Ultra-Cheap Acoustic Guitar

teletimetx

Doctor of Teleocity
+1 on scouting for a Yamaha. I'm not sure why you want to go with a new one, because almost 100% of the time you'll find a better value, particularly from people who decide to learn to play and then just don't. Most of those are practically new and great deals can be made. Just sayin.

DADGAD

Friend of Leo's
I found a used Yamaha with a solid spruce top at a yard sale for $75. Hold out for something with a SS top.

Dismalhead

Poster Extraordinaire
A couple of years ago I didn't have an acoustic and wanted to delve into it again so I picked up a used Ibanez IJVC50 for $85. It's a beginner acoustic but the feel of the neck and the tone were wonderful. They sell them new for around $120 in a kit form. I had a grand concert but they also have dreadnaughts and other body styles.

It got me going on the acoustic thing so much that I went and bought a Takamine A/E that I play regularly.

Amazon.com: Ibanez IJVC50 Jampack Grand Concert Acoustic Guitar Pack Natural: Musical [email protected]@[email protected]@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/[email protected]@[email protected]@515JT4z2hML

Gnobuddy

Friend of Leo's
IMHO, and based on lots of time spent trying out acoustic guitars when I was on a similar quest as you, Yamaha is the brand to beat at (or near) your price point. Even their cheapest guitars have good fret work, good tone, and good playability.

The Yamaha F355 is not quite at, but very near, your price-point. It goes for $130 at Musicians Friend, with free shipping (though you might get hit with taxes).

When I was looking for my own acoustic guitar, the thing that shocked me most was the enormous number of truly apallingly bad acoustic guitars in the showrooms. There are a lot of them that sound like cigar-boxes with strings on them, and quite a few that are better suited to beating off a charging bull than actually making music. (Using excessively thick wood makes a robust guitar to manufacture - it also makes it acoustically dead and guarantees rotten tone.)

-Gnobuddy

guit30

Tele-Afflicted
Those Epi DR-100s are really not bad for the money, They have a comfy neck and have been around for years. No worry about humidity during the winter cause it's all laminate.

3 Chord

Friend of Leo's
Carefull on craigslist, not always the best place to meet strangers. look for a blem on musicians freind. a solid top is good but a well built laminate guitar is just as good at the $100 mark. If a guitar feels good, you will play regardless of the tone. If it is hard to play it will sit in the corner of the room unless you jack up the strings and play slide.
Dont forget about guitar center used either, lots of playable cheap stuff there everyday.