (still have it - 22lbs and very handy for jams!), and a Microblock 45 (traded it). The Overdrive sounds different from all of them, especially on the Lead channel.

I'm gonna have to try out a DV Mark head just to see what I'm missing.

Jakedog and Lef T like this.
  6. sluglas

sluglas TDPRI Member

Still gigging with my Vox MV50 for over a year now. I use it will different cab configurations but mostly a custom made cab with a 10" and an 8" running at 4 ohms for 50 watts . The 10 is open backed and the 8 is closed backed. A very good sounding amp that responds beautifully to my guitars volume knob. IMG_20180904_160403_hdr_kindlephoto-20720632.jpg IMG_20180904_160420_hdr_kindlephoto-20988250.jpg IMG_20180904_160403_hdr_kindlephoto-20720632.jpg IMG_20180904_160420_hdr_kindlephoto-20988250.jpg

7. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

No, but I love 'em.

8. bravescoob

bravescoob Tele-Meister

Shocked there hasn't been more talk of Quilter here- Quilter amps like SolidSteak's seem to fit this niche perfectly. Very loud, take pedals well, and easily fit into the side pouch of a pack or guitar bag; PLUS no regular maintenance, reliable, and the head only weighs 4 lbs. at most. Even can be bought as a light combo (under 20lbs!), mounted onto a pedalboard or cab, or run DI. Ideal solution?

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
    Jakedog and DaphneBlue like this.
  9. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Afflicted

Looks like that DVMark model is no longer available? Has this been replaced by some newer version?

Jakedog likes this.
  10. LuthRavin

LuthRavin Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Ultra..Ultra light gigging amp...so many suggestions...now mine...not a real amp, but I laughed until I tried and bought one..Tech21sansamp Guitar2..spendy but so so worth it..I've played giggs where there are no backlines only DI..the Tech21 sees me thru these shows perfectly..so many different settings, easily applied..

Jakedog likes this.
  11. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Correct. Glad I grabbed one when I did

Jakedog likes this.
  12. scout2112

scout2112 Tele-Holic

My rig isn't an amp at all, but a rack mounted Fractal Axe-FX II, Fractal MFC-101 midi control board, power amp, FRFR speaker as a personal monitor (the Line 6 thing thats sitting on top of the rack in the picture). The personal monitor could be as big or small as you need. It's so versatile that I couldn't imagine ever going back to amps. I plan to pick up the Fractal FM3 when it comes out, which is even smaller and lighter.

Attached Files:

Jakedog likes this.
  13. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The FGC121 has been discontinued for a while now. And trust me, there isn’t one for sale currently anywhere in the world. I regularly check EBay, GC and MF used, Reverb, and everywhere else I can think of and have not seen one come up ever. The people who have these are not parting with them. I know I wouldn’t give mine up for anything. I paid $500 brand new and I would happily turn down twice that if it were offered.

At winter NAMM DV introduced its replacement, but so far none of the new models they showed at NAMM have actually been released for sale. Hopefully the guitar amp division isn’t folding up. They make absolutely amazing stuff.

Jupiter, LuthRavin and DaphneBlue like this.
  14. SolidSteak

I see they have the Frank Gambale "FG Little 250" head unit advertised on their website but like you said I don't see it on MF or GC or anything yet.

I wonder how close the Little GH 250 is to the amp in the FGC combo? I'm tempted to get one every time Guitar Center coupon time comes around.

Jakedog likes this.
  15. Jakedog

I hadn’t seen the head... I’m sure it’s extremely similar. At NAMM they showed a new FGC combo. It’s a vertical 2x12 in the same color scheme as the 121. The control panel was a bit different. IIRC the new one doesn’t have a presence control.

SolidSteak likes this.
  16. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

After a diversion with TOOBS that cost me way too much $$ and more importantly had me unhappy with my tone and dynamics again, I'm back in the fold. Just finished an outdoor show for 3-400 people. Using my Katana 100 on 50w setting. Crunch Channel Volume on full, Gain 10 o'clock, Master only about 10 o'clock. So much authority I had to roll my LP volumes back to 6 each and pick lightly. More importantly, it had the warm but detailed tone the finds an EZ spot in the mix that I want, and brilliant responsiveness. I'm NOT going back. At 33lb for 100loud watts, I realize it doesn't qualify to recommend in this thread.

And @Jakedog, I have been trolling Reverb. Finally found the FGC121 in nice condition and snapped it up. Should be here midweek, maybe before rehearsal.

Never got to try one in person, but did see @blowtorch play one in a local club and he sounded great. I figure for $300 I can't go too wrong.

I will probably try the Tonemaster Twin when it comes out. 33lb for a 212 Twin I can power scale down to get that glorious Twin breakup? Yes please. It's a new age. If I try it out and it sounds and responds right, I'll let go of my last tube amp. My trusty HRD IV, which I do love.

DaphneBlue, blowtorch and Jakedog like this.
  17. Lef T

Lef T Tele-Holic

Yes,I believe it is.
    I'm going to try the Twin as soon as it hits the stores.

18. Jakedog

You dog... can’t believe you found a Gambale combo...

19. Tele22

Tele22 Tele-Meister

Cool, please give us your impressions once you've had a chance to use it.

20. DaphneBlue

DaphneBlue Tele-Meister

I'm still saving money for a milkman the amp. With a bit of luck I'll have it this winter. I'll let you know as soon as I get it.

Meanwhile I had the opportunity to listen to a guy playing an amplifire 6 into the PA. Really impressive.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.